The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: accidental poisoning  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • Share Post
Re: accidental poisoning
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2020, 02:33:09 PM »
This reminds me of a time ...

My youngest son just turned 40 the day before my oldest son turned 44. This is information to show a picture of technology at that time. Phones were fixed appliances attached to the wall in the kitchen. 

Now return with me to that yesteryear about 38 years ago. Its a beautiful fall day and both boys are in the backyard playing. My youngest was sitting on the back step and I noticed he appeared to be eating something and I went out to investigate. It was something that looked like dry oatmeal in a plain cardboard box. I asked him what it was and he shrugged. I said where did you get that and he pointed to the neighbors barn. 

A call to poison control said it could be poison and I should take him directly to the nearest emergency room and do not wait for an ambulance. They took the information about what hospital was closest, told me they would call ahead to alert the hospital and they told me to take the box with me. I threw the six year old in the front seat, grabbed the 2 year old and put him in his car seat. 

I backed out of the driveway spinning gravel, and broke every speed limit on the longest 25 mile journey of my life. As I got to a bypass that had a hospital exit, I saw a police cruiser at the on-ramp. I began to pullover and the officer yelled out Are you the lady with the poison incident?  I was hoping he would take the baby but he just told me to follow him very closely. He said not to permit any space between us. 

I was driving a 70 Cutlass with eight cylinders and at one point we were actually up on two tires taking the turn. My oldest son was having the time of his life with the siren going and the speed, and he said, Mommy!  This is just like Starsky and Hutch.  

We arrived at the emergency entrance, and the police officer took charge of my Starsky and Hutch fan.   And a doctor grabbed the baby while a nurse took the cardboard box and she began paging through a very big book. I could hear the stomach pumping machine start up and then the nurse yelled out, Hold up its only Decon.  

After I was told that it would take a few boxes that size to even give him a belly ache, all that I cared about was getting back home. The police officer did comment to the doctor that he was relieved about the baby but Mom might need a little something. 

We return you now to your regular scheduled program. 
Say when

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2020, 03:27:52 PM »
Phew!

That definitely trumps the time my daughter painted herself in nail polish.
Proverbs 19:11

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2020, 04:54:29 PM »
modern day rat poison is usually green or blue colored so if you bring your child in with concerns of consumption, their mouth should be green or blue all over!  smart.  
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2020, 05:42:36 PM »
Yeah! Sure!  NOW they make it obvious!  We were the tough crowd walking 70 miles to school, uphill both ways in a blizzard. 
Say when

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2020, 10:22:01 PM »
modern day rat poison is usually green or blue colored so if you bring your child in with concerns of consumption, their mouth should be green or blue all over!  smart.  
And that stuff will kill rats.....if they eat enough to sink a small boat.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2020, 01:10:10 PM »
A good friend recently pulled a dumb stunt that could have been a lot worse. She was using an essential oil diluted with water to keep wasps out of the hummingbird feeder. She was mixing a batch with the dropper out of the bottle to speed things up and dumped almost all of it in. She added more water then without thinking put in the fridge. Next morning she grabbed what was supposed to be the water bottle and took a swig, that woke her up! When we talked her tongue was numb and throat very sore. She said she would call the poison control center, she is a half hour from the nearest hospital, but later confessed she didn't do it. DanG she is stubborn!! Fortunately she didn't suffer any long term side effects but that stuff is nothing to mess with.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2020, 03:58:04 PM »
She was using an essential oil diluted with water to keep wasps out of the hummingbird feeder.
OK, tell me a bit more about this solution to keep wasps out.  I ain't gonna drink it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2020, 08:34:18 PM »
I am curious about how she was using it as well, I'll ask.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Accidental Catch

Started by Ernie on General Board

13 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 01:37:25 AM
by WildDog
xx
Getting rid of accidental quote

Started by 711ac on Technical Support Topics

2 Replies
Last post April 21, 2021, 08:48:27 AM
by Mooseherder