iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodchuck bait?

Started by Old Greenhorn, April 11, 2021, 08:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindlinmaker

Robo Chuck.  A much bigger trap is definitely in order......and a couple friends to help!

Or maybe just yield the new tree to the old boy and buy apples at the orchard down the road.
If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

KEC

OGH, If it means anything, I did wildlife control for ~27 years. Here is my take on this: When you dig a hole in the earth, it gets the attention of many critters. Voles are very much atracted to where you plant a tree/shrub. Just because you got a photo of a coon doesn't necessarily mean he's your culprit, coon eat voles. I think I would tamp down the dirt and take a wait 'n see. You could end up trapping a bunch of animals that did no harm. If you do trap for coon or skunk, dry dog food is a good bait. Keep us posted. Oh, you can get voles with rat or mouse snap traps (with the wooden base plate) baited with peanut butter. Cover the trap with a cardboard box propped off the ground on one end ~1-2". Keeps birds from getting caught and voles like to go under things to stay out of sight of predators.

KEC

OGH, Also, What you can't see is if the voles have tunneled down under the tree; they love that recently disturbed soil because it is easy digging. The problem with that is that it will cause the tree roots to dry out, which is a major cause of death for newly transplanted trees. Voles, especially Pine Voles eat tree roots. There was a big thing about this in your area years ago. The commercial apple growers used pesticides to control Pine Voles and there were problems with predators eating the poisoned voles and getting secondary poisoning. Something good came out of it, they learned that by keeping the grass mowed short around the apple trees allowed hawks, owls, foxes, etc. to better see and catch the voles. In some cases, a large pine vole population, chewing away on the roots can knock an apple crop by 30%.  And all you wanted to do is plant 1 apple tree, right ? !

Thank You Sponsors!