iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Covid question

Started by Dewey, July 09, 2020, 06:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewey

One of my guys called me after work today to let me know that one of his buddies that he hung around with yesterday was tested positive with Covid. Si now I wonder what to do......  He usually works by himself and can certainly keep a distance... what would you guys recommend....   give him a couple weeks off or work outside by himself ?

Bruno of NH

Make him stay home 14 days.
You don't need to get sick.
Or your other employees. 
Just my opinion. 
Bruno 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Southside

As an employer the only choice you have is to look up the guidelines for the State of Maine, record them so you have a copy down the road, then follow them.  Most likely it will be exactly what Bruno said.  To do otherwise could put you in legal jeopardy.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

That's the thing .
You always have to worry about the legal ramifications about any issue owning a business. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ianab

Quote from: Dewey on July 09, 2020, 06:35:00 PMgive him a couple weeks off

Yup. You don't need to be the next cluster of cases. 

Only way to get control of the virus is to isolate anyone that even potentially has it. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doc henderson

If the guy (friend)  had been tested (with a few day delay in results), he was supposed to be self quarantining.  your employee can be off, or get tested and or social distance, and wear a mask in close quarters.  even if he tests negative, there is a high false negative rate and there is a 30% chance he actually is positive, even if he tests negative.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

YellowHammer

If you go to the CDC website, they explain in great detail what you have to do, as an employer.  I have been reading it a lot, lately.

Here is the link:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/guidance-business-response.html

It addresses your situation specifically, quote:
"Most workplaces should follow the Public Health Recommendations for Community-Related Exposure and instruct potentially exposed employees to stay home for 14 days, telework if possible, and self-monitor for symptoms."
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

firefighter ontheside

have hime take 2 weeks off and If he doesnt get sick he can come back to work.  If he doesn't like it, tell him he should have maintained social distance.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

thecfarm

2 weeks for sure. You don't want a customer coming in to your business and knowing he was in contact with someone that has the virus, would you put you in a big mess. Or even if a suppler came in.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

taylorsmissbeehaven

I called my main source of logs yesterday to see if he had a load for me. He informed me that one of his guys tested positive last week. He shut the entire operation down for 2 weeks. Gotta do what you gotta do! These are crazy time...... Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Nebraska

It's just a huge pain  but you have follow the guidelines if you are an employer  somehow by the Grace we haven't had to shut the office down yet. 

doc henderson

one of my mid level provider's mom tested + and was sick.  the mid level tested negative despite being physically close.  no symptoms.  so far all of our + healthcare folks got it outside of the hospital when traced.  the hygiene stuff seems to help.  we do it at work, not so much at home.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

lazyflee

I had a cook call in on Wednesday. Bad headache and cough. He was at the hospital getting tested for covid. My wife and I immediately closed our restaurant. All employees and ourselves are getting tested. Yes, there are many false results, but if we all test negative, we will open back up. May switch to togo food and outdoor seating only. We have a pretty big surge in cases here in Montana with ALL the tourists coming. Many non believers here are changing their mind quickly as people they know are now in the hospital. 

Thank You Sponsors!