iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Medical Marijuana ??

Started by Magicman, October 24, 2020, 08:07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

I didn't know that about Portugal, that's interesting.
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

Ditto.  And im from a very portuguese town.  Will have to ask about that.

I never thought id see it this way, but banning things turns them into a business.  The lucrative nature makes them more profitable, luring in more vendors and more patrakers making them more popular and profitable.  A flip phone in prison is $800 bucks because you cant have a phone in prison.  If you could it'd be $100 or so.  The phone prohibition creates the phone smuggling business, and its mostly run by corrupt guards. Its enriching the bad guy off the family that is sending their incarcerated loved one the insane cash to buy the phone so they can talk to them.

Most people in prison are drug users so the greatest demand and source of problems is drugs.  Sadly heroin is rampant but needles are banned. Theyre homemade and confiscated all the time. So one guy in the joint that still has his binky [prison syringe] is getting his drugs by sharing his needle.  They all pass around HIV and hepC then get out and spread it to the local community.  So i hate to say this but yes, i am for giving them their free clean needles to keep the innocent teenage girl who gets sweet talked by the young thug druggie loser from catching all that and giving it to a baby.  We are handing out free masks all across the world today.  

Not trying to be political, i dont think it matters what team youre on, you are making the payment on a jail fulla aids.  The needles would be cheaper and save heartache.  The old 'but youre condoning it' argument doesnt hold water imo.  You cant stop teenagers from shackin up, a druggie from shootin up or a drunk from drinkin up.  Anyone thinking otherwise is just sheltered from reality id say.
Praise The Lord

Gary_C

Quote from: mike_belben on October 25, 2020, 10:15:55 AM

You cant stop teenagers from shackin up, a druggie from shootin up or a drunk from drinkin up.  Anyone thinking otherwise is just sheltered from reality id say.
Shootin up or drinkin up is the ultimate escape from reality and is done without regard for the consequences. Why should we sanction that type of behavior?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Jeff

Some of you will probably want to be judge and jury when I have the inclination to tell my story. Some of you know my story and personally know or witnessed what I'd been going through for a few years.

The legalization of cannibus in michigan has been a saving grace for me and my struggle with sleep paralysis.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gary_C

Jeff, I know some of your story and could not be happier to hear you have found some relief. 
Some of my family members recommended that I get some CBD oil for my wife's use to relieve some problems with Alzheimer's but all my research in what product to get and how to use it was completely lacking. I do have a granddaughter that lives in Colorado but for her to transport anything to MN would put her at risk so I had to abandon the idea. But again, the real barrier to any use was a lack of any usable information on product to use and dosage. My wife has never smoked and is already difficult to control so I had to abandon the idea.

I have always been in favor of medical use if there was appropriate dosing information available but not for recreational use to escape reality.  

sawguy21

My wife, may she rest in peace, tried cannabis oil to relieve the constant pain from cancer and spinal stenosis which gave her relief but she didn't like the side effects. It made her loopy.. She had been taking large doses of Oxcodin and Oxycontin that should have dropped a horse but they weren't enough.
Illicit drugs whether we like it or not won't go away and like liquor during prohibition have spawned a huge underground economy that has made a lot of people very wealthy. Regulation and licencing for personal use seems to be helping but is not a cure all, in BC government licenced stores are springing up but prices are apparently much higher. I won't touch them, I had a bad experience with pot (coupled with a bottle of saki) while in college, but don't judge those that choose to in moderate amounts. Just don't wave it in my face, I can't stand the smell..
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Southside

I think the underlying issue is that you have politicians making medical decisions.  We see how well that has worked out on the whole Covid thing.  If a physician believes it will benefit a patient then treat it the same as any other prescription.  My grandmother didn't have a card allowing her to keep "X" number of yeast cultures so she could get her insulin, she got it from a pharmacy in known quality and quantity. Everyone rags on big pharma - until they need a life saving drug.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

I agree gary, but there are people who have endured things that you or i would need an escape from too.  Its not my job to judge what they do to keep hangin on. I dont like it but im not in their shoes. Its a mess all around.
Praise The Lord

brianJ

We got a few people claiming it is good for nausea, and for pain, helpful for sleeping and for worry.     Swampdonkey seems best informed when he said, "most users believe it's a cure all even when they have no health issue to begin with."

This is probably true and the best variety is spelled P L A C E B O.    

Sedgehammer

Gov nor anyone else any right to tell what you should or can consume or inject in YOUR body. 

With that said, if you're using then there is or their should be no state help for you if you go broke and can't work. Monthly hair test. If it's tests positive, you don't get that months check. which should also be tied to work, even it's picking up trash. you'll put your 40 hours in or no check. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

Larry

Here in Arkansas its highly regulated.  The only place it can be obtained is at a dispensary with a medical card.  The only folks that could get into the business had really deep pockets for the state fees and they want a high ROI, so consequently the price is really high.

I'm not a user, but I hear some folks talking about the high cost.  They have trouble paying their bills and the "medicine" is a additional burden.

Seems to me its a scheme to transfer more money from the poor to the already rich.  I think some states, maybe Michigan, have made it legal to grow your own.  I could support that idea.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dave Shepard

In MA, you can grow six plants per person, up to 12 per household. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Iwawoodwork

Southside,  Politicians did not decide if Pot was legal here in Oregon the measure to legalize Pot was put on the ballot and voted on by the Oregon voters and they determined that it should be legal.  Don't know about  other states. I am not a user but feel it is no different than alcohol so am glad it is legalized with some controls and the state is now getting its tax share.   Now lets look at all of those who are in prison for having been arrested with small amounts of pot and if they were given long unreasonable sentences for possession need to be reviewed and maybe commuted.   Now a pusher/seller gets all that they were given in my opinion. 

Southside

I think most states it has been by ballot measure - but the politicians are setting up the methods of control / distribution / permitting, etc. all in the name of taxes - rather than having the medical professionals utilize it as a tool.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Iwawoodwork

I don't see pot as medical only, it is also recreational just as alcohol is so why not regulate just as alcohol has been.

Ianab

Quote from: Southside on October 25, 2020, 10:19:19 PM
I think most states it has been by ballot measure - but the politicians are setting up the methods of control / distribution / permitting, etc. all in the name of taxes - rather than having the medical professionals utilize it as a tool.  
Part of the problem with the medical research into pot is that if it's illegal it's difficult to for a University or drug company to actually research or do any large scale trials into it's effects / benefits / disadvantages. It's not going to be a cure-all for every malady. For example some studies indicate that it doesn't really relieve pain in patients, but it relaxes some so they can sleep better, even with a low background pain that was waking them up before. And Jeff can certainly confirm the longer term effects of poor sleep. It sounds like a minor inconvenience, but it can be totally debilitating after a while. So simply getting a good nights sleep can be a bigger benefit than being totally pain free, but a zombie.  
If pot is made legal, then a Dr can still suggest to a patient that they go down to the pharmacy or bottle store and buy a pack of jelly-babies, and take one before bed each night to see if it helps them sleep etc. Ideally he could prescribe a box of medical grade ones, but the research isn't really there on that yet. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

barbender

I used to smoke so much dope that when I quit stone cold, the bottom fell out of the local marijuana market. The local dealers called it "The Great Panic of '97"😂😂 I can't speak to medical use, mine was completely recreational and not in moderation in any way. I saw stories recently, one was where a policeman ended up in the ER thinking he was having a heart attack, after tons of tests they finally figured out he was just stoned out of his mind! It turns out that his daughter had made a pan of pot brownies, and forgot them on the counter😂 Now I was thinking to myself, how could you eat those and not realize something was amiss? When we made them the result was similar to alfalfa feed cubes with fudge frosting on them, well it turns out you're supposed to cook it down with butter or something and then add that to the brownie mix😂 So that's how that girl made them, and her poor dad ended up in the ER😂 I think he ended up ok, after they convinced him that he was only stoned😊 From my own experience, I think more fuss is made over marijuana than what it's worth. I don't really buy the "gateway" theory either, from what I've seen people that are going to get into destructive lifestyles manage to do it with whatever is at hand, be it booze, gambling, heroin or whatever else.
Too many irons in the fire

Walnut Beast

That was funny barbender 👍

Ianab

Quote from: barbender on October 26, 2020, 12:24:22 AMNow I was thinking to myself, how could you eat those and not realize something was amiss?

The effect is slower when it's eaten. So he might have scoffed 4 of them before the first one kicked in, then got the munchies and ate a couple more. :D

Apparently it's a common problem with edibles, people eat one and initially feel no effect, so have a couple more... Then they all catch up... 

If it's sold legally it can have a strength indication / recommended dose on the label, like booze does.  Most people know that you shouldn't drink 8% beers the same as you can drink 4% beer. Or if you do, that you will fall down. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Gary_C

Is that the voice of experience I am reading?   ???

;D

Logger RK

I know it came in handy when I was a Young Buck. I seen my Future Bride for the first time at The Pub. She was talking to a guy that was going to give Her a ride home. I knew he was a stoner. So I asked if he had one to go burn. He did,he was inhaling while I exhaled. He forgot about giving Her a ride & went home. But good thing I was there for Her.  And we're still together after 40 years this spring 

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Logger RK on October 26, 2020, 08:04:36 AM
I know it came in handy when I was a Young Buck. I seen my Future Bride for the first time at The Pub. She was talking to a guy that was going to give Her a ride home. I knew he was a stoner. So I asked if he had one to go burn. He did,he was inhaling while I exhaled. He forgot about giving Her a ride & went home. But good thing I was there for Her.  And we're still together after 40 years this spring
That's an awesome and I mean an awesome story! 
Necessity is the engine of drive

petefrom bearswamp

I have heard that it is a good substitute for oregano in spaghetti sauce
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

kantuckid

Quote from: Sedgehammer on October 26, 2020, 08:27:12 AM
Quote from: Logger RK on October 26, 2020, 08:04:36 AM
That's an awesome and I mean an awesome story!
Not to be a story topper, but I met my wife of nearly 50 years while sober, am I even more inspiring?  :D 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Raider Bill

I figure legalize it and take the criminal element out of the equation.

Let law enforcement go after the hard stuff and quit wasting money on weed enforcement. How many are locked up and life ruined for a sack of weed or a joint and at what cost to the taxpayers.

There are a lot of misconceptions about smoking or ingesting weed. Most are by people that have no idea what it does or doesn't do or have a closed mind.

I don't allow drinking or weed while you are at work. Do it after you clock out.
Other wise smoke them if you got em.

Remember, "a friend with weed is a friend indeed"
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!