iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Replacement motor for LT40

Started by randy r, April 26, 2021, 07:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy r

Replacement motor for up/down motor on LT 40. Where can I find a replacement motor besides WM?  Surely there's a cheaper price somewhere. 

Magicman

I am of no help with aftermarket because I bought mine from Wood-Mizer.  I have never found their parts prices to be above aftermarket and theirs are always an exact fit.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John S

I second what MM says,  Why take a chance when WM has what you need?
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Southside

I bought some NAPA belts for ONE of my mills one time - KNEW I was saving some $$, being smarter than the man and all.   

Yea - did that ONE time.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

sawguy21

Buy once cry once. I don't buy aftermarket unless the OEM is priced way out of line or is too hard to source. Worked as a mechanic, learned that lesson early.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

pineywoods

Why do you need a replacement? those motors do break, but it's usually just brushes. Easy repair. The only other failure I have seen is the permanent field magnets come lose from the case. JB weld them back in place. If you aren't comfortable doing a repair, take the broken motor to your local starter/generator shop. Very seldom can you beat wood mizers prices on comparable items. AND they are always there when you need them.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Mountain_d

I replaced this same motor last year. Magnet let go on one side. I thought of trying to repair it but went ahead a got a new one from WM. I thought the price was reasonable and here in 2 days. I may repair the old one for a spare. How do you hold the magnet in place as the JB weld sets?  I tried and noticed a very strong force from the other magnet trying to get it into position. 
Mountain 
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

terrifictimbersllc

I would agree about not trying to find an electric updown motor elsewhere for a WM sawmill.  There's a lot of detail in getting the exact motor rated the same with the same mounts etc, unless you can compare yours side by side with a replacement you will probably end up regretting that path. 

Whereas if WM sends you a motor for your mill and it doesnt fit, or work right, they'll make good on it with no extra out of pocket cost to you.  

Put your energy into something else that pays off. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

curved-wood

I go in the same way as MagicMan. I think most of the original parts directly  from Woodmizer is not over price. Beside I just dont have time to fit the ''almost'' equal stuff...it's time to saw...the market is hot  :)

slider

I cant agree more with what has been posted. wm is close on the price on most replacement parts . I am as frugal as you but i have learned over the years .
al glenn

Chuck White

Quote from: Mountain_d on April 26, 2021, 12:17:13 PM
I replaced this same motor last year. Magnet let go on one side. I thought of trying to repair it but went ahead a got a new one from WM. I thought the price was reasonable and here in 2 days. I may repair the old one for a spare. How do you hold the magnet in place as the JB weld sets?  I tried and noticed a very strong force from the other magnet trying to get it into position.
Mountain
Above all else, whatever you do, DON'T get one or both of the magnets turned around!   ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LeeB

Are you sure the motor is toast? Check the terminal posts are not loose. Be sure not to let the posts turn when you tighten the jam nut.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

slider

you are so right i have done this several times
al glenn

Thank You Sponsors!