iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carbide band blades... I know, I, know..

Started by chinaberry, July 24, 2020, 10:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chinaberry

Thinking about using these on a LT35.  And I have read most of the comments about these blades from you experienced sawyers.  I'm taking delivery on a new saw in 2 weeks, without the debarker... thought that these blades may be advantageous in lieu of the debarker.  
Couple of questions for you experienced sawyers out there...
1). Can I assume that you don't have to use a setter on these blades?
2). Does woodmizer sharpen these in the resharp program?
3). Do they set them?
4). How much do they charge?  Double regular blades?
5). Is 25 hp enough for these blades?

I will be sawing oak and some hickory to begin with.  For regular blades I was thinking of using Doublehard alloy blades... suggestions... would 4* or 7* be better?  So much to know about blades alone.  Thanks.

terrifictimbersllc

Question one and three, If they are the Woodmizer razortips no you don't use a setter on these. The carbide tip width is the set, Similar to a carbide tip is wider than a circular blade plate on your tablesaw.

Pretty sure others would tell you that an LT 35 would be great with 4 degree doublehard blades on a lot of woods including Hickory.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

chinaberry

Thanks, terrific... that makes sense.  I am trying to keep the types of blades in inventory at a minimum.  Would be helpful if working on your own blades... that you could save a lot of time not having to set.  Or if you used all carbide, you could do without spending $2500 on a tooth setter.

terrifictimbersllc

I have one carbide band I got for free. 5 more coming with a diamond wheel. I think one could sharpen freehand with a flat diamond hone with reasonable success a few times, all their sharpening is about is a light flat face grind. No gullet or back grind.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Peter Drouin

Save your $$$$ unless you can debark the whole log, That debarker will cost more than the setter.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

chinaberry

Hello, Peter... for those of us mentally challenged, would you be so kind to explain what you mean?  Are you saying I should get the debarker?

Southside

True the mud saw is not as good as a whole log debarker, but I would NOT want to saw without one. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

When I had a carbide blade re-sharpened by Re-sharp, the cost was about double that of a regular doublehard blade.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DWyatt

Does anyone know the number of sharpenings you can get out of one of the carbides?

Brad_bb

I recently purchased one carbide to try in Osage.  Double hard 4 degree is fine in green osage, but once it starts drying a little... I'm interested to see if the carbide helps at all.  I'm now worried about the HP comment with my 19hp Kohler.  I hope it's enough power.  After all, Doug in INdy did sell me one knowing I had an LT15.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Southside

The carbide is a regular 7 profile, not the deep gullet turbo, so you should be fine.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

I love my debarker on my LT35. I love watching that little thin white groove open in the bark just inches ahead of my blade. Lacking a laser it also shows where my blade is going although that is a collateral benefit and not why I bought it.

Eventually I will use up my remaining stock of 7 & 10 degree WM dh bands and I will use only 4 degree blades. They are the best all purpose blades I have found for the kinds of wood and techniques I follow using my mill. 

Good luck and for my money - buy the debarker and some 4 degree DH blades at least as a test. If you did not buy the 2 additional/optional side supports for your mill run, don't walk, to the nearest phone or e-mail and get them ordered. JMHO.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Southside on July 24, 2020, 09:16:53 PM
The carbide is a regular 7 profile, not the deep gullet turbo, so you should be fine.
The carbide sample I received and the box I have on order are 7/39 (Turbo 7). 1-1/2, 045, 195"

chinaberry

You guys are a wealth of information... thanks for taking the time, and thanks for sharing!

Magicman

I would not trade my Debarker for any blade, carbide or whatever.  Ain't giving up the Debarker.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

I'm not sure yet how I'll use the carbide bands. 

The one I used, I used to saw about 4500 board feet of 1" from cedar power poles, that the customer knew did not have metal in them. 

I resaw beams for a business who de-nails them carefully. The guy is good at removing all the metal.  His  risk of a carbide blade charge should be balanced by the dulled band charges I usually impose, and the production rate should go up because of not changing 10 bands a day or more which matters a lot because there are 3-4 paid employees attending my sawing when I'm there. 

Otherwise, since I probably hit metal on every other job, I'll have to figure out where to effectively use them. At least I'm prepared for more cedar power poles. 

YellowHammer

I knocked my debarker out of alignment the other day, and figured I'd wait for the end of the day to address it.  Nope, I noticeably dulled bands faster and within a short time I stopped sawing and got the wrenches out.  

A debarker is a very valuable option.  It pays for itself pretty fast.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

chinaberry

You guys have convinced me... gonna have the debarker installed on the mill.  Was just trying to keep the cost down.  I guess it's like "tripping over a dollar to pick-up a dime."

Magicman

I gotta ask, where will you get Oak and Hickory in Buras?  I'll admit that I have never been there but I imagined coastal with not much for trees.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chinaberry

Hello, MM...  You are mostly correct, we don't have any marketable timber down here.  However, we do have trees.  Buras is on the West Bank of the Mississippi River about 60 miles southeast of New Orleans.  One road in, one road out (Hwy 23).  

We sit in a "bowl", if you will... with the river levee and the marsh levee to the west.  The only way this place is inhabitable year round is due to the drainage canal that runs the length of Plaquemines Parish, together with the system of huge pumps that pump the rainwater back into the gulf. 

I own a rather rather modest 14 acres down here... (pics to come later), if anyone is interested.  My place is next to the old Grande Bayou Laird which used to be, years ago, before they leveed the big river, a navigable tributary of the Mississippi.

To make a long story longer... my place used to be an orange grove, before Hurricane Betsy destroyed it.  (It was never replanted).  That was back in the mid sixties.

Back to the trees... I have around 30 huge live oak trees which some are estimated to be 300 yrs old.  Also, a good number of smaller live oak (maybe ave 18" dia).  About 99% of these oaks are off limits for cutting.

I do have maybe 100 or so, water oak and swamp hickory (pignut?) that are my targets.  Also have a lot of hackberry, and Chinese tallow that I don't think are good for nothin'.  (did God make such a thing?).

Those will get me started.  Plan to get some urban logs, and I have a timber guy in Wiggins, MS who said he would get me logs.  We will see.
I am to start with,at least, a hobby sawyer.  We will see if later, I can make a little money with this.

I thought golf was an expensive hobby, until I got infected with the sawmill bug!

I have been lurking around ff for awhile now... finally getting a saw... can't wait!  Thanks to you guys who contribute to this site with your time and knowledge and experience.. a great place to be!

Clay.   (Sorry to be so long windded).  How do you spell that?  I will, from now on try to keep it brief.

Magicman

No apology necessary because I knew that there had to be a story somewhere.  You will get some fabulous SYP logs from Wiggins.  That is a bit over 100 miles from me but I have sawed there a few times. 

chinaberry

Magicman

chinaberry

Yea, 36' gooseneck pulled with Dodge 4500 Cummins.  I use this to make my living now, hotshotting oilfield equipt. out of docks in Venice.  If you lookin the background, you can see large live oaks.

Peter Drouin

Chinaberry. The best place for a carbide blade is in a Woodmizer malty head resawing cants into 1" lumber. Nice clean wood. The environment. of a blade in a log with just a mud saw will not last long. Don't forget the blade has to come out the other side of the log that has no mud saw 
 I went through a bunch of boxes of them, got the diamond wheel too. I gave them a chance to show what they can do. 
You can sharpen them 1 or 2 times then the tooth will twist- not squire to the body of the blade. Sand, rocks will do that. Or brake the carbide off the tooth.
At $80.00 each, It can get expensive fast. ;)
All I run now are 11/4" Turbo7s x 55. work good for me but the rocks and sand will snap off the tip of the tooth sometimes. The reg 7s not so much.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!