iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planting trees

Started by Rjwassink67, April 07, 2020, 04:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rjwassink67

I'm getting 10 each of red oak, red maple, sugar maple, and black walnut.  I am filling a space to square off a field.  Should I just plant them randomly or group them?  Does one of them do better as a edge tree?  Thanks for any advice.  

Texas Ranger

My only suggestion, other than suit your need, is to plant the black walnut away from the rest, they produce an element that will restrict the growth of the rest.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Old Nate

I'm sorry I have no insight... just curious about the spacing and the size of the trees being planted. 

I've been wanting to plant Maple trees but wasn't sure how close to place them. 

Klunker

Around here at least the faster growing to slowest will be Black Walnut, Red Maple, Red Oak and last Sugar Maple.

If your looking for lumber you'll want to plant them closer and make them grow up rather than out.

Local forester can probaly give you and idea on spacing.
However with just 40 trees you'll have a good percentage on the edge where they will likely grow out (crooked) rather than up.

Your choice on types is interesting.

Me. I'd go with the Walnut, White Oak instead of Red Oak, Black Cherry rather than Red Maple and Shagbark Hickory rather than the Sugar Maple.
All of these trees are more of Pioneer/Intermediate species that would do better in an open area with lots of sunlight.

woodnie

I would plant oaks on the outside since they need full sunlight. Then walnut, hopefully they will get enough light and will outgrow the oak and not get limby , prune and release as necessary.finally the maples farthest away from the edge since they are  the most shade tolerant. Good luck...
"Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant"

ppine

What is your end use?  Windbreak, ornamentals, lumber, shade?
Mix the species up.  Give them ample growing space.  Do not plant in rows, plant in small groups. 
Forester

Walnut Beast

Holly smokes!! Does anybody else plant lots of trees! Looking at a place that planted 24,000 trees for deer/ wildlife  and shelter belt. Well established. Fifteen years ago most were planted. Does look good

Does anybody know what the other trees are in the picture besides the cedar trees

SwampDonkey

Dead cedars?

Planted probably close to 100,000 on the farm 20-33 years ago. Small part on old field, the rest on cutover ground. Planted mostly spruces, a few pines and even 2500 or so yellow birch seedlings.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

customsawyer

I used to plant lots of trees but they was mostly pines. Did a few hardwood tracts over the years. Just to get MM's blood flowing, I even was hired to plant sweet gum once. Most of the hardwoods were Oak, Poplar and cypress. Some of the tracts was for hardwood stands but most were for wildlife.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ppine

You are talking about relatively few trees.  Plant them however you want, but allow adequate spacing. Normally you want 8 feet or more between trees or there will be thinning requirements. 

I have run planting crews of over 30 people at a time.  We planted ponderosa pine in Arizona for the month of April.  We averaged around 500-600 seedlings per person per day in hard ground.  That is around 500,000 seedlings.   Watch for j roots and plant at the right depth.
Forester

JonathanPace

Plant your oak on the outer perimeter. They love the sun. As @TexasRanger said, keep your black walnut away from the rest of your 'forest .'Keep them closer to stop your tree's from growing outwards versus upwards. From a logging aspect, this makes sense. Also, @Klunker has a good point with his recommendations about species (worth looking into).

rworkman98

Interesting topic.  What is the best spacing for "ornamental" use, when you want the trees to grow out and full (not just have leaves as the top when they are mature)?  Is there a recommended minimum spacing?

Ron Scott

There is normally no recommended minimum spacing as there is for timber production plantations. Base your spacing of the ornamentals on the specific species characteristics that you want to display based on your landscape management plan objectives for the involved area.

You might also want to use the existing native vegetation that you have on site to complement your plan.
~Ron

Ianab

Spacing for specimen ornamental trees is basically "huge" if you want to keep a column tree. If the trees are close enough to close in the canopy the lower branches are going to be shaded, gradually die off and be shed. If you want them to stay as a leafy column all the tree has to get at least some sun.  A hedge is sort of a 1/2 way thing, the trees will keep leaves on the outside of the hedge, but very little in the space between trees. 

Different aim from forestry trees, where you want both the maximum production, and produce good logs with minimal branches / knots. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!