iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Medical Marijuana ??

Started by Magicman, October 24, 2020, 08:07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samandothers

Well MM,
Not sure if you got an answer, seems like good input.  But alas the thread turned to food.

alan gage

No personal experience and I'm not a doctor so can only relate the experience of a friend who used to be a professional painter but fell from a ladder and really screwed up her back when she was about 55 (around 65 now), forcing her to retire early. She's still pretty active but it causes her a lot of pain and slows her down a lot.

She uses marijuana to control the pain and says it works wonders. I've often been around her before, during, and after she medicates and I've never been able to tell  from the way she acts. There is no medical marijuana here so she uses a variety of methods. She said the doctor would be more than willing to prescribe her opioids for the pain but she wants nothing to do with them. For her marijuana is effective and she considers it safer than the opioids. 

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

barbender

I would much rather see someone using marijuana than opiates.
Too many irons in the fire

Don P

Or alcohol. A drunk wants to drive, a stoner wants to go to the kitchen.

Magicman

Quote from: samandothers on October 26, 2020, 09:38:41 AMWell MM, Not sure if you got an answer, seems like good input. But alas the thread turned to food.
This topic will surely continue and more input added but yes Sam, I have gathered enough information to make a decision regarding my vote in November.  I will say that I have changed my mind from my original decision.  :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sedgehammer

Quote from: kantuckid on October 26, 2020, 09:17:21 AM
Quote from: Sedgehammer on October 26, 2020, 08:27:12 AM
Quote from: Logger RK on October 26, 2020, 08:04:36 AM
I know it came in handy when I was a Young Buck. I seen my Future Bride for the first time at The Pub. She was talking to a guy that was going to give Her a ride home. I knew he was a stoner. So I asked if he had one to go burn. He did,he was inhaling while I exhaled. He forgot about giving Her a ride & went home. But good thing I was there for Her.  And we're still together after 40 years this spring
That's an awesome and I mean an awesome story!
Not to be a story topper, but I met my wife of nearly 50 years while sober, am I even more inspiring?  :D
He might've been.....
Necessity is the engine of drive

Stephen1

Doesage and regulation. We are seeing it in Canada. Each package, either edibles or smokable will have a THC amount and or the CBD amount. We cn buy just CBD, some comes in a sauve to rub on sore joints, people love the pain relief, there is no mental stimulus. 
 Each package is taxed, the same as alchohol, and has  the tax seal on it. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Sedgehammer

Quote from: barbender on October 26, 2020, 01:53:20 PM
I would much rather see someone using marijuana than opiates.
Oh heavens yes. I have taken opiates for my back pain and while they never were habit forming for me, they do weird stuff to me. Can't sleep, at all. Makes me feel like I'm in a glass bottle. Hated it. don't take anymore. I wish 'weed' helped, it's not nearly so destructive.
Our concrete guy smokes it like a chimney in WI in January. Hardest working guy i know. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

Trackerbuddy

The comedian Ron White:
I went to the Dr and asked for a prescription for medical marijuana. I told him I'm depressed.  The Dr asked why I was depressed.  I told I was depressed because I was out of pot.

doc henderson

It will be great to see more research now that the stigma has diminished.  I would like to see if there are for sure pain relieving components that can be separated, and not impair a persons mind.  Those are the issues with opiates and alcohol as well.  The research can help bring to light any side effects ect.  Cyclic vomiting is a side effect.  some keep smoking it anyway then come to the er  twice a week for fluids and antiemetics.  some are so pro "weed" that if you mention it as a side effect the F words start flowing freely.  some recognize it is related, and want to stop but keep going back to it.  these are mostly young folks using it for "recreation".  for now you cannot be sure there is nothing added that could change you reaction, or be harmful.  I want to know more.  just like any medication, I hope I never need it.  full disclosure, I drink beer in the evening for recreation with friends.   smiley_beertoast
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

alan gage

Quote from: Don P on October 26, 2020, 06:13:33 PM
Or alcohol. A drunk wants to drive, a stoner wants to go to the kitchen.
We had a customer who, while at college a few years back, was kind of in charge of a big study about the effects of different drugs on a persons ability to drive a car. This was driven by marijuana being legalized in some parts of the country. Since it had always been illegal no one had really studied the effects on driving. Now the insurance companies want to know.

They had a very realistic simulator that was an actual car body with views from all windows(he said after a few minutes even he could forget it wasn't a real car). The driver's all drove the same course which involved city, highway and interstate. Not only were they watching for the obvious things like swerving or running into other cars but the driver's were also faced with things like a yellow light at an intersection with the decision to go through or stop.

He said almost everyone who was approaching the legal limit with alcohol became a little more careless, would often drive a little faster, weave more, and invariably hit the gas and ran the yellow light.

The people who were given pot tended to drive slower and more carefully. They stayed farther away from the center lane and they almost all stopped for the yellow light. He wasn't saying they were better drivers when stone, because they weren't, but they did sound like they were better than drunk drivers.

They tested lots of other prescription and illegal drugs too. He said Benedryl was one of the worst.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Raider Bill

Quote from: doc henderson on October 27, 2020, 08:44:39 AM
It will be great to see more research now that the stigma has diminished.  I would like to see if there are for sure pain relieving components that can be separated, and not impair a persons mind.  Those are the issues with opiates and alcohol as well.  The research can help bring to light any side effects ect.  Cyclic vomiting is a side effect.  some keep smoking it anyway then come to the er  twice a week for fluids and antiemetics.  some are so pro "weed" that if you mention it as a side effect the F words start flowing freely.  some recognize it is related, and want to stop but keep going back to it.  these are mostly young folks using it for "recreation".  for now you cannot be sure there is nothing added that could change you reaction, or be harmful.  I want to know more.  just like any medication, I hope I never need it.  full disclosure, I drink beer in the evening for recreation with friends.   smiley_beertoast
Doc, I know many many that smoke and nobody I have ever heard of vomited due to weed. Nobody. I suspect there was something else involved.

Full disclosure... I've smoked it pretty much everyday for over 30 years.
One of the first things I did when I left the Police Dept was fire up a blunt with old friends. I never smoked during my LEO career for obvious reasons. Nor did ever I arrest anyone for it unless there was more to the story.

Only side effect was munchies but you get over them as you age and build tolerance. Now we say munchies is for beginners.

I smoke to relax. I have never had any pain relief from smoking so I can't help with that but many friends do CBD oils and say that they work.

Edibles give you more of a body relaxing high than smoke. Smoke goes more for the head.

My GF is one that does not do weed well, but a couple bottles of wine and the side effects come out..

I drink beer, IPA actually. If it ever came down to a choice I'd pick weed. No side effects, no hang over, no stupid.

I built a business that has been going for 34 years, work 10-12 hour days, pay my bills and have fun.

I bet there are many here that smoke weed but for good reason they remain silent.

Me I don't care.

Smoke them if you got them I say!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

doc henderson

cyclic vomiting is not common but a known side effect.  glad you do not have it.  I grew up in the 60s and just say no, so I will prob. never use it, for sure until I no longer work in medicine.  still illegal here and I could loose my license and hospital privileges.  I have heard good things about CBD but will not recommend to anyone until proven.  when asked i will say it is worth a try for a cancer pt.  A friend now raises plants for CBD, after his dad used it for pain.  so he is a believer.  i have drank the scientist cool aid, so I will say it is ok if you want to try it, but will not say it works for sure, until studied.  I love the "never smoke weed with Willie again" song and video.  I am ok with others doing what they feel is best for them.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Raider Bill

Let me know when you retire, I'll stop by. :D :D :D

Have some IPA in ice. 8)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Tacotodd

When a newbie smokes pot, guys only want to do any and or all of these 3 things: eat, sleep or F word! As far as pain (as go me) it doesn't make it go away, I just don't care. I've vomited about 5 times from and I've been able to pinpoint why, and in me, it's not from the pot itself. It's from alcohol afterward mostly or other chemicals. You just have to remember that everyone reacts to different medication differently. And I've not had any in about 2 months. It does seem to help with my Chron's but it's not consistent ways, kind of like everything else that the gastrointerolagist has tried on me! And I almost died in 2004 from a bowel resection that I had so that I could still be here. Yes, that was medical related. 6" of large and 12" of small, but I don't suffer from the extreme bowel cramping that I had (I just seem to be attached to the toilet). My life is an open book, happily, a comic book. I learned a long time ago, if you can't make fun of yourself then you have NO right to make fun of anybody else. I make more fun of me than anybody else can (it takes their verbal ammunition completely away).
Trying harder everyday.

mike_belben

Close friend of mine had severe colitis, removal, bag all that..  It was a horrible horrible way to live.  Sorry you went thru that todd.  I will have some more thoughts on this later. 
Praise The Lord

Tacotodd

Mike, I got EXTREMELY lucky, the surgeon was able to pull it off without me having to have a bag BUT I do have about an 8" vertical scar from the incision he made along with the little holes on each side of it from the many staples that were holding the cut back together. I just now looked, the staple hole scars have finally gone away but the cut mark remains. I've just not been to worried to closely look at myself for a LONG time 8)
Trying harder everyday.

Thank You Sponsors!