The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: You Can't Fix Stupid  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
Re: You Can't Fix Stupid
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2021, 10:07:49 AM »
Regarding the grand plan where lady fair lived it was a con game .Plain as the nose on your face .Developed and laid out by a known con man but evidently desirable to some .I do know her home sold in three says before it was  even listed in homes for sale sites or the news paper .
About 1400 square feet and valued as much as mine which is on 6 acres, brick and 2200 sq feet .On the other hand if mine were in that area it would be worth a half a mil . I didn't pay near that amount 26 years ago .

Offline Kindlinmaker

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2021, 11:18:16 AM »
I have done a great deal of research on these; initially for business reasons but then just out of plain curiosity why a person would actually elect to have someone dictating more rules limiting their lives.  Its interesting what you learn when you start doing factual research.

HOAs are not a left coast - right coast thing; they are everywhere.    Interestingly, you will hear nightmare stories from all of them at some point but the "wanabes" are normally the biggest pains; figuring what is driving them would be a whole career.  While retirement communities and affluent, upper middle class suburban communities seem to drive most of the ugliest stories, you will find plenty of ugly stories and lawsuits in the midwest and rural areas as well.

The HOAs can be as simple as keeping out the neighborhood junk yards or as complex as what color and when you paint your house or what flowers you can plant and where.  But once the HOA is established, the majority can change rules (and associated costs) to anything they want and they are generally as enforceable (including financial penalties) as any other civil law.  Many times they will be linked to a club environment as is the case with many retirement communities.  As a good friend of mine, who lived in a beautiful Florida golf community, told me 30 years ago, "it may not be perfect but it is like living in a minimum security prison with maximum benefits".  Everything in life has tradeoffs.

While they may not work for folks like us, they certainly have their benefits or they wouldn't be so popular.  They tend to help hold property values, insure you live in a relatively attractive environment, tend to have lower crime rates and keep absolutely obnoxious neighbors at bay (although the pain in the neck bylaw enforcers may be more obnoxious than "standard" problem neighbors).

Here is a thought to chew on a bit.  HOAs are a pain to set up,  a pain to administer, and cost money that everyone would rather have in their pocket.  But just like building codes, zoning laws and many other frivolous laws that limit our freedom, they are born out of a reaction to someone who would not live/operate under common sense rules and courtesy to their neighbors.  

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2021, 11:49:59 AM »
They are very common on the left coast, it is the only way most can afford their own housing. I got into one because I had the funds available and prices were rising but soon learned the error of my ways. One of the owners was also the paid complex manager, a clear violation of ethics if not the law, and he and his cronies milked it. Eventually it went into receivorship.
The city council of Port Moody BC had a motion to chip dogs and have dna samples collected so poo going to the landfill could be traced! It was to be disposed of down the toilet, try that with a bermese mountain dog! I didn't hear if it passed. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2021, 12:02:12 PM »
   I read an article recently where a homeowner found a lawn ornament - a big concrete frog about 2' long or so and put it out by his flowers in front of his house. Another neighbor said his/her child was scared of frogs or maybe it was just this frog and would not walk past the house so they complained to the HOA who directed them to remove it. It might not be my cup of tea but it was not hurting anything. I remember wanting to extend my yard fence in NC when I was in the USMC and bought a home nearby and found I could not do so because it "diminished the value" of the surrounding property. I bought to live there not as an investment so I did not care about the value of my neighbors property. It just meant I had less safe area for my kids and dog to use even though I owned and paid taxes on the property. I could not plant a dogwood or peach tree in my front yard either. I am not built to live under such restrictions.

There have been numerous cases of residents complaining about US flags flown by veterans from poles or attached to the home. Sometimes other residents say they feel the flag is offensive to them and want it removed and "in the spirit of inclusion" the HOA directs them to move it. Sometimes the courts have sided with the homeowner, sometimes with the HOA.

I worked a couple of years in Norway and have a Norwegian daughter (former exchange student) over there. Norway is a beautiful country but they have similar rules and restrictions. Lots of Norway looks like lots of WV with mountains and clusters of homes up in the little valleys. You could not mow your lawn or wash clothes on Sunday or hang them on a line outside then. If you wanted to paint your house you had to go before the local commune and get their approval of your color scheme. Any new building or modifications had to be approved by the commune.

Ruth said the owners of a piece of land near her died and their family did not want it so it was abandoned and the commune divided it up and gave it to various neighbors I guess so they maintained it and paid property taxes on it. She was given several acres adjoining her place but they took an acre or so off the other side of her land and gave to another neighbor to keep harmony in the community. While in the end she ultimately benefited her dad and she had done a lot of work and put in many improvements on the property the commune seized and gave to the other neighbors and she had no real say in the matter.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2021, 01:11:04 PM »
yay collectivism!
Psalm 37:16

Offline Patrick NC

• I'm not new anymore, but still pretty green
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2021, 02:03:49 PM »
I don't think I could live in a neighborhood with a HOA. As a matter of fact,  I don't think I could live in a neighborhood period. I live out in the sticks on 12 acres and prefer it that way. I can't imagine that my personality would mix well with someone who finds my flag offensive and want it taken down. In that case I would probably have to demonstrate what offensive really means. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Offline HemlockKing

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2021, 04:02:46 PM »
How do you fellas keep yourself composed with these ďHOAsĒ? I guess Iím imaging someone walk into my property (which you canít see jack all from the road, itís all trees) and tellin me what I can and canít do even though nothing is seen unless you actually walk into my land. Surely this is just suburb issues? I havenít heard of any HOAS around here, people literally live in shacks and a junkyard for a front yard. 
Nothing worth having comes without a fight, gotta kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight

Offline HemlockKing

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2021, 04:04:37 PM »
I don't think I could live in a neighborhood with a HOA. As a matter of fact,  I don't think I could live in a neighborhood period. I live out in the sticks 
Amen  :)
Nothing worth having comes without a fight, gotta kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2021, 06:20:54 PM »
Wife looked over at the milk house earlier and told me a calf was sleeping in the driveway. Oh well, she was comfortable.

I don't think I would do well in a neighborhood either. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline Tom King

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • HistoricHousePreservation
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2021, 07:22:47 PM »
If you can see a neighboring house, they are too close for me.  Two dog barks away is about minimum.

Our nearest neighbor is a lake house less than one dog bark through the woods.  We can hear the dog barking some weekends, and that is too *DanG close.

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2021, 08:05:05 PM »
My opinion only! HOAs are like Labor unions, started with good intent and sometimes were/are needed but if they get too powerful and the officers get on a power trip then not good.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2021, 10:06:15 PM »
They have  their place. My stepson was raised in the city and has no clue about looking after a house or yard, his dad was a perfectionist and did it all himself. Chris lived in a detached house for a time and HATED it, they are now in a condominium and are very happy. Have a problem? Pick up the phone. We moved from the city to an acreage near a small town and loved it, neither he or his city bred cousin could understand the appeal. The kids couldn't understand no wifi for their phones :D

Offline Logger RK

• Share Post
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2021, 10:55:13 PM »
A few years ago My Bride was in the Hospital for a few days for Surgery & I figured I could figure out the dish washer. And as I figured more is better with the Dawn Degreaser Soap,I learned thereís a limit. Only thing I could think of was to take a picture of the suds boiling out the top. She did get a chuckle out of it when She got Home. And donít let Me near it since. 

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2021, 04:47:49 AM »
Speaking of  suds ,I installed a whirlpool tub for a lady about 35 years ago and her moron daughter put bubble bath in it .Imagine that a bath tub with hydrophobia . :)

Offline breederman

• Senior Member x2
  • getting by the best way I know how
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2021, 05:57:10 AM »
I got upgraded in a hotel once and it had a big ole whirl pool in it. This red neck dumped the bottle of provided bubbly stuff in and turned that baby on. I bet the suds were 3 feet high. Took me all night to get them down the drain.
Together we got this !

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2021, 11:29:58 AM »
 :D That would be a scene from The Beverly Hillbillies

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Did something stupid

Started by thecfarm on Chainsaws

69 Replies
Last post January 27, 2018, 06:25:41 AM
by teakwood
xx
You can't fix stupid

Started by sawguy21 on General Board

7 Replies
Last post August 08, 2020, 06:48:28 AM
by Old Greenhorn