iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Name this tree

Started by Nebraska, January 26, 2020, 09:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebraska

Name this pine my son is standing in front of....

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

caveman

Caveman

Nebraska

moodnacreek

I don't think there are many people who could name half the pines in this country. Especially without a twig/needles,cone.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Southside

Right behind his son...  :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Nebraska

Ok sitting in the airport waiting, these will help.

Very Southwestern US, rarest pine in America. This fellow was lining up a put a couple hundred yards away...

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Nebraska

Pacific Ocean in  backround

Southside

Ocean front property in Arizona....I've got some ocean front property in Arizona...if you buy that I'll throw the Golden Gate in free.... :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Southside on January 28, 2020, 11:42:25 AM
Ocean front property in Arizona....I've got some ocean front property in Arizona...if you buy that I'll throw the Golden Gate in free.... :D
Geez SS, I didn't know you could sing!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Clark

My first guess was mugo pine because very occasionally they have form that good. 

I had to look it up and Torrey pine would seem to be the one you're looking for...right?

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Nebraska

@Clark   Yes that was it.
Walked a big chunk of its native range,  the golf course area and the coastal reserve next door last weekend. It also grows on Santa Rosa  island northwest of San Diego.
Rarest Pine tree in North America. Will tolerate temps to 5°. I would love to plant some specimens here but that won't work far too cold. To me it looks like a wind pruned ponderosa pine, that's  just my amateur observance.
So I enjoyed the warmer weather, the waves, beach, got to watch some famous golfers do their thing, and geeked out over a few rare trees.
I got to make the 5 day trip with my wife and our son,(he graduated college in December) who now is a grown man and  I realize this as I type and marvel at how fast it goes.

Thank You Sponsors!