iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood Table Build

Started by PoginyHill, April 16, 2021, 07:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoginyHill

Time to begin building my firewood table. The intent is to keep everything off the ground (24-32" high) and establish lengths to cut. Table will be 16ft long with slots for a chainsaw for 16" pieces and 24" pieces. Off-bearing table will be an incline - take wood from there to the woodpile, splitter, trailer or whatever. I'll load small 16 footers by hand, larger ones with an excavator/thumb, log loader, or tractor grapple. Only a concept now, but plan to start cutting steel this weekend. Frame is 2x2 and 2x3 tube with 1/8" wall. table top will be a combination of 2x4 and 4x4 rough-sawn lumber (easily replaceable). Wheels on one end, hitch and jack on the other - clear in between so nothing to trip on.

Many of the details I'll improvise as I go along. Not every detail is planned for.

Side View:

End View:

Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

mike_belben

Hmm.  Im on the fence about this.  I guess id have to see the whole yard layout and what youre doing.  

Are the pieces going to drop to the ground or will you manually pry them out and carry to the splitter?  Are you cutting at the flat or the gutter line?  

Does the trailer go in the woods or does the wood come out and go to the trailer?

Nice sketchup.
Praise The Lord

PoginyHill

Cut on the upper flat portion - about 32" off the ground, then push cut pieces over the 2x2 piece of wood and onto the incline (I will probably lessen the angle a bit). Then pick up pieces from the incline manually. This will all be in my "yard". Plan is to take everything out of the woods in 16ft lengths with a (yet to be purchased) forwarding trailer. Would use the trailers loader to place pieces on the table.

Thanks for the questions and opinions - rather identify problems and ideas now than later.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

doc henderson

I made one that i stack flitches on, but have done big logs/trees made from timbers and conveyor rollers.  I can move it with forks to get at chunks that fall into the frame.

bucking up firewood in Firewood and Wood Heating (forestryforum.com)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

PoginyHill

Quote from: doc henderson on April 16, 2021, 08:13:41 AM
I made one that i stack flitches on, but have done big logs/trees made from timbers and conveyor rollers.  I can move it with forks to get at chunks that fall into the frame.

bucking up firewood in Firewood and Wood Heating (forestryforum.com)
Thanks for the share. Hourglass rolls would be sweet. For this build, I decided no moving parts, but portable (without putting forks on). If I decide to go bigger in the future, probably be a processor style unit. I don't have much in the way of large stuff. Nearly everything is under 16" diameter.

Crusarius

I was thinking something very similar to this except for all my slabwood. I was planning on making it out of wood. 

I doubt I will have time to do up a sketch but if I do I will post it.

mike_belben

If i may add a thought.. I hope you will consider making this so as to be expandable and easily integrated into your future builds so as not to just be a piece of parked once was iron that your next phase makes obsolete. 

I cant tell you HOW to do that but i know those are often my greatest frusterations.. When something i built "just for now" coulda been so much better if i just had one more lightbulb flick on and then i either have to cut a lot off, start over or go without.  

Maybe it is the manual cut table for now, but can become the log deck for later?  Maybe it houses the motor, tank, overhead tin roofing and light tower for the processor evolution?  Maybe the top flat eventually gets kicker fingers that toss each log down the ramp to the feeder trough thats on the driver side and maybe the passenger side ends up having legs and live deck chains?  

I dunno, thats your baby to create but i am always missing the mark on v1.0 and wishing i know what i was gonna run into later.  A lot of times v2.0 never happens but v1.xx leaves me sorry i overlooked expansion.  

The flip side is how much time can go by while i wrestle and waffle on it all.  Many sketches!  Keeps my mind out of the gutter atleast.
Praise The Lord

PoginyHill

As far a expandability or modification, I think the basic frame could rather easily be modified for additional things with some amount of cutting/welding. I'm guessing this'll be good for at least 3+ years, maybe the rest of my mortal life - who knows. Rather inexpensive and (hopefully) a quick build, so not a huge investment if the future brings unexpected things.

mike_belben

I hear ya.. I remind myself all the time its all just junk who cares. 

OTOH. metal is precious in the south and im running through my "lifetime" supply at an alarming rate!  The thought of buying it is cringy. 
Praise The Lord

barbender

I bought a hay wagon running gear and put a deck on it mostly for this purpose, I put a couple of skids on it and used it for bucking firewood and feeding the splitter. It worked decent, we split a lot if wood like that last summer. Now that I've moved on to a processor, I still have a wagon that makes a great work table among all of the other things one might use one for. I'd think about going that route.
Too many irons in the fire

doc henderson

since you are looking at a forwarding trailer, and after reading these threads, maybe a como trailer and bucking station.  or something on the side that allows the log to be cut in 16 inch section all at once, or roller/conveyors that move the log back and cut it, like a processor.  as we get older, we hate to bend and lift more than is needed.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Andries

Our firewood table is a shameless copy of ideas and photos posted by @mike_belben  Thanks Mike!

We had decided to use IBC totes for firewood. We only need five cords per year to heat my woodworking shop and to process mill slabs and the firewood-size branches from our tree service cleanups. Also, the aim was to try for the OHIO slogan. (Only Handle It Once)  :D

Parts used are some cut up scaffolding and a 9 footer conveyor plus a few hours of fun with a welder and a cutting wheel.

The conveyer was braced onto the side.

This is the setup with Stihl 038 attached. An upright attaches a bungy cord to the saw handle, and balances the saw bar about 12 inches above the table.

A sched 5 bolt was welded to the table, a stopper nut, two washers and a nut with hole for the clevis pin. It holds the three foot bar pretty well. Easy on/off for oil & fuel re-fills.

It can easily be moved around with the loader - two 'C' channels were welded on two foot centers for the loader forks.

So there it is in use.

The Gehl loader is rated for more than 1000 lbs, and three tightly stacked totes make up a full cord of firewood. The time and effort savings are huge. It almost feels like we're cheating 'cause its so easy now. (almost) 

Six totes per load in the chipper truck box and the only handling is to get a tight stack in the totes after they fall off the firewoodtable. It was worth the trouble to build - we're happy.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Walnut Beast

Nice job 👍. Looks like a really handy little loader

mike_belben

Nice work andries.  Staying upright sure does help the spine!
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

Logrite built a table. Had a super split built right into the table.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cutterboy

Andries, great job. Mike, great idea. Forestry Forum, great place for sharing.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

GRANITEstateMP

Andries,

I never called a piece of machinery "cute", BUT, that loader is cute! AND, it lifts a loaded tote, so it's rugged too. Nice clean operation you got
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Andries

I just got home after topping up her fuel and put 'Gail' away for the night. 
Yeah, maybe you're right. 

Cute, but in the way a bulldog puppy might be cute. 😆
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Walnut Beast

The ease of getting on and off and visibility is incredible 

jmur1

Working smarter and harder!  Nice setup.  Keep the wheels turning...
Easy does it

PoginyHill

I appreciate the input from you folks. For now I plan to stick with my original plan. I think the basic frame could be modified for a different use in the future with a little cutting (Might force me to buy a plasma cutter ;D). Finished the two main frame beams, then ran out of MIG gas. Will pick away as free time allows. Trailer axle is taking a little more time to ship than planned.

mike_belben

holy new metal batman.  i cant even remember what thats like!
Praise The Lord

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

711ac

711ac

Not nearly the same, but my "table" to keep the saw out of the dirt, stand upright and have the rounds at waist height to carry to the splitter. I'm only cutting my own firewood. 

PoginyHill

@711ac I think I saw some of your pics when I was researching ideas for mine. Same here - only 10-15 cords/year for myself. If the price ever gets a bit higher, maybe sell some - but now (at least in my area), $200/cord doesn't provide much incentive. The only real difference between yours and the one I'm building is portability (and maybe capacity for 16ft lengths - not sure of your length). Would like to easily move mine around the yard without relying on forks.
PS I grew up around your area in Maine - Gray to be exact.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Crusarius

got bad news for ya. One of your frame pieces is upside down :)

Looks nice. love fresh steel

PoginyHill

Quote from: Crusarius on April 19, 2021, 12:28:39 PM
got bad news for ya. One of your frame pieces is upside down :)

Looks nice. love fresh steel
Let's hope nobody notices when it's all together.

PoginyHill

Basic frame is done. With 4" worth of wood on top it'll be about 32" off the ground for the cutting table. The off-bearing table about 26". Wife OK'd that height last night. Need to attach the wheels on the back and the feet and trailer tongue on the front.

SpaceBus

Quote from: 711ac on April 19, 2021, 09:02:48 AM
Not nearly the same, but my "table" to keep the saw out of the dirt, stand upright and have the rounds at waist height to carry to the splitter. I'm only cutting my own firewood.

Do you burn green wood in an OWB? 10-15 cords a year is wild! I have two stoves in my house and only use 3 cord per year, no back up heat either. 
Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

PoginyHill

My wood is not green, but not fully seasoned either - maybe 20-30% moisture content. Every year I'm getting a little further ahead. Next winter should be fully seasoned. I can't answer to why 10-15 cords. That's not unreasonable from my experience and that I know of from others. I burned 8 cords when I had an indoor wood boiler. But now my oil backup never runs and I heat my garage often. Cold climate and on a hill - completely unprotected from the wind and a 100+ year old house would be factors. You must benefit from the warm on-shore breeze from the Gulf of Maine  :)

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

SpaceBus

Quote from: PoginyHill on April 29, 2021, 08:53:41 AM
My wood is not green, but not fully seasoned either - maybe 20-30% moisture content. Every year I'm getting a little further ahead. Next winter should be fully seasoned. I can't answer to why 10-15 cords. That's not unreasonable from my experience and that I know of from others. I burned 8 cords when I had an indoor wood boiler. But now my oil backup never runs and I heat my garage often. Cold climate and on a hill - completely unprotected from the wind and a 100+ year old house would be factors. You must benefit from the warm on-shore breeze from the Gulf of Maine  :)
Ha, I wish it were a warm breeze! Our house is also on a hill, but south facing and super insulated. Lack of insulation and heating a garage will definitely increase consumption, so I could see 10-15 cords. Especially if you are burning in a conventional OWB without storage. I burn in a wood cookstove pretty much every day till June and we have a freestanding stove as well. The cookstove is allegedly 75% efficient, but the freestanding stove, which does the real heating work, is EPA certified at 83%. There are at least two gasification OWB that have 75%+ efficiency, the Heatmaster G series and the Polar G4. Both are closer to 80% efficient  and eligible for the new tax credit. 

I like your wood processing setup, at some point I'd like to do something similar. While I don't burn as much as you, I do like to avoid bending over and keeping my bar away from the dirt. 
Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

711ac

Quote from: SpaceBus on April 29, 2021, 08:08:23 AM
Quote from: 711ac on April 19, 2021, 09:02:48 AM

Do you burn green wood in an OWB? 10-15 cords a year is wild! I have two stoves in my house and only use 3 cord per year, no back up heat either.
Edit; responding to space bus.
No only about about 6, normally less and dry. I have an indoor gasser that's mostly to heat the shop's slab but does heat the house. I have about 14 racks that hold about 90c/f each and my wood goes directly off the splitter to the rack and gets top covered with rubber roofing. I'll burn it at 1 year minimum but in the single row rack, split and covered it's good, at least for my boiler. Super dry wood actually causes problems for me.

SpaceBus

Quote from: 711ac on April 29, 2021, 04:37:55 PM

Edit; responding to space bus.
No only about about 6, normally less and dry. I have an indoor gasser that's mostly to heat the shop's slab but does heat the house. I have about 14 racks that hold about 90c/f each and my wood goes directly off the splitter to the rack and gets top covered with rubber roofing. I'll burn it at 1 year minimum but in the single row rack, split and covered it's good, at least for my boiler. Super dry wood actually causes problems for me.
That's pretty good for heating a shop and the house! Do you have storage for your boiler? I dream about building a shop and heating it, and my house, with an indoor gasser with storage. 

Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

711ac

No storage, but on my list. We have what's come to be called a "barndominium". Just enough house on the end of the generous shop. I really don't want to give up the floor space in either the shop or house. In my view if I add storage, it'll be meaningful (1000 gallon) and that will take another fairly big tank for expansion adding up to a good bit of floor space even if I put the 1000g tank in a vertical position. Then there's the price of used LP tanks, it wasn't too long ago that we'd pick them up easily and make smokers out of them 😆 not anymore! 

SpaceBus

Quote from: 711ac on April 30, 2021, 04:13:32 PM
No storage, but on my list. We have what's come to be called a "barndominium". Just enough house on the end of the generous shop. I really don't want to give up the floor space in either the shop or house. In my view if I add storage, it'll be meaningful (1000 gallon) and that will take another fairly big tank for expansion adding up to a good bit of floor space even if I put the 1000g tank in a vertical position. Then there's the price of used LP tanks, it wasn't too long ago that we'd pick them up easily and make smokers out of them 😆 not anymore!
Have you ever heard of American Solartechnic? It's a Mainer company that offers products for solar and wood hydronic heating. The company offers a pretty interesting solution to thermal storage. 

American Solartechnics, LLC. - Heat Bank Storage Tanks

Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

PoginyHill

Metal frame is done. Attached axle and made the tongue. Copied commercial wood splitter designs and made the tongue removable to avoid the trip hazard when in use. Tongue has 2" receiver to mount either a ball hitch or Ag hitch. Next is paint. Then apply wood to the top.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Walnut Beast

You might have copied it but you probably saved a substantial amount of money. Good job 👍

Tacotodd

@711ac barndominion , that's hilarious. I'm gonna use THAT term for some of my friends places.
Trying harder everyday.

711ac

Quote from: SpaceBus on April 30, 2021, 05:47:33 PM
Quote from: 711ac on April 30, 2021, 04:13:32 PM
Have you ever heard of American Solartechnic? It's a Mainer company that offers products for solar and wood hydronic heating. The company offers a pretty interesting solution to thermal storage.

American Solartechnics, LLC. - Heat Bank Storage Tanks
I listen to Tom every Saturday on the radio 👍but I want pressurized storage. 

PoginyHill

Frame is painted. Began applying wood to the top. The end is near. Excited to cut my first cord on it.

mike_belben

Fine craftsmanship.  Im eager to see what you make of it. 
Praise The Lord

cutterboy

Looking good. Nice location you have up there. Pretty view with lots of trees.

doc henderson

time to get a few scratches in the paint soon.  nice. ;)

jmur1

I like it.  Nice Solid build.  How do you like the Kubota loader?  Ive got an old JD 1030 and its about to get the boot.  Ive being looking at the different Kubotas.  Keep us posted to how the table works out.

jmur1
Easy does it

PoginyHill

Quote from: jmur1 on May 31, 2021, 11:22:59 AM
I like it.  Nice Solid build.  How do you like the Kubota loader?  Ive got an old JD 1030 and its about to get the boot.  Ive being looking at the different Kubotas.  Keep us posted to how the table works out.

jmur1
The loader works fine. My only complaint with the M7060 is hydraulic flow. I have the 8 speed, which comes with a lower hydraulic flow rate. The 12 speed version has higher gpm (can't recall the exact numbers, but easily obtained online). The loader can be slow at times. I've used a neighbor's New Holland. Generally I don't like the tractor, but the hydraulics are better than mine. The loader itself if rugged enough and mounts/dismounts easily.
Firewood table is done. Not used it yet, but should see a scratch or two before the week is out.

PoginyHill

Last step was 5/4" PT boards for the off-bearing table and 2X4s for the cutting table. All mating surfaces and end-grain got a heavy dose of used motor oil. First stem is an ugly "pasture spruce". Table is designed for 16" and 24" cuts. Wasn't able to cut anything yet with family visiting over the holiday weekend. Should see some action this week.

PoginyHill

Quote from: cutterboy on May 30, 2021, 02:11:43 PM
Looking good. Nice location you have up there. Pretty view with lots of trees.
Thanks, and yes, very lucky to have stumbled upon this drug house being sold by the Federal Marshall 25yrs ago. It's been a non-stop, but fun project ever since.

doc henderson

well with family visiting, you would of had some helpers.   :)  are the top boards considered sacrificial?  will have to replace occasionally in your plan?  may depend on who is running the saw.

PoginyHill

Quote from: doc henderson on June 01, 2021, 10:55:03 AMare the top boards considered sacrificial?  will have to replace occasionally in you plan?  may depend on who is running the saw.
Yes. Top two layers of 2X4's are fastened with common deck screws. I will cut the top 2X4 to match the firewood length as needed. I hope I'd need to work hard to hit any metal with the saw, but ya never know....

doc henderson

with it setting by your wood pile, will the splitter have a spot there also?  I see a red chunk of iron in the back ground, but does not look like a splitter.

PoginyHill

Loader/trailer on one side and splitter/firewood pile on the other side. Haven't put all the pieces together, but will get a pic or two when I do. The red thing is my Wallenstein tractor winch.

PoginyHill

Maiden voyage of the firewood table and new-to-me All-Wood splitter. Did about 1.5 cords with the wife. Hot day. Us northerners don't do well with the 80's. Overall worked well. Biggest complaint is the splitter. For a 24" stroke, opening was exactly 24". No room for variation in the 24" pieces I cut. So I cut back the wedge point to give about 3/4" extra room. Much better, but still a PITA on those occasional 25" pieces. May cut back the wedge point some more or cut off the 6 tangs on the push plate and weld a bunch of small beads - a little less standout distance from the plate.

mike_belben

Boy thats a tidy jobsite.  Looks great. 

I hope youre chaining all that beautiful iron up with a camera on it at night. 
Praise The Lord

PoginyHill

Thanks, Mike. Although wife still warns me "don't make our yard look like a junk yard!" Thankfully, theft is not much of a problem in our area. At least big stuff. Still have drug-induced break-ins, occasional bank or convenience store stick-up, and theft of hand-tools.

mike_belben

I broke mine in early.  Our maternity pictures were literally in a junk yard.  Came out really good too actually. Her idea. 
Praise The Lord

PoginyHill

Have processed another 3-4 cords with this set-up. Working well - no complaints. Much easier to stay ahead of the Mrs. than it was cutting off a pile or off the ground. Much easier on the back too. Nothing touches the ground now. This pic was Saturday before our first significant snow storm. Neg 2F on the thermometer this morning and about 6" of snow.

mike_belben

Looks great.  Time for a barn build!
Praise The Lord

stavebuyer

Eliminating the bending over is big deal. From ground to splitter height is a killer even if the splitter has a log loader. Bending over to cut and roll blocks is much harder on you than carrying or turning. Nice job.

For those(like me) who don't have your fabrication skills Wolfe Ridge offers an interesting cutting table.

mike_belben

Quote from: stavebuyer on December 22, 2021, 06:43:07 AM
Eliminating the bending over is big deal. 
Thats my lifes goal, metaphorically speaking.  ;D
Praise The Lord

sublime68charger

very nice build on that!  looks like it works very well!

PoginyHill

After 20+ cords of wood, I'm very happy with the table. Only modification so far is to mark cutting sizes with paint, instead of relying on the every-widening notches. Orange marks are for 24" pieces and yellow for 16" pieces. My splitter doesn't have much allowance for any oversized 24" pieces. In fact, I had to cut the splitting wedge back about 1" to give some allowance, so cutting accurately and square across the table is a must. The paint marks help with that.

I marked the orange (24") and yellow (16") in three spots: on the end where I stand to cut, in the middle on the far side of the cutting table (the wooden rail), and the far, far side where the cut pieces are pushed off (black metal bumper). I use these marks to align the chainsaw bar (similar to open sights on a gun) to help cut square. Otherwise the pieces on the far side can be off-length.

PoginyHill

Since I recorded how this is used, thought I'd share it here. Plus, I didn't want @YellowHammer to think he was the only one that can successfully work with his wife.

(5) Firewood Processing. Two cords, Two people, Three hours. - YouTube

barbender

That's a great looking operation, but I would say the same thing to you that I keep telling myself- it's laid out so it requires too much walking. Maybe your wife wants to get extra steps in, but I know around my sawmill I have to improve the layout because I have to walk and carry stuff too far. It was something that I didn't used to be too concerned with, but I've had an issue with one of my knees for the last 6 months. It only has so many steps in it each day, and I can use them all up before I have gotten much done. Kinda like saving your bullets😊 I keep watching Yellowhammer's sawing videos and getting ideas on how to change things to, "save steps".

cutterboy

Nice setup. I love that firewood table. You have a very helpful and understanding wife. You're lucky! Also your dog knows his  way around the work area, seems to know how to stay out of the way.

PoginyHill

Good dog. Good wife. Can a man ask for anything else?

barbender

Nope, at least you probably shouldn't if you have those two going for you😊

barbender

I also suffer from fits of jealousy over that Metavic loader/trailer combo, it is sweet!

Thank You Sponsors!