The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Woodchuck bait?  (Read 1847 times)

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Woodchuck bait?
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2021, 05:43:21 PM »
Years ago I threw groundhogs, coons, etc in the woods and they stayed there till they rotted or a dog, fox, coyote drug them off. Now I put them out in the open and the buzzards get there in a few hours and usually a few eagles show up and chase the buzzards off, fun to watch.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2021, 05:44:48 PM »
Yes, NY has stupid laws and some that make sense but everyone ignores them. It's illegal to shoot other people, buy sell and use street drugs, but hose laws don't seem to make much difference it still happens. I will figure out a way to make this work within the laws of common sense and basic thinking. They can go worry about the city morons that come up here and feed the bears on the back porch because they look cute.
 Yeah, I might need a bigger box, but we will see.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline cutterboy

• Senior Member x2
  • Sometimes trees fall where they want to.
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2021, 07:25:47 AM »
I found it was illegal to relocate animals off of your property in NY. 
Massachusetts too. It's really not a bad law but it is completely ignored. People in town trap woodchucks and rabbits and chipmunks and release them on my farm. They think the animals will be happy here and they are until they meet the old farmer with his .22 ;D

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2021, 08:51:18 AM »
The secret to live traps is setting up multiples.  Some early bird is always getting in the trap and preventing you from catching the late show critter youre after, when using a single trap. 
Proverbs 19:11

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2021, 08:02:28 AM »
Yeah, I'm gonna need a bigger trap.

Guess I should have fenced around it quicker.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2021, 10:25:59 AM »
Tom,

Help me understand this. Are you saying deer in New York are devious enough they come eat freshly planted fruit trees then dig holes around the base of the tree to throw suspicion off on their woodland neighbors? :D :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2021, 10:45:08 AM »
Well it might be one of those street savvy city deer that have moved here since COVID. I wouldn't put anything past them, but in this case I think I have created an attractive nuisance. ;D

Offline Kindlinmaker

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2021, 07:53:39 PM »
Old Greenhorn - You must have different wood chucks on that side of the river.  The chucks on this side are very considerate and don't require relocation.  They just seem to pack their little bags and move on when they encounter us and learn they are are unwanted guests........That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I am old enough to have lived around old farmers who grew up working teams.  What a hate they had for anything that dug a hole.  My dirt bike riding privileges on more than one farm were dependent on the absence of any chucks.  Shoot em, trap em, give the dogs a workout, run em down with a bike - whatever it took.  And in true depression era "waste nothing" ethic, more than one of the associated farm ladies would put them up in brine for 6 months or so and find a use for them.

I worked for one farmer who had 2 hooks mounted on every tractor which held a pitch fork.  He was as deadly as a harpoon fisherman on a bow pulpit with those forks.

Now, we also have a method for dealing with your new discovery of a possible deer problem.  Our car insurance premiums attest to our process but we never seem to win or get ahead on this battle.  Not a recommended solution.  For being such small deer, they sure sure can cause a bunch of damage.

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2021, 04:00:40 PM »
I am going to need a MUCH bigger trap. ;D

Offline JJ

• Gotta figure this out
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2021, 11:08:02 PM »
I think just attach a chain link gate, for trap door on end of your porch. 
Maybe chasing that racoon who had his fist full of hotdogs (the stolen bait)..

Offline Kindlinmaker

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2021, 01:22:16 AM »
Robo Chuck.  A much bigger trap is definitely in order......and a couple friends to help!

Or maybe just yield the new tree to the old boy and buy apples at the orchard down the road.

Offline KEC

• Share Post
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2021, 11:00:34 PM »
OGH, If it means anything, I did wildlife control for ~27 years. Here is my take on this: When you dig a hole in the earth, it gets the attention of many critters. Voles are very much atracted to where you plant a tree/shrub. Just because you got a photo of a coon doesn't necessarily mean he's your culprit, coon eat voles. I think I would tamp down the dirt and take a wait 'n see. You could end up trapping a bunch of animals that did no harm. If you do trap for coon or skunk, dry dog food is a good bait. Keep us posted. Oh, you can get voles with rat or mouse snap traps (with the wooden base plate) baited with peanut butter. Cover the trap with a cardboard box propped off the ground on one end ~1-2". Keeps birds from getting caught and voles like to go under things to stay out of sight of predators.

Offline KEC

• Share Post
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2021, 10:19:55 AM »
OGH, Also, What you can't see is if the voles have tunneled down under the tree; they love that recently disturbed soil because it is easy digging. The problem with that is that it will cause the tree roots to dry out, which is a major cause of death for newly transplanted trees. Voles, especially Pine Voles eat tree roots. There was a big thing about this in your area years ago. The commercial apple growers used pesticides to control Pine Voles and there were problems with predators eating the poisoned voles and getting secondary poisoning. Something good came out of it, they learned that by keeping the grass mowed short around the apple trees allowed hawks, owls, foxes, etc. to better see and catch the voles. In some cases, a large pine vole population, chewing away on the roots can knock an apple crop by 30%.  And all you wanted to do is plant 1 apple tree, right ? !

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
fish or cut bait

Started by woodmills1 on Sawmills and Milling

17 Replies
Last post January 26, 2018, 04:18:46 PM
by justallan1
xx
critter bait

Started by Engineer on General Board

22 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 10:09:33 PM
by Corley5