iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New tier 4 diesels on woodmizers

Started by redneckman, December 28, 2020, 06:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redneckman

Hello everyone. I know what I'm getting ready to ask has probably already been discussed in depth. However, I haven't had much luck looking for it. I am wondering if any of you are running the new tier 4 Yanmar  on Woodmizer mills. If so, can you comment on your experience with it good and bad. I am thinking about buying one, and the new tier 4 concerns me. I have the tier 3 47 hp on my LT 50. I love it.  

terrifictimbersllc

Yes on my mill. No issues, 500 hr have only seen running regens so far. I like that it is clean and quiet. Didn't really have a choice.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

YellowHammer

I have a Tier 4 on my LT70.  I've had zero issues, and its pretty good on fuel.  Actually, in seems to burn about the same as my older LT40 diesel.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

redneckman

Quote from: YellowHammer on December 28, 2020, 09:08:40 PM
I have a Tier 4 on my LT70.  I've had zero issues, and its pretty good on fuel.  Actually, in seems to burn about the same as my older LT40 diesel.  
Yellowhammer, how do you like your LT 70? Everytime I mention upgrading to a LT 70, my local Woodmizer rep tries to talk me out of it. The last time we spoke about it, he said it was hard to learn. I doubt that.

Southside

I got the same feedback from another WM location when I was looking at mine.  Yes operating it is very different than any other portable WM mill, took me probably two weeks to get really comfortable with everything as many buttons perform multiple functions and the operator has a lot of options on what can be done, but once you get past that you will never want to go back to operating the traditional style or Accuset II for that matter.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

PA_Walnut

Tier4 here. Works great, mostly transparent.  You can hear it groaning a bit when doing a regen and a slight power loss, but nothing dramatic.

My Kubota tractor, whole other matter: PITA, insistent and persistent when wanting to regen, etc. I just park it, rev it up and walk away while it deals with the nonsense. Silly.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

farmfromkansas

How long have they been building the tier 4 diesels?  Know some of the older ag tractors had problems, but they may have gotten the bugs out by now.  Have a neighbor who bought a new AGCO tractor, had to overhaul the engine at very low hours, but that was a few years ago.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

KenMac

When y'all are talking about regen are you referring to the engine using the DPF fluid to clean the exhaust system, whatever the name is. I have a Perkins 67 hp diesel made in 2018 that doesn't require the DPF fluid. Just curious. At one time I was a certified diesel mechanic, but that was before all of this crap came about and then changed trades. HVACs have other issues all together.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

terrifictimbersllc

There's no DPF fluid. Regen is an operation where it heats the catalytic converter apparatus to 1300° or so Fahrenheit in response to detecting an increased soot load in that filter.A running regen is when it happens automatically while you are sawing.The stationary regen is when you have to send it into that mode and cannot use the machine otherwise until it is finished. I haven't seen a stationary regen yet in 550 hr
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bruno of NH

I wish Woodmizer would put on a Kubota liquid cooled gas as engine as a option.
30 horsepower. 
Looks like to me Kubota and Woodmizer had some falling out ?
I like my Kohler 38hp just wish it was liquid cooled. 
I think Kawasaki makes liquid cooled gas engines. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

pineywoods

Yes Bruno, kawasaki does make some nice small water cooled gas engines. I have a 25 hp kawasaki v twin water cooled on my wm Lt40, replaced an old briggs. I love it as long as I stay away from the corn juice.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

YellowHammer

Quote from: redneckman on January 01, 2021, 08:49:29 AM
Quote from: YellowHammer on December 28, 2020, 09:08:40 PM
Yellowhammer, how do you like your LT 70? Everytime I mention upgrading to a LT 70, my local Woodmizer rep tries to talk me out of it. The last time we spoke about it, he said it was hard to learn. I doubt that.
@redneckman
100% its the best control system I've used, with the engine driven LT70 is super fast and easy.  It doesn't take much time to  learn the system, it takes time to unlearn the old system.  I took to it pretty fast and love it.

Mine regens occasionally, its totally transparent to the operator except there is a little smell.

When I called my sales rep and told him I wanted to upgrade to the LT70, he said he was wondering why I hadn't called earlier.  
The 70 Super itself is a very fast mill, I did a video recently sawing poplar and, by myself, was on a 1,000 bdft per hour pace, which is pretty relaxed sawing for this mill.

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

boonesyard

This tier 4 yanmar regen is absolutely no issue. I also have to frequently start this engine when it's very cold and it has never failed. Good power plant
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

SawyerTed

@redneckman let me know if you decide to sell the LT 50.  I may be interested in it.  I'm not far from you. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

redneckman

Quote from: SawyerTed on January 01, 2021, 03:46:01 PM
@redneckman let me know if you decide to sell the LT 50.  I may be interested in it.  I'm not far from you.
I'll do it! My mill is a fine mill. Plus, it's a wide head. It has loads of power and saws great. I've been getting 6, 8, 10 BF jobs here lately. I would like to upgrade to a 70. At very least another LT 50 with the controls at the front. Thanks everyone for the input. It makes me feel better about the new engines.

Beavertooth

Redneck Man  if you ever were to you use the LT70 with the controls at the end of mill so you can saw with the mill coming towards you you will never again want to saw with the head going away from you. That is one of the greatest features of the LT70 is being able to saw with head comeing to you. You can see everything so much better and all the slabs and lumber goes off the other end of mill where some other poor unfortunate soul has to deal with it. :D :D :D  Seriously I would hate to have to go back to sawing any other way.  I bought an LT40HD in 2005 and my LT70 in 2007 and sold my LT40 in 2010.  Don't let anyone tell you that the LT40 Super or the LT50 is just as fast or as the 70.  The LT70 is a completely different machine .. 
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Southside

True that - and the Super 70 is all that and then some.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

redneckman

Well guys, Ive decided to pull the trigger again and ordered a new super 70. For you guys that run these, what blade width are you running? The Woodmizer guy said they would run up to a 1.75" blade. Personally, I really like the wide blades over the narrow ones. I run 1.5" blades on my LT 50..

For anyone interested, my mill will be going up for sale late Spring 2021. New mill will not be here until July. Today, it has 790 hours on it.

terrifictimbersllc

I run 1-1/2" 055 7 turbos from woodmizer.  195" , they have 223 teeth.  Cuts everything. That's what I recommend.   I got a free 1-1/2 045 7 turbo carbide blade and used it to cut about 3500 bf of cedar siding from cedar power poles.  In contrast, the 7 turbos dulled after about 300 bf.  I ordered 5 more of the carbides, haven't used them yet,  they're a specialty use thing because my customers have to agree to $80 blade charge if hit metal instead of $35 charge for the double hard blades.

I also bought some 1-1/2" 055 7/40 Kasco blades from Richard Cutting edge and a 4/40 wheel to resharpen them to after using them once. These as either 7/40 or 4/40 are great blades, but neither cut knotty spruce any better than turbo 7's above, which is what I was hoping they would.  

Southside

Been running 1.5" but have some 1.75" on the way to try out.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Bandmill Bandit

I'd like to see Woodmizer offer thr Stage 4, Tier 4 Volvo Penta engine as a power option. That engine the best Tier 4 engine available right now in my opinion. It is so clean and efficient it doesn't even need a regen system.

https://www.volvopenta.com/industrial/benefits/emission-technology/stage-iv/

I have run a couple of them in Volvo and JCB machines. They are impressive all around and economical.    
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

YellowHammer

I run .055 x 1.5 Turbos for everything.  Also, I can't tell a dimes worth of difference between the WM Double Hards or the WM Silvertips, which I guess are just single hards.  

Wait, there is a difference.  The Silvertips very rarely fatigue crack and they are $23 each instead of $42 each.  

The LT70 Super has engine driven hydraulics, and the speed of the hydraulics can be controlled, to a point.  If the engine is in idle, the hydros run at about the same speed as a Super.  However, if throttled up, the hydros run many times faster.  
YellowHammerisms:

KenMac

My Cook's AC36 has a 57 hp Perkins engine and I can find no mention of any "regen" in the manual and have not seen or noticed any difference in its' operation in 290 hours. I reserve the right to be wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but was mistaken.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

KenMac

Correction---67 hp Perkins. I feel better now that I broke the ice!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: YellowHammer on January 05, 2021, 10:45:41 PM
I run .055 x 1.5 Turbos for everything.  Also, I can't tell a dimes worth of difference between the WM Double Hards or the WM Silvertips, which I guess are just single hards.  

Wait, there is a difference.  The Silvertips very rarely fatigue crack and they are $23 each instead of $42 each.  

The LT70 Super has engine driven hydraulics, and the speed of the hydraulics can be controlled, to a point.  If the engine is in idle, the hydros run at about the same speed as a Super.  However, if throttled up, the hydros run many times faster.  
I get blades 60 at a time, 15% off with free shipping.  Those not familiar this is standard Woodmizer quantity pricing.
The Doublehard 195 055 1.5 blades come out to $30.68 each.
Silvertip and Kasco equivalents are about $27 each. 

Thank You Sponsors!