iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mulberry Mega Burl

Started by metalspinner, March 27, 2021, 05:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

This is my first post in many years and the first log i've picked up in just as many. 
This Mulberry tree has been growing across the street from the Junior High school. And I've been eyeballing it for 15 years! this week as we were passing by the school, a tree service had a saw in it and was about to drop it. So i made a quick u turn and introduced myself. 
Those guys couldn't have been happier that I would haul this thing away for them.

This is a 60" LogRite

And this is the top 8' of the log ready to go home. This top end doesn't have any burls on it. So it will become a bunch of crotchy slabs.

The butt end of the burl piece is 60" at its narrowest and the top of the burl piece is about 40".

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Hilltop366

Hi, it will be interesting to see whats in there.

mike_belben

Man.. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!  Id've thought that logs got a face only a mother nature could love!

;D
Praise The Lord

WDH

I am looking forward to this!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

GullyBog

Fantastic, awesome to see that tree being cut so low.  They really wanted you to get every bit of that burl.
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

metalspinner

Made it home with the burly bit.

Just for fun, let's all take a guess as to the weight of this thing. No cheating by using the log weight calculator! Besides, this species isn't listed anyway. I had to do some cross referencing and approximating to come up with an answer. I'll share my numbers after a fair number of guesses.

BTW, it's easier to get these things onto the trailer than off the trailer.

Old Greenhorn

I'll bite. Just a full bore SWAG here: 4,756 pounds
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Andries

WDH always exaggerates; 6,600 lbs.
(but he might know his way 'round the mulberry bush)
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

Lovely specimen!! I'd have to say 4000 lb for the burl piece. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

GullyBog

There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Hilltop366

SwampDonkey

I think some of you guys are measuring air. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Hilltop366

I have no idea so took a quick average in my head and added 1 (the price is right tactics ;D) I just tried it with a calculator and it looks like the real average should have been 5934.775, can I change my bid? :D

Old Greenhorn

I had second thoughts on my guess too, I should have gotten closer to 6,200#, but I will stick with my first guess. I will be interested to see how poor that was exactly.
 When is it time for the drumroll?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

aigheadish

Gotta love it when things come together and you get big nice pieces of free wood. I'm guessing they didn't realize that there may be thousands of dollars of burl in that chunk, if you find the right person... Well, maybe not thousands, I don't know what that stuff goes for anymore.

I try to get as much free wood as I can but I don't really have a good way to move it, which is a shame. I need to put a hitch on the wife's vehicle, then I could load stuff (theoretically) on a motorcycle trailer I have.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Magicman

Wife's age + our number of children X the years married = 4582
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

There is a 15 thousand dollar Yellow Birch burl up on the road from m129 to Kinross. We know, because @Burlkraft  and I stopped a few days after the tree was cut down and the land owner told us so after Steve offered him $500.  That was 2007. I see it's still laying out there by the driveway as of a month or so ago.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

metalspinner

I'll be the price has dropped!

metalspinner

So I've got this thing all buttered up with Anchorseal and sawing has been scheduled for a few weeks from now. 

I'm going to remeasure and run the numbers through the weight calculator. Get your weight guess on the record!

Lostinmn

As a bowl turner myself, nothing gets us as hot and bothered as big burls  :D :)

Clark

Do The Price is Right rules apply? Never mind, I'm still guessing 1 pound.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Thank You Sponsors!