iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need a little help with international truck. S 1700

Started by Banjo picker, August 06, 2020, 02:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

I haven't used the truck in a while.  Put 2 hot batteries on it, and she fired right up.  Only thing is it won't die when you turn the key off.  I have to put it in gear and hold the brake and choke it down....which probably is not good.  Where would be a good guess as to the problem?  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Patrick NC

Should be an electric actuator on the fuel pump that works when the key is turned on/off. Check that there is power to it. The solenoid may be stuck. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Banjo picker

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Banjo picker

Got it fixed.  The problem was my memory and a stuck cable.  Blue creeper on the cable....after I looked a little closer got it working.  It has a mechanical shutdown.  When I went out there and put the batteries on it, I was expecting a few hours at least to get it cranked.  I stood up in the cab where I could see the fan blades, and was just wanting it to turn over and not be stuck.  Touched the key and it cranked on first bump.   Then I thought I haven't checked the water or oil....then couldn't get it shut down....till I choked it down.  If the cab was in as good a shape as the engine, I would be set.  I am sure it has been at least 5 years maybe longer since it was cranked.  Tagged last in 2013.  Tim

Don P

BTDT, especially since the handle in the kboom is labelled Ether  :D

Banjo picker

The kill cable was hooked to a handle that was stamped throttle, I did try to pull it out but the cable in the middle was froze up until I blue creepered it.  The kill lever was on the backside of the injunction pump, and I didn't see it on first glance.  When I was looking for what Patrick NC told me I found it.Tim

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Banjo picker

Can't see the pad for lines and wiring connections.  I bet you can Id it from a picture.

Is that enough info.  Tim

Banjo picker

Supposed to be a 466.  It's a 6 cylinder with turbo.  Tim

hedgerow

Sure looks like the good old 466. They were a good motor until they put the electronic's on them in later years. 

Patrick NC

Glad you got it figured out. I wasn't even thinking about a manual kill cable. If love to have that old truck. Right now I have to haul all my logs on a trailer behind my pickup. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

mike_belben

Dt466C with 10mm bosch MW pump and rqv governor.  I know it very well.  

In cold weather, go to full throttle before cranking.  It engages an injection timing retard feature that works great.  Soon as it starts lift off.

First thing to do is replace that metal boost signal line with new barbs and rubber hose.  The metal one uses rubber grommets that by now are surely leaking boost out before it applies full force against the AFC diaphram.  Basically a boost leak there mechanically prevents the pump from giving the fuel your foot calls for.. truck becomes a dog.  

They can be pepped up very easily for free with hand tools if you want.

That engine [99% likely anyway] has 3/8 valve stems.  Never ever ever use valve guide seals.  Itll wreck the guides.  The 3/8 stem uses only an oil deflector shield because it is a low flow drizzle system, little plastic clip ontop the keeper.   Be sure of this next time u have the valvecover off.  Very expensive lesson for me.  And if it doesnt run real smooth pull the valvecover and do the valvelash sooner than later.. Night and day. Easy job.  If you dont keep up with lash, it can let an exhaust pushrod step out of the rocker. then youll crush it and wipe out a cylinder when the piston hits the stuck valve. This is any pushrod engine but low oil and loose lash does it pretty easily. 

Never lift a pushrod straight up until you feel the lifter drop.  Suction will pull them up out of the bore and theyll fall over sideway into the block galley.  Have no choice but pulling the head to get it. Btdt.

The bottom of that injection pump has an oval oilpan of sorts. The original is prone to crack.  If it does youll pour out every drop of oil without knowing.  Check it out with a handmirror some time. Luck of the draw there.
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

the motor is worth as much as the truck, theyre used in tractor puller classes and most of them have been exported to south america.  Agkits.com for engine parts.  Everything EXCEPT good headbolts is easy to find.  Mine makes quite a bit of power and lifts headbolts if im not nice to it.
Praise The Lord

Banjo picker

Thanks guys, especially Mike.  I will check it as you said.  Gona put this in my save list.  Tim

mike_belben

any time tim, that old truck will serve you well for as long as you can find the part.  Let me know when i can help.
Praise The Lord

farmfromkansas

I had a tractor with that engine.  Started easy in winter.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!