iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Climate Change Initiative for New Brunswick Woodlot Owners

Started by SwampDonkey, April 26, 2020, 06:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

The New Brunswick Federation of Woodlot Owners (NBFWO) is working to build the capacity to adapt to changing environmental conditions on private woodlots. This three year project (Fall 2018 - Fall 2021) is supported by funding from Natural Resource Canada's Climate Change Adaptation Program, GNB's Environmental Trust Fund, as well as through work by our project partners, Community Forests International, University of New Brunswick and the NB Department of Natural Resources and Energy Development.

https://nbwoodlotowners.ca/building-capacity-of-nb-woodlot-owners-to-adapt-to-climate-change
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Klunker

Do they have some inside information on what the climate will be in 30 years, 50, 100?

All the past stuff has been based on models Models like the covid 19 models which have been shown to be wildly wrong.

SwampDonkey

I'm really not involved in it directly and just came across the website.

But, as far as forest modelling goes, they've been doing such things for quite some time for growth and yield by periodic measurements in established permanent sampling plots. Have used models to predict budworm and fire since the 70's I think. There have also been climate-forest studies since the 80's. So essentially, we use forest modelling all the time. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Klunker

Not so much forest modeling but climate modeling.

How accurate has the last 50 years of predictions on the climate been?

There has been claims of an up coming Ice Age, then it was upcoming global warming and now we use a catch all "climate change".

The Climate has been changing for hundreds of Millions of years.

There was once forests growing on both the south and north poles. Beech forests on the south pole, think of that. And there has been times when there has been ice covering a large chunk of north American YEAR round. That was just recently too.

I live close to the Great Lakes. A couple of years ago it was "OMG, the lake levels are falling, Global warming!!". In the last couple of years the lakes are now very high. Now I hear "OMG, the lakes are high, Climate Change!!".  How about the lake levels rise and fall. They have been since they were formed. Nothing new here to see.

Just getting tired of it all I guess. No common sense any more, everything is proof of some greater looming catastrophe.

SwampDonkey

Yeah, I hear ya. But we model the weather daily, which leads to climate modelling in itself. I think everyone up here forgets David Suzuki's prediction on a mini ice age coming because we had a few bad winters in the 70's. And in Europe, during WWII the winters were brutal, then the track of the jetstream went northward and England had decades of milder winters, although I think recently they had a bad one. Then we have had a lot of TV that used celebrities, who were not scientists, to spout predictions to suit someone's agenda. Remember Leonard Nimoy on "In Search of"? Lots of stuff on there to make the eyes roll, including a mini ice age episode. :D  

Klunker

Yea, modeling, that sort of stuff used to be called a "swag", short for "Scientific Wild A** Guess". :D

I was watching a show about Hurricanes. There are several Models used to determine the future track of an existing hurricane.
The different models would show the same hurricane hitting any where from the south coast of Florida to South Carolina in less than 48 hours time.
If the models can't get the track of a hurricane close why does anyone think that they can tell us what the weather is going to be 50 years from now.

Another interesting tidbit. In all this hysteria over "climate change" I never see the Sun play any factor. Its always ignored completely. Ask any meteorologist what the biggest factor in the weather they will tell you its the sun. The Earths path thru space is always changing, its tilt on the axis changes, the Sun changes its amount of solar eruptions and none of this supposedly has any factor in our climate?

Of course if its admitted that the Sun is the biggest factor in future climate then nobody with a lick of common sense would still still for increasing the cost of living to combat "climate change".

So back to your original post. I guess I see this "New Climate Change Initiative" for woodlot owners as a waste of time and resources. Like I aked in my first post, "do they have some insight on what the climate will be like in decades to come?" I doubt they KNOW what it will be like. Are you as a woodlot owner in New Brunswick going to start planting Cypress trees cause the climate is getting warmer and the oceans are going to rise? Planting anything other than what has grown in any region for the last hundred years is risky business. I know in my case I'm going to continue planting local native trees.

In fact I'm leaving to pick up my order of trees soon, White Oak and Basswood. Both have been growing in South Eastern Wisconsin very well for the last several hundred years!!

SwampDonkey

All I have seen so far from them is a decision flow diagram which is dependant on even or uneven aged stands and using existing species, not introducing anything, and looking at natural regeneration to determine silviculture as you work down through the flow chart. For me, that is nothing new that I could see. Trouble is, clear cutting is always the quickest cheapest path and mostly what gets implemented up here. The volume of wood harvested otherwise wouldn't make 5%.

mike_belben

Quote from: Klunker on April 29, 2020, 01:10:39 AM
Do they have some inside information on what the climate will be in 30 years, 50, 100?

All the past stuff has been based on models Models like the covid 19 models which have been shown to be wildly wrong.
You might want to consider who the "they" is first. As you said climate change is constant and humanity has always adapted to it.

I must urge everyone to atleast consider the possibility that climate change fearmongers on the other hand, are just another coercive wealth conveyor.  A scam.   Carbon credits for example.  Send us money to turn down the sun.   Could this not be  a money transfer scheme?  Evil people will say and do anything. 

Look into green cross international and its founder.  Didnt waste any time coming over here to change our world as soon as we said "welcome comrade"

The covid bodycount hasnt materialized in my personal life any faster than the polar bear death toll.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!