The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: weight loss contest/support  (Read 22754 times)

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
Re: weight loss contest/support
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2020, 09:21:19 PM »
Well I admire you guys for jumping in to make personal improvements. I too have not been happy with some of the ways I take care of myself. But I don't think weight is one problem I have. I weigh 183, and am 6' 1". My weight only varies these days a pound or two either way. It used to swing to 10 pounds heavier in the winter, then loose it in the spring because I sat on my butt all winter. At any rate, back in 1976 I suffered a spontaneous pnuemothorax and the Doc said I should keep an extra 10 pounds on my frame for the rest of my life to reduce the chance of a re-occurrence.  This has worked so far. I am not sure what I SHOULD weigh right now, all those BMI charts are pretty much way off, because they are based on a 21 year old or something, few are adjusted for age accurately. At any rate, they say I am overweight or even obese, and if you look at me you will laugh. If I don't wear a belt, my britches fall off. I can barely grab a hunk of my belly when I am sitting down. "But the chart says......."
 My wife feeds me good food with a mix of everything. I only have fast food a few times a year. No sweet tooth to speak of (a box of cookies lasts a month or more). But it would be good for my body if I could cut back on the beer and cigarettes. I just don't know how those around me would fare, especially those at work. ;D When I retire, this is one of the first orders of business after I loose all that stress from my life. 
 I wish you guys the best of luck, and I will be cheering for you. Grabbing hold of something and just 'going for it' even though you know the pains and pitfalls takes courage and commitment. I know a little about that, but anybody that had me on their team would gain nothing by my presence.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline ESFted

• Full Member x2
  • Just a chain saw, so far.
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2020, 12:34:23 PM »
Doc, I'd join you, but in May of '18 the scales showed my 5'8.5" tubby self @220lbs.  75 years old then and was on Metformin for high blood sugar, felt tired and listless with no energy.  I said enough, life is too good to let myself turn into a couch potato blob. Went on Keto, got a macro counter app for my phone, looked at lots of YouTube videos and researched keto recipes, started working out with an elliptical and barbells. Lost 45 pounds in six months and have maintained that weight. No longer on Metformin and my blood panel looks great. 

Key elements for me were to use the macro app, set a calorie per day goal and determine the right levels of fats, proteins and carbohydrates... record what you eat.  Limit carbs to 20 or less per day.  Start your day with bulletproof coffee.  It will keep you from feeling hungry.  Buy MCT oil and add that to your coffee (start with teaspoon amounts, because it can cause gastro distress (disaster pants) until you get used to it.  It will give you an energy boost.  Look into intermittent fasting... it works. You take all your daily food/calories in a six hour period of your choosing.  I choose noon to six, so no food from six pm to noon the next day.  Lots of info on this diet on the web. Look here, and here.to start and beware the folks trying to monetize the Keto craze.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2020, 04:12:01 PM »
Well all of you success stories that do not feel the need to be part of the group,  thank you for being a part of the group.  what better way to start then by hearing from guys just like us that it is possible and not too hard to do. 
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
    • Behind the  Forestry Forum YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2020, 09:06:20 PM »
I'm in. I was at 300 yesterday morning. I was 307 last monday at the dr.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2020, 09:22:51 PM »
sounds good Jeff.  I think many of us would feel better at a lower weight.  i like that some folks with success have chimed in.  i have no preconceived ideas for this, other than to derive ideas, info, and poss. motivation from our friends.  i used to dream that Marie Osmond would come to my house.  Oh well we are all getting older.  even if someone tries, eats better, and maintains there weight instead of gaining, that is good.  i do not know about the new go low.  i know some can do keto and some cannot.  basically all the low carb. diets work the same way, just a different ways to monitor.  Adkins likes less than 20 grams of carbs per day to induce for a few weeks then 50 grams after that.  many hospitals have dietitians who will speak with you.  there are lots of books on calories and carbs ect.  just keeping track can help.  you may figure out that a lot of calories come from food or drink that you could take or leave.  My friend Renee (now an oncologist)  lost 30 pounds when her daughter Alex was dx. with type one diabetes at age 4.  she started weighing portions, and knowing calories.  I think the stress helped too.  many diets recommend modifying alcohol and caffeine.  i am a big everything in moderation guy.  I think the diets that offer pre-made food are great if you do not like to prepare meals and help with portion control.  but cost a bit. lets see how it goes.  my wife likes crunchy snack stuff and con only do low carb for about 4 days.  i think meat and veggies is a meal and can eat it all day long.  eggs and bacon in the am.  light lunch.  good supper.  the intermittent fasting is fine, if you do not overeat after a fast.  drink lots of water.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2020, 10:02:14 PM »
Marie just left here.  

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2020, 10:07:12 PM »
i was humming paper roses, just so you know! :D :D :D 8) 8) 8)

Offline EOTE

• I don't suffer from insanity-I enjoy every minute.
    • Share Post
    • Weather at EOTE
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2020, 10:08:41 PM »
And if you do see Marie Osmond, you'll say "Oh my God! She got old just like me".  She even has wrinkles!  So much for that dream!   ;D
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2020, 10:10:38 PM »
so i get up every morning, go potty  and then step on the scale.  some do not like to weigh every day, but i use it to keep me honest.  in nature we all tend to gain a few pounds a year.  does not matter if your scale matches your doctors, as long as it is consistent, it is all relative.  

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2020, 10:12:29 PM »
No one needs to tell their ht. and wt. unless they want too.  i hate to say we may all be winners (no trophy) but if we meet our goals, then I guess we are.  @Jeff ,   did she ask about me? ;)

Offline randy d

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2020, 07:57:10 AM »
I tried to post last night don't know what happened but it didn't. I didn't mean to sound like I didn't want to be part of the group its just I don't have much to offer. Its not hard for me to lose weight just have to watch what I eat and stay as active as possible I did switch from sugar on my oatmeal to stevia you can use it 1 for 1. the hardest is sweet rolls at coffee time. We have a two story house and I make many trips up and down the stairs every day and also walk at a fast pace I have always liked walking fast so there is some of the ways I take off the pounds. Randy

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2020, 08:19:42 AM »
I guess I was trying to say, that the success and tricks people use might be helpful to others.  congratulations on your good heath.  @randy d fear of failure is what keeps people from trying. knowing it can be done and having a strategy is part of the success.  did you know that 5% is the natural rate at which people quit smoking.  but with Dr. and or other support and a plan, it goes to over 50%.  we all have our habits, and in stress some smoke, drink, or eat as an emotional soother/crutch.  In residency we got free food and the only excuse you had to take  a break, was "I am eating right now, and will be there in half an hour" (routine emergencies).  more food meant a longer dinner break.  food filled the void left from no sleep in 36 hours.  I got away with it when younger, now not so much.  thanks for sharing how you do it!  has anyone tried hypnosis?  I know people who quit smoking and got off narcotic for pain with this?  There are weight loss drugs but lots of side effects and you have to change you behavior to keep a healthy weight.

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2020, 02:21:59 PM »
Stopped at the new doctor to get my BP checked and weighed. I'm down 8lbs from my visit last week.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2020, 02:31:18 PM »
great job!  i am down 4 #  and just started Monday.  i think if I had eaten the vegghetti made with zucchini noodles i would have lost more too!  :D.  great idea for the low carb. crowd.

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2020, 03:56:01 PM »
I down 31lbs now
In 3 weeks feeling good.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2020, 04:37:39 PM »
Hey! That is great!

Offline Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2020, 04:39:36 PM »
I  saw this when it started but didn't stop (you know good intentions) to weigh in til  now 231 #,   Christmas  and winter have been a little hard on me. I'm up about six pounds from September. ..I do a half hour yoga work out  average 5 out of seven days a week but I've been lax on my diet and I'll try to add in some more treadmill time (most boring place on the planet). Goal is my old Elk hunting weight of 218. I'M 6"1.  Ok now I'm accountable

Good on you both @Bruno of NH  , @Jeff.

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2020, 05:06:36 PM »
Thanks 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2020, 06:21:15 PM »
@Bruno of NH  as you know it will get tougher as you loose more weight.  great success.  that rate of loss cannot be sustained so anticipate that, and re double your efforts when that occurs.  carry on!

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2020, 06:34:39 PM »
I'm ready for it Doc
I'm in it for the long haul this time.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
weight loss

Started by getoverit on Health and Safety

23 Replies
Last post December 29, 2009, 11:31:06 AM
by Burlkraft
xx
Wood weight loss

Started by Woodhog on Forestry and Logging

4 Replies
Last post April 10, 2003, 07:52:15 PM
by Jeff
xx
My weight loss journey

Started by Okrafarmer on Health and Safety

39 Replies
Last post September 30, 2016, 09:48:59 PM
by Okrafarmer
question
Isagenix...anyone ever tried their weight loss program?

Started by Leigh Family Farm on Health and Safety

8 Replies
Last post September 08, 2014, 10:34:28 AM
by Leigh Family Farm