The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Woodshed Build  (Read 670 times)

Offline everythingwood

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Woodshed Build
« on: March 28, 2021, 09:35:25 PM »
Well the sawyer just left and I can now officially begin my build  8)

I was on a mission cutting trees this winter and, although my cut sheet was full I just couldn't stop.  I ended up with one extra top plate, two extra posts, one extra anchor beam, and at five extra 5x7's which can be used for girts, joists, or principal rafters.  Here is the plan for each of four bents.  The interior is all ash... the posts supporting the lean to's will be be treated since they will be exposed to the weather.

Tomorrow I have to cover the lumber piles.  It's a one-man operation and my back ain't what it used to be so I plan on rigging up a gin pole on my tractor so I can back up to a pile then use a chain fall to lift a timber off onto my timber cart.  Then I will use a chain fall in the shop to lift the timber onto the saw horses for joinery.

Offline everythingwood

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Woodshed Build
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 08:10:49 PM »
So I got my crane erected today!  I believe its called a derrick crane in the US Army Rigging Manual that I downloaded.  I just finished attaching the boom when it started raining so I didn't get to actually lift any timbers but I have no doubt it will pluck those bad boys off the pile like they were popsicle sticks.  I was going to go with an A-frame type gin pole on the back of the tractor but she is not running to smooth and I was afraid it would tap-out when I needed it most so I found this.  I'll be able to pick up timbers, transfer them to my cart to roll them indoors, then set them back on a "finished" pile parallel to this one.

The manual had tables for spruce poles but I had cedar available so that's what I used.  As designed with spruce it should lift 2 tons... I'm just asking it to lift 600 lbs or so.

I still need to sharpen the slick, pick up a new handsaw and finish the beam drill but I should be doing joinery by the end of the week.

Offline TroyC

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 08:28:59 PM »
Maybe it will look like this in 100 years. :D

>

Seriously, nice looking shed design! Cool lifting pole also.

Offline everythingwood

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 09:32:09 PM »

Nice looking shed design!  Cool lifting pole also.
Thanks.  I hope it's still standing in 100 years.  My shed will have tractor parking in the center isle.

My wife was at work all day so she won't see that contraption until tomorrow.  I doubt her assessment will be so kind  :D :D :D.  It kind of looks like someone is putting up a circus tent.

But yeah, I had a few buddies help lift it up then texted pictures to a few guy friends and every one wanted to come see it in action.  I haven't cut a joint yet and I have at least ten guys including the sawyer, a couple folks at the day job, and my UPS driver who want to come for the barn raising.... must be a guy thing!  

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 07:03:58 AM »
Good luck!! It's fun to build!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline TroyC

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 08:12:38 AM »
Can't tell from the picture but my roof wraps all the way around the back so three sides are covered. The right side supports for the cover are scheduled to be replaced since they are mostly rotted off at ground level.

Nice looking pile of timbers! Keep us posted.

Offline Rango

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 09:01:43 AM »
So I got my crane erected today!  I believe its called a derrick crane in the US Army Rigging Manual that I downloaded.  I just finished attaching the boom when it started raining so I didn't get to actually lift any timbers but I have no doubt it will pluck those bad boys off the pile like they were popsicle sticks.  I was going to go with an A-frame type gin pole on the back of the tractor but she is not running to smooth and I was afraid it would tap-out when I needed it most so I found this.  I'll be able to pick up timbers, transfer them to my cart to roll them indoors, then set them back on a "finished" pile parallel to this one.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

The manual had tables for spruce poles but I had cedar available so that's what I used.  As designed with spruce it should lift 2 tons... I'm just asking it to lift 600 lbs or so.

I still need to sharpen the slick, pick up a new handsaw and finish the beam drill but I should be doing joinery by the end of the week.
@everythingwood,
That crane is awesome.  Can you share a link to the rigging manual you downloaded?  Not sure I could or would build it but I would really like to read how it's rigged.  How is it working out for you?

Offline everythingwood

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 09:38:25 AM »
The crane works great.  I picked up two timbers at once yesterday so that's probably 1200-1500 lbs and it didn't seem to strain anything.  I use the block & tackle for raising and lowering the boom and a chain hoist at the end of the boom to lift the timbers.  I was looking at the manual again and it looks like my mast should support 1.5 tons, not two.  Of course I don't stand under the boom or timbers when lifting.  

My brother welded up a pivot point which is just a piece of 8" diameter pipe with a hinge and a "spear" to insert into a drilled hole in the boom.  The old manual just shows a fork lashed to the boom.  I'll try the link thingy... if it doesn't work just google Army Rigging Manual FM 5-125 You can purchase the manual from several sources but a few links to the pdf as well.

US Army Rigging Manual  

What sent me down this rabbit hole, besides the desire to save my back, was a picture of one set up inside a small off-grid log cabin build.  The boom could reach over the wall to pick up logs them pivot around the whole structure to place them.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Woodshed Wnt to buy but have to build

Started by Logging logginglogging on Firewood and Wood Heating

26 Replies
Last post September 07, 2012, 11:00:19 AM
by Logging logginglogging
xx
Woodshed

Started by victorytea on Chainsaws

10 Replies
Last post March 09, 2005, 03:39:49 PM
by SwampDonkey