iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Were are the big shows?

Started by Nils Jonsson, February 17, 2021, 08:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nils Jonsson

I saw a post about the (our) Swedish forestry shows in [link to another forum removed by admin], and came to think of forestry fairs. I miss them by the way. Over here we used to have the largest forestry show on earth, Elmia Wood with over 50 000 visitors out in the south Swedish woods. Now, when the major exhibitors started their own fair and with Covid-19 screwing everything up, I donĀ“t even know if there will be another Elmia show.
Has anyone at this forum been to the Elmia Wood show in Sweden?
I have been to the Demo International in Canada once, but what other major shows are there in North America?

farmfromkansas

We have farm shows in Kansas, where equipment dealers bring a lot of equipment and show it off, for about 3 days.  Woodmizer has attended a few times demonstrating a really nice hydraulic mill, with a cottonwood log. Last year the local one was cancelled because of the covid, maybe when everybody gets vaccinated, they will have one this spring. Hoping the Johnson and Johnson vaccine is available, don't want to have to get 2 shots.  My daughter got the 2 shot, and said the 2nd one was rough.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

DeerMeadowFarm

I have dreamed of going to the Elmira show one day, but who knows now if that will ever happen?

We have the Northeastern Forest Products Equipment Expo in New England. It switches location each year from Essex Junction, VT. to Bangor, ME each year. It typically takes place in the spring, but VT was cancelled last year. Bangor has already pushed the show out to September this year. I assume that will take place if COVID is more under control. I have met several Forestry Forum members at these shows in the past.
https://northernlogger.com/loggers-expo-2-2/

There is also a cool show in Boonesville, NY; the NYS Woodsman's Field Days. It's scheduled for August 20-22 this year. Last year was cancelled. It's a show the whole family can enjoy:
https://woodsmensfielddays.com/ 

Old Greenhorn

Funny @Tam-i-am and I were just discussing this just this morning through PM's. I had plans on finally making a few of these last year and everything was canceled. This year, it becomes a business expense  ;D provided I can find enough craft show business to make some cash. My small local one (Catskill forest Festival) was just canceled this week. Fore me that leaves Booneville, but I don't know if I can find lodging and it is too far for a one day turn around (too big also). I may be able to bum a sleeping bag slot with a friend who goes up to buy some equipment each year. Tammy mentioned a big one in Ohio I am not familiar with. If Boonville doesn't happen I might make a weekend out of the Bangor event, it that one happens.
 I am also looking forward to making my first Log Rite open house if that comes off. Tammy says she is having a hard time trying to navigate the ever changing rules so she can pick a date, but I have no doubt we will know as soon as she does. Great folks and I haven't even met them yet, but I can see it in their products. :)
 I did not know about a show in Elmira. Could you tell us a bit more about that? Is there a web page?That also is a long drive for a one day for me. I did it once in an emergency, rather stay overnight next time. Used to pass through there on my way to the Fire Academy also but had business connections in Elmira that brought me there for a few years.
 Anyway, we used to have a 'show thread' here some years, this looks like a good start. Anybody else?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

moodnacreek

The northeastern loggers shows have really changed with the times. Springfield Mass. was the close one for me and they even did Syracuse, N.Y.  I started going in the 80's and it was half sawmill machinery then where now it has become a loggers show. There is no one to blame because the sawmills are just about a thing of the past.

Tam-i-am

@Old Greenhorn  Elmia is a huge show in Sweden.  Kevin dreams of going to this show.  This year it is June 2-5.

Paul Bunyan Show is in Cambridge, OH and is a super show.  https://www.ohioforest.org/page/PBSShowFacts

Northern Logger also has the the Loggers Plus Expo in Bloomsburg, PA.  Much smaller than the show that rotates between Essex Junction and Bangor.

Then there is Expo Richmond.

There are 2 smaller shows in State College, PA that are good.

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

moodnacreek

Quote from: Tam-i-am on February 17, 2021, 01:16:30 PM
@Old Greenhorn  Elmia is a huge show in Sweden.  Kevin dreams of going to this show.  This year it is June 2-5.

Paul Bunyan Show is in Cambridge, OH and is a super show.  https://www.ohioforest.org/page/PBSShowFacts

Northern Logger also has the the Loggers Plus Expo in Bloomsburg, PA.  Much smaller than the show that rotates between Essex Junction and Bangor.

Tam, I think the Bloomsburg show is in addition to the New England show.

Old Greenhorn

@Old Greenhorn  Elmia is a huge show in Sweden.  Kevin dreams of going to this show.  This year it is June 2-5.
OH, My bad. ;D :D
 I was thinking Elmira, NY and then spent 20 minutes searching for it online. I feel stupid now. ;D
 Well, lets just hope some of these come together this year.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

red

I thought the only show was held in Georgia ? 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: red on February 17, 2021, 07:52:19 PM
I thought the only show was held in Georgia ?
There's a show in Georgia? :D

WDH

I have been to the Elmia show in Sweden.  It was a very good experience. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

trapper

Quote from: Corley5 on February 17, 2021, 06:03:13 PM
The Great Lakes Timber Professionals Association, a non-profit organization representing Michigan and Wisconsin forest industry (gltpa.org)
Hope it dosent get canceled again.  Sure missed it last year. I would like it to get rotated every other year again Oshkosh is only 15 miles from me.  Like to see all the machines and some great buys also.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Nils Jonsson

Paul Bunyan Show is in Cambridge, OH and is a super show.  https://www.ohioforest.org/page/PBSShowFacts

Northern Logger also has the the Loggers Plus Expo in Bloomsburg, PA.  Much smaller than the show that rotates between Essex Junction and Bangor.

Just to be clear: I would love to welcome you all in my country but both Elmia Wood and the new show Swedish Forestry Expo that were planned for 2021 has been postponed to 2022. 

Old Greenhorn

Yes Nils, most, it not all of our shows were canceled last year here, and this year us still an open question. Probably they will spread the disappointment out and they will cancel (or postpone for another year) one by one again. 
 35 or so years ago I worked as an applications engineer doing shows for a company around the country and preparing for a show could take months, even years in some cases with bigger shows that were only bi-annual. There was a lot of expense and planning involved. SO I understand how the bigger shows have to think ahead and make the best choice. The international tool show in Chicago would draw over 100,000 people and some companies would spend over a million dollars building and running their booths for 6 days.
 The smaller shows can wait longer, expecially now that all the exhibitors know the deal and are also hoping for a good outcome to help their sales. It hurts everyone.

By the way, I figured out how I got confused yesterday with your show, which is called ELMIA, we have a small city in our State called ELMIRA and without enough coffee I had made the jump in my head.  :D (and across the pond) Good luck going forward. Maybe you can find one worth attending over here? But with flights and planning and costs and changing conditions and predictions it looks like this dry spell will continue for a while.

Nils Jonsson

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on February 18, 2021, 06:16:26 AMBy the way, I figured out how I got confused yesterday with your show, which is called ELMIA, we have a small city in our State called ELMIRA and without enough coffee I had made the jump in my head.   (and across the pond) Good luck going forward. Maybe you can find one worth attending over here? But with flights and planning and costs and changing conditions and predictions it looks like this dry spell will continue for a while.

Aah, that explains a lot ;D. I guess we all have to stay where we are for a while still. There is a large forestry show in Germany in July who haven't cancelled - yet. That one will be the closest for me this year :)

quilbilly

Out west there is a show in every state I think. Oregon Loggers Conference, Olympic Loggers Conference, forgot what California is called, and one in BC as well as the intermountain loggers conference. 

You're more likely to see the bigger machines out west and western Canada. 
a man is strongest on his knees

dgdrls

I really hope we can kick this damned Covid to curb this year
and I'd like to make Boonville and Paul Bunyan, 

D

Jeff

Tamiam told me today that Boonville has been cancelled. Tammy and I was hoping to make that now that she is retired. Maybe Paul Bunyan. Not heard on that.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Old Greenhorn

DANGIT!  DANGIT!!  DANGIT!! I was wrapping some of my plans around that show this year too, even had a bunk lined up.  This is bad news.

Skip

According to Wright Bros. (Husky dealer) Paul Bunyan is on. No official word from the powers that be. 

John Mc

Is there still a show that happens in Tupper Lake, NY anymore? We went to it once when we were camping in the Adirondaks. It was a smaller show, more of a "logger field days" type of thing, but still a lot of fun.

EDIT:  Found it. Tupper Lake NY Woodsmen's Days. It was supposed to be on July 10-11, but it's cancelled for 2021.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

OH logger

As of now the Bunyan is still on. There also a new show this year in Indiana put on by I think the Indiana lumbermens association.  It's in late august and on the outskirts of Indianapolis. I wonder if wood mizer will show up?  :D
john

Thank You Sponsors!