iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is this ??

Started by A-z farmer, January 23, 2020, 07:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A-z farmer

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Of course you would say that.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

A-z farmer

Not ash and first imported to this country in the 1700s.

moodnacreek

Not much to look at but bark. How about Norway maple?

WDH

OK, so it was a a trick :).  You did not say that it was an illegal alien ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

ginko, or chinaberry, or tree of heaven, or buckthorn, or........................ 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

EOTE

Master of the obvious...it's a tree laying on its side in the snow. 8) 8)
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

A-z farmer

It was not a trick but it was not native to this country.But I was surprised that it is considered an invasive species.
@Moodnacreek had it right
Norwegian maple

wisconsitom

Quite invasive in the north.  If you are in a town with wooded ravines, etc. they will be full of Norway maple from 150 years of seed raining down from the millions of Norway maple street and yard trees that got planted all over creation.

Once you're out in the country, rarely an issue.  The seeds from all those city trees does not fly miles out into the country.  In almost every case, Norway maple is a bad invader in urban areas and on the urban fringe.  Somebody would have to have really screwed up to have lots of Norway maples in their woods.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

WDH

Well, the bark still looks just like ash :)

A-z farmer

Those maple trees did not come from our wood lots but they came from a neighboring home owner .They were planted on the property line many years ago and like all trees they keep on spreading and growing.This was his last batch of 8 that he had a tree service cut down for 4000 .We cut the logs out for milling and the rest we cut for fire wood.We are just south of Albany New York so we have lots of houses around the fringes of our farms.
I am going to find the tree species in our woods that is the same as the oxen yoke my grand father gave me in the 1960s that was used on our farm .

bluthum

This is a perfect example of the inherent accuracy of identifying  a tree  from casual info.

wisconsitom

A-z farmer, sorry if it seemed I was criticizing your, or somebody's woods.  Not my intent, but more generally, to say that where Norway maples are found growing in a woods somewhere, they were planted there or the site is near enough to  civilization for the invasion to have occurred.

Not meaning to aim at this particular situation at all.  I didn't think they were your trees.

A-z farmer

@wisconsitom
I did not take what you said as criticism at all I am still learning about the trees around us .
I have seen the invasive species of bugs and weeds invade our crop fields but I did not realize there was also invasive species in our wood lots until a forester surveyed our farms wood lots.
I know my grand father or great grand father planted bamboo around the out house .And 40 years ago I got tired of digging out the bamboo so I burned the 4 hole out house to the ground.My uncle was not happy because it was built in the same style as the house in 1835.It did not kill the bamboo but It made me feel better at the time.
They also planted multi flora rose as living fences which I have spent many years digging out .
Zeke

wisconsitom

Yes, unfortunately, woodland invaders are common.  Up here, the worst is common buckthorn.  I've got a crew doing cut/treat work right now in a woods we're restoring.  We're going to be burning a LOT of brush!

The volunteer Norway maples that come up in ravines in cities in places like Wisconsin tend to be very nice trees.  Transplanted Norway maples eventually succumb to root-girdling, but volunteer trees-never going through this transplant-have no such problems and go on to live long lives.  The trees are handsome but they don't belong there and will out-compete even sugar maple over time.  That then is the problem-urban wooded areas that are full of these Norway maples.  I only know of one rural woodlot that is infested with this species, and that is because the son of the owner thought he was doing a good thing by transplanting trees from home or somewhere up into that woods.  This kid was on my crew one summer and is a good guy, but he was misguided in taking that tree into a sweet area of what we call the "near-north" of Wisconsin....and letting it lose in the woods.  Up where my land is, there's no such thing as a woods with Norway maple in it.

Thank You Sponsors!