iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What Should We Do With This Slab?

Started by logriteofficial, April 23, 2021, 08:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logriteofficial

Friday fun at the mill!

Kevin used the SlabMizer to create this white oak slab that we think looks like a mustache.  :D :D :D
Help us figure out what we should turn this slab into... as it is a little bit too heavy for Kevin to use as facial hair.

Originators of aluminum handled logging and woodworking tools - Home - Logrite.com - LogRite Tools LLC
Get Stuff Moving! - Home - Bluecreeper.com - Blue Creeper
We've got legs for your wood! - Home - Rite

Downstream

When I was doing live edge furniture these kinds of slabs always made my mind go crazy.
Here are a couple of quick thoughts.
1. If you had 2 younger kids make a double desk/craft table.  Mount entire slab to legs or wall and each kid gets one of the curved areas for their work space.
2.  display table for craft store/booth
3. cut in half and make matching firepit benches for opposite sides of the pit.  I would do this with curved logs and had good luck selling to customers.
4. bar top

This should get the game started.  Lets hear from this creative group.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Southside

I would suggest that you sell it to member @UncleMoustache  

Happy to take a bottle of Blue Creeper in lieu of my commission.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

metalspinner

I would think a barber shop would be interested as an indoor piece of wall art. 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

21incher

Build a giant bird that hangs from the ceiling of your store. A new Logrite mascot from prehistoric times. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Don P

It looks like it would make a good courting chair (bench) with room for a chaperone.
Or flip it over and use it for the back of a pew style bench.

tule peak timber

As I mentioned earlier today, invert and use for a headboard. Use the scraps from the log to build twin bedside tables. Each should have a single drawer and a shelf underneath and if done correctly, flow the grain of the headboard into the top of each table. To the right customer, that would bring a lot of $. WOC 
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

UncleMoustache

Quote from: Southside on April 23, 2021, 09:50:33 AM
I would suggest that you sell it to member @UncleMoustache  

Happy to take a bottle of Blue Creeper in lieu of my commission.  :D
That's awesome!  I would definitely buy that.  You anywhere near St. Louis?

Josh
-Echo CS-670, CS-620, CS-370, CS-355T, CSS-266
-Stihl MS661, MS200T
-Dolmar 550
-SuperSplit
-Woodmizer LT15 Wide

logriteofficial

:D :D :D Oh man, what a perfect fit that would be! Logrite is in Connecticut so unfortunately we are a little bit far from you.
Originators of aluminum handled logging and woodworking tools - Home - Logrite.com - LogRite Tools LLC
Get Stuff Moving! - Home - Bluecreeper.com - Blue Creeper
We've got legs for your wood! - Home - Rite

low_48

kantuckid

Quote from: tule peak timber on April 23, 2021, 07:52:50 PM
As I mentioned earlier today, invert and use for a headboard. Use the scraps from the log to build twin bedside tables. Each should have a single drawer and a shelf underneath and if done correctly, flow the grain of the headboard into the top of each table. To the right customer, that would bring a lot of $. WOC
I shared in your idea before I read your comment. I was thinking it could be used whole or bandsawed narrower but following the natural curve depending on the design choice. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Brad_bb

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!