iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

accidental poisoning

Started by doc henderson, August 02, 2020, 10:39:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

so in my work I see lots of stuff.  some of which makes me a little paranoid and drives my family crazy.  with all the MVAs as an example, I am always lecturing my kids and wife on driving.  this happened the other day and made me shake my head.  there is a candy made like gummies and very sour that kids love.  I am not a fan of drugs (still illegal in Ks)  and this manufacture purposely made this package to look just like the candy sour patch kids.  but it is stoner patch.  and the THC is 50mg each.  a child ate 4 as grandma watched (as the babysitter), thinking they were just candy.  they belonged to a parent and were left out.  the normal adult dose is 2.5 to 10 mg if naïve to the drug.  safety with other chemicals is important too.

the child will be ok.  this is poison control for the country.  it is supposed to work in each state.  you will get a pharmacist at a teaching hospital to tell you if you need to go to the hospital, or what to watch for.

these frig magnets are available nationwide, at you pediatrician, health department.
are frig doors even made out of metal anymore? :)  keep all drugs and chemicals out of the reach of those kids!   ;)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Thanks for the info Doc. It's just wrong that such a product can be labeled in such a manner while at the same time a SWAT team descends onto a farmer for bringing raw milk into Washington DC. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

sawguy21

I am glad the child will be ok. Hope this will be a lesson for the adults but unforrtunately not everyone will get the message.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Old Greenhorn

Wow! I can't imagine somebody thought this was a good idea when they were sober (oh, wait...). Seriously, this is bad stuff and shame on the adults for their 'medication' control habits.
 That poison control number should be in every cell phone. I put it in mine years ago when I was actively running EMS along with the numbers direct to the charge desk at each ER we worked with, the state  child abuse hotline, and later the cell numbers in each of out ambulances.
 Thanks for posting it Doc, it made me go check to see if I still had it in there and I do. I suppose I could take some of those other numbers out, but you never know when they might come in handy.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

you are a good neighbor and I would leave them in for the next time someone asks you advice or for help.  all adults should prob. have them.  can save a lot of nervous parents from unneeded visits to ED, and more important, going in when you really need to.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Good call OG - I just put it into my phone.  Thanks in advance should I ever need to use it.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Danny - maybe you should also include an off road towing service number too?  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

samandothers

Quote from: Southside on August 02, 2020, 10:14:39 PM
Danny - maybe you should also include an off road towing service number too?  :D

OUCH!  :D

Thanks I added too, the poison help that is.

WDH

Jim,

You probably need to upgrade the speakers in your truck, too :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Banjo picker

Good call doc.  We have a sticker on the fridge & gave one to my son as well, but didn't have it in my phone.  I do now.  Thanks Tim 
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Nebraska

You know selling that stuff used to be a felony ::).   I am putting the number in my phone, it will save a few seconds of looking next time I need it.

Nebraska

Just an fyi there are several animal poison control numbers, ASPCA has one but they do charge a consulting fee. I won't put the numbers up since they charge fees but they do exist. 

alan gage

That's too bad. Glad the kid is ok.

I miss the good old days when they only used cartoons to sell cigarettes.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

mike_belben

Me too.  My 9 yr old daughters best friend slept over 2 nights ago and brought her smart phone.. The first my kids have had access to.  What a disaster.  I banned the thing from my house after concluding i just cant get kids to understand how many predators are on the other side of that screen.  Nevermind the bickering it caused between the 3 kids.

If i could just find a replacement mainboard for Mr Fusion and get this thing up to 88 again..  Id take us the heck away from 2020.
Praise The Lord

Southside

Mike, you're crafty enough, just build the train version. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Don P

Oh, we all know Mike's untrainable  :D

mike_belben

Quote from: Don P on August 12, 2020, 02:38:10 PM
Oh, we all know Mike's untrainable  :D
Buddy I will give you that.  Theres only one authority i surrender to.  I just let my wife think she's Him.    ;)
I sure hope He makes something better of me soon!
Praise The Lord

Don P

It was just laying there begging  :D
Hope you're on the mend soon  :)

petefrom bearswamp

I was going to tell my wife about the fridge magnet when to my surprise I looked up and lo and behold there was already one on our fridge.
Dumb me I hadn't noticed it.
Smart gal, my wife, after all she married me.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Roxie

This reminds me of a time ...

My youngest son just turned 40 the day before my oldest son turned 44. This is information to show a picture of technology at that time. Phones were fixed appliances attached to the wall in the kitchen. 

Now return with me to that yesteryear about 38 years ago. It's a beautiful fall day and both boys are in the backyard playing. My youngest was sitting on the back step and I noticed he appeared to be eating something and I went out to investigate. It was something that looked like dry oatmeal in a plain cardboard box. I asked him what it was and he shrugged. I said where did you get that and he pointed to the neighbors barn. 

A call to poison control said it could be poison and I should take him directly to the nearest emergency room and do not wait for an ambulance. They took the information about what hospital was closest, told me they would call ahead to alert the hospital and they told me to take the box with me. I threw the six year old in the front seat, grabbed the 2 year old and put him in his car seat. 

I backed out of the driveway spinning gravel, and broke every speed limit on the longest 25 mile journey of my life. As I got to a bypass that had a hospital exit, I saw a police cruiser at the on-ramp. I began to pullover and the officer yelled out "Are you the lady with the poison incident?"  I was hoping he would take the baby but he just told me to follow him very closely. He said not to permit any space between us. 

I was driving a 70 Cutlass with eight cylinders and at one point we were actually up on two tires taking the turn. My oldest son was having the time of his life with the siren going and the speed, and he said, "Mommy!  This is just like Starsky and Hutch."  

We arrived at the emergency entrance, and the police officer took charge of my Starsky and Hutch fan.   And a doctor grabbed the baby while a nurse took the cardboard box and she began paging through a very big book. I could hear the stomach pumping machine start up and then the nurse yelled out, "Hold up it's only Decon."  

After I was told that it would take a few boxes that size to even give him a belly ache, all that I cared about was getting back home. The police officer did comment to the doctor that he was relieved about the baby but Mom might need a little something. 

We return you now to your regular scheduled program. 
Say when

mike_belben

Phew!

That definitely trumps the time my daughter painted herself in nail polish.
Praise The Lord

doc henderson

modern day rat poison is usually green or blue colored so if you bring your child in with concerns of consumption, their mouth should be green or blue all over!  smart.  

Roxie

Yeah! Sure!  NOW they make it obvious!  We were the tough crowd walking 70 miles to school, uphill both ways in a blizzard. 
Say when

Banjo picker

Quote from: doc henderson on August 14, 2020, 04:54:29 PM
modern day rat poison is usually green or blue colored so if you bring your child in with concerns of consumption, their mouth should be green or blue all over!  smart.  
And that stuff will kill rats.....if they eat enough to sink a small boat.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!