iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is driving sawmill purchase demand

Started by Kindlinmaker, May 02, 2021, 12:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

I just ordered a new mill last Monday, but it's to replace a Peterson WPF I just sold. That was a great mill, but since I no longer saw for hire, coupled with the fact that my biggest trees are 32" or less, I no longer needed such a large cut capability. I sold that and ordered a 30" cut band mill. Having had a mill since 2004, I'm well aware of what work is involved. I just need to keep busy, and with the bandmill being set up in a floored saw shed, the walking to push the mill back and forth will be far easier than what I had on a bad hip.
I think what's driving sales are manifold. More people at home, stimulus checks, lumber prices and likely the romantic notion that in a few hours you can cut your own lumber to build everything you want to build.
Won't they get a big wake up call. I also agree, in a few years there will be lots of mills for sale as payments become due. I feel sorry for those who borrowed the money to buy a mill.
At 74 yrs of age, I just couldn't see waiting to get a mill as a bunch become available in 2-5 yrs.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

stavebuyer

I also think there will be a lot of people surprised that while they saw some pretty lumber that it will often need to be dried, planed, and possibly graded to be useful and that while the surface is smooth the dimensions may not be as uniform as they think once they go to use it.

Rhodemont

I purchased my LT35HD in 2016 because I have a lot of forest land and wanted to use my own trees to build horse fencing , run in sheds, hay barn, etc... So not being a business it is a hobby but has paid for itself  (if you consider my labor free) against buying material  for the projects.  Word of mouth has generated quite a number of inquiries to sell fence boards so it does generate some cash flow now when I free up some time to take them on.  A couple of those who have bought boards have now purchased mills of there own.  I do not get it, they live on a couple acres.  How much wood can they need?  In a few days enough hobby wood could be milled to last 10 years.  Rather than asking about boards they are asking to buy logs because they have already learned that scrounging gets you junk wood.  Actually, this has worked out pretty good because I priced the logs per Bdf using doyle at the same rate as I did the milled boards I sold them and they did not even bat an eye. So I cut out my milling labor to generate the same cash.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Jeff

We are going to feel the effects here. We already are with new registrations of new mill owners. At least once they have found us they have the most complete source of information on real world sawmilling information in recorded history.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Southside

Was there a bunch of recorded sawmilling information in pre-recorded history that has been lost or something?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Southside on May 07, 2021, 02:33:27 PM
Was there a bunch of recorded sawmilling information in pre-recorded history that has been lost or something?  :D
It was BLEACH Bitted 😂
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Jeff

EZ added another month on their website today.  August. 2022.

Jeff

Was there a bunch of recorded sawmilling information in pre-recorded history that has been lost or something?  :D
powder POST beetles.

customsawyer

It's interesting that with all the new mills out there, I still get customers that drive 3 hours or more to get green lumber.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Upstatewoodchuc

This thread hits close to home for sure. Im in the middle of reconstructing a timber frame house and was considering purchasing a mill. I've been chainsaw milling for the last 4 years and am very familiar with how painful it is, however when going to order a mill, regardless of manufacturer, I won't even see it until the fall when I have the home standing again. So now I plan to sub the board making out to a local sawyer and chainsaw mill the big timbers myself unfortunately. If only I had pulled the trigger in December when I was first looking....
Current collection: Husky 3120xp,  372xp, 365, husky 55, homelite xl12. Michigan 85 wheel loader, Ford 8n with loader and forks. Farmall super C, 1988 international dump truck, John Deere 440ICD dozer, 19ft equipment trailer, 40 ton TSC splitter, modified dieder splitter with 4 way.

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: Jeff on May 07, 2021, 04:09:45 PM
powder POST beetles.
You'll have that. :D
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Sixacresand

It was almost two months to get my mill during the slow times.   Seems like quicker than a delivery of new blades, recently.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

DixieReb31

I received my LT35HD on April 12th.  Last month.  I ordered it November 19th, 2020. They told me it would take 23 weeks.  It took 20.  Now, I think they said 55 weeks.  
WM LT35HD, John Deere 2040, John Deere 4044 w/FEL, Grapple, forks.

Thank You Sponsors!