iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT 35 diesel question, Tier 3 ??

Started by DocGP, May 28, 2020, 02:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocGP

I am hoping to get down payment ready to order mill by mid july so I can take advantage of the sales price.  Was set on diesel, but wanted to confirm it is a tier 3 diesel.  I thought the cut off for Tier 4 requirements were 25 hp, and since the LT35 is 24.5 HP, it should fall below the requirements.  Can someone confirm this for me??  I see Tier 4 mentioned on the LT 40, but not the 35.

Any first hand experience with this little engine would also be appreciated?

Thanks
Doc
Ole Country Vet
LT 50 HDD
MX 5100 for the grunt work
Stihl MS 261 C-M

CCCLLC

I have the 35 hp diesel on a lt40 and was told it's tier 4 by WM (2017). Unsure now and appreciate the good question. Other members know a lot more about a diesel than me. Looking forward to responses.

CCCLLC

I missed the fact that you were talking about lt35. My lt40, "35hp" probably is a tier 4 as told. So much for my speed reading skills.

DocGP

I'm not even sure it the "Tier 3" is the proper way to describe it.  Do you have DEF with the LT 35?  When I have to retire my little L3010 Kubota, I will down size 5 hp to the L2501, as it doesn't require DEF.  Hoping the small diesel mill wouldn't need it.

Doc
Ole Country Vet
LT 50 HDD
Stihl MS 261 C-M

KenMac

Not totally sure, but I think all diesels at 25 hp and down are the old stand-by mechanical pumps and there is no electronics or emission controls.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Southside

Honestly the only way to be sure is to call WM and ask them.  HP, frame year, the number of cloudy days in Penokee, KS all seem to be a factor in what a manufacturer can set on a product for a diesel power plant.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DocGP

Just talked to the engine guy at Woodmizer, and he informed me that it is considered a tier 4 engine, but doesn't have the regen complications on it.  So, leaning that way I think.  Still lots to contemplate.

Doc
Ole Country Vet
LT 50 HDD
Stihl MS 261 C-M

KenMac

I have a Perkins 67 hp on my 2019 model AC36 and it does not regen or take any DEF. It has what smells like a catalytic converter on it. The exhaust smells like one with a catalytic converter anyway. I think the regen and dpf stuff starts at 75 hp, or so I've been told.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Two Trax

KenMac has it right. Under 25 HP has no emmission stuff. No DEF, DPF or computer. No regen nonsense. Mechanical pump and injection. Should be a sweet setup! Good luck with the new mill!
Livin the dream!

thecfarm

Stepson just bought a Kubota tractor. He bought the 25hp model to keep away from all the regulations, regen.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Patrick NC

Quote from: DocGP on May 28, 2020, 02:41:14 PM
I am hoping to get down payment ready to order mill by mid july so I can take advantage of the sales price.  Was set on diesel, but wanted to confirm it is a tier 3 diesel.  I thought the cut off for Tier 4 requirements were 25 hp, and since the LT35 is 24.5 HP, it should fall below the requirements.  Can someone confirm this for me??  I see Tier 4 mentioned on the LT 40, but not the 35.

Any first hand experience with this little engine would also be appreciated?

Thanks
Doc
That engine does not have a dpf system. They call it tier 4 compliant but it is the same as the older ones. It's just a play on words if that makes sense. Technically it is tier 4 compliant because the rules state that any diesel engine 25 hp or less does not require it.
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Thank You Sponsors!