iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diesel engine dying

Started by Jim_Rogers, March 06, 2020, 03:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Ok, so here is the back story.
My logger has a log truck whose engine keeps dying when the water temperature in the radiator/engine reads 150°
He would have to get off the loader and restart the engine.
He took it to a service place and then said it had a bad injector. Got all injectors replaced.
They found a crack in the head.
Had a new head put in or repaired the old one.
And probably more done that I don't know about.
He told me today he's spent $10,000 rebuilding that engine.
Since it has be rebuilt the same problem still happens.

Now today, he told me that his bucket truck engine is now doing the same thing.
When the engine gets up to 180° the engine stalls. He has to get down out of the bucket if up there, or have someone standing by to restart the truck.

He can't understand how two truck can have the exact same problem and no one in our area can figure out what's causing it or how to fix it.

Does anyone have any advice?

Jim Rogers
PS. don't ask me a lot of questions because I most likely won't know the answers.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

SawyerTed

This is just a guess.  It sounds like it's related to the cooling system, water pump, thermostat, fan clutch or electric fan.  Again it's just a WAG.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Jim_Rogers

When he was here, in my yard, with his log truck before and after the repair; I would sit in the drivers seat and start the truck every time it stalled. Was not fun for him or me.
He thought that all those repairs would solve the problem but the guy who did them all can't figure out why the engine still stalls.

Jim Rogers

barbender

If it's doing it in both trucks, I would suspect bad fuel, and maybe filter icing. Was it really cold out when this was happening?
Too many irons in the fire

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: barbender on March 06, 2020, 04:16:39 PM
If it's doing it in both trucks, I would suspect bad fuel, and maybe filter icing. Was it really cold out when this was happening?
no, but he said he does believe it is fuel related.
Jim Rogers

dgdrls

Hey Jim,

what motor(s) and years if you know?

Dan

Bruno of NH

I would change my fuel supplier to see if that would make a difference. 
I had a ford f350 with a non turbo 7.3 in it.
When ever I put power service winter fuel treatment in it , it would never stay running, stall out when hot.
Quit using that's stuff no problems.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bandmill Bandit

I have seen situations where this problem comes up in spring and fall and is related to condensation AND ethanol impregnated fuel. Ethanol attracts water and emulsifies it at certain temp ranges which can in effect cause a low pressure "vapor lock" when the engine heats the water attached to the ethanol and  steams it out of the fuel.  Quite often happens at the exit side the fuel filter block. The pressure lock is low enough that the fuel pump will generally over come it on restart but it will continue to happen. A fresh water separator cartridge will help for a while as a rule. Winter diesel is more prone to it than summer diesel.       
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Banjo picker

I would check water separator/ fuel filter.  Last week my knuckle boom would crank run for just a bit then die....wait a minute and it would do it again.  Put on new filter ...drained the fuel tank ,and put in fresh fuel, problem resolved.   Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Bandmill Bandit

You got the one I missed Banjo. YES drain the fuel tank as well. That generally gets rid of the pooled water in the tank but do check to make sure it clear of water before you re fill with fresh fuel. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Jim_Rogers

I printed out all your suggestions and just took them over to him. He said that the vapor lock thing sounds logical but that it doesn't add up, to him.
His log truck is just about empty of fuel, he may try and drain it and see if what he takes out has any water in it by putting some in a glass jar and let it settle out for a few days.
Both trucks, the log truck and the bucket truck are 466 international engines.
His third truck, which he says is running the exact same fuel from the same source and his chipper machine, don't have any problems with that fuel.
Once the log truck engine gets over 150° water temperature, it runs fine.
He said he puts 911 fuel treatment in, but just a little at a time not a whole jug.

Jim Rogers

james

change the water separator and fuel filter if using ANY amount of 911 in them it can cause malfunction in the filter that doesn't show to the naked eye  james

Banjo picker

Jim, if you put fuel In a glass jar you will see the results immediately if there is a major problem.  Won't have to wait days. Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

moodnacreek

When the red fuel that I get changed from low sulfur to ultra low sulfur, did I have trouble. Constantly changing filters. In the plastic gas cans that I am very careful with, I found 'stuff' in the bottoms that I did not put in there. This happens from the diesel sitting around. There is now a shelf life problem and I buy bulk and always have old fuel in sweating old tanks. The 'Kullem' brand of fuel treatment seams to be working now. Some fuel filters will plug and when the engine sthals unplug for a while. Almost all diesel running problems are fuel related.

jmouton

lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Jim_Rogers

My logger showed up a few minutes ago with his truck.
All fixed.
It was the cam sensor. A $26 part. He's been chasing this problem he says for 2 years.
Changed the same part in his bucket truck and that solved that problem as well.

Jim Rogers

Babylon519

Wow! Spent $10 grand chasing a $26 part? I sure couldn't afford to do that. On the other hand, taking two years to find the solution is usually what happens around my place!
Jason

Jason
1960 IH B-275 - same vintage as me!
1960 Circle Sawmill 42"
Stihl MS440 & a half-dozen other saws...

Thank You Sponsors!