iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shameless copy of another member's work

Started by WV Sawmiller, April 29, 2021, 05:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebraska

@Old Greenhorn  I just took the taper and some of the rotten sapwood off of the bottom so it would sit level,  the back side is the same way. Then squared a cant out of the center. I trimmed the dividers  with a fairly  sharp chainsaw. I used Elmer's Gorilla glue look alike (because  that's what the little hardware store in town has)
and six inch coated rss screws. I will add holes in the bottom to place stoppers in so I can drain it.  Debating about finishing  the inside with a paraffin  or bees wax mixture or just leave it to breath. In a month or so I will soak the outside with Viking paint.

WV Sawmiller

Nebraska,

Looks good and I really like the top. I also wondered if the divider was still permanently connected to the bed as it is awful square and looks like it was added back afterwards.

When I cut the centers out of mine with the mill I'd get short 1" boards. Not worth it on a 1' planter with a 6" opening so I just cut all that with a chainsaw. When using the mill on the last cut I'd leave the blade spinning and raise slowly to help even out the cut at that end up all still had a little slope to them.

Tom,

I did not install drain holes. The sides generally were not water tight and would allow for some drainage although when wet I understand they will swell and close that gap. The soft wood is pretty porous and is going to wick away a good bit of any standing water. If that is not enough the owner will have to drill a few more holes in the bottom as needed. 

I guess we could seal around the seams and sell them as pet water troughs for people with more money than sense. I'm thinking high end horse owners or an old hippy chick customer of mine with a pet miniature donkey, sheep, pot-bellied pigs, assorted fowl, etc. She is living with a redneck boyfriend with Plott hounds and Pit bulls and a large gun collection. It is very rewarding to see the hippies and the rednecks finally getting together. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!