The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: You Can't Fix Stupid  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • Share Post
Re: You Can't Fix Stupid
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2021, 04:06:13 AM »
Been in the same house now for 34 years. The original aluminum siding part doesn’t get algae but the vinyl siding does. Another example of going backwards in technology. Never treated the lawn with anything and each April beautiful waves of dandelions and violets look as pretty as my intentionally planted hyacinths. My dirt and gravel driveway are grandfathered in as permissible by the Township but new homes must macadam the drive to get their occupancy permit. Another backwards improvement, why not let the earth breathe and perk down rainwater?  Why would anyone want a driveway that burns your feet in summer and reflects and holds heat?  

I would be an HOA’s worst nightmare, but I would never buy a home and forfeit my rights to live as I please. 

Now for anyone that needs to know, that algae will disappear without any scrubbing or pressure washing by diluting one cup of white vinegar to a gallon of water and just put that in a spray bottle, spray it and wait a few days.  Gets windows sparkling clean too. Need weed killer?  Just add a cup of epson salt and a few drops of dawn liquid to the above diluted vinegar. 

Say when

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2021, 04:49:09 AM »
 :D Being a red neck I look at HOA's about the same as I do "time shares " .,Not for me .They might be appealing to the country club set though .

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2021, 05:09:44 AM »
Funny thing  about hoity toits .I've had three different women ,all city girls ,classy ladies .For some reason when I get them in the country they fit right in and have no desire to go back .They put up with my 5 to 15 cords of firewood, bull dozer in the woods ,strategically placed junk hiding in the woods and drinking beer on the patio ,out of the can .From evening dresses to blue jeans in a flash . 8)

Online HemlockKing

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2021, 05:46:54 AM »
,strategically placed junk hiding in the woods
:D :D :D :D
Nothing worth having comes without a fight, gotta kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2021, 05:53:09 AM »
I have a brother that has a $150,000 house with junk cars in front of it and probably a couple dead riding lawn mowers and various other pieces of iron too. Now nothing really a matter with that, but I'm like Al. Come to my house and you would have no idea the junk I have out in the woods.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline sprucebunny

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2021, 06:20:19 AM »
Here is a link to the news story. With pictures !!
B.C. creek fills with foam after laundry powder applied to nearby rooftops to control moss | CBC News

Unfortunately, the "writer" confused the word 'pillows' with the word 'billows' so the scenes as well as the writing are surreal ::)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2021, 07:55:33 AM »
the vinegar salt and soap grass killer works extremely well.  HOAs not so much. 
Psalm 37:16

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2021, 09:24:27 AM »
Al,

Forgive me for being nosy but with 3 women - are you on the "Catch and release program"? :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Sedgehammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Old enough to know better, but ya only live once!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2021, 09:52:04 AM »
Al,

Forgive me for being nosy but with 3 women - are you on the "Catch and release program"? :D
:D :D :D smiley_clapping

Offline Resonator

• Board Footage and Cord Woodage
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2021, 12:43:26 PM »
I didn't know what a "HOA" was and had to look it up. Ah, no thanks. I'll stick with living out in the sticks.  ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2021, 01:13:41 PM »
I don't know either, here's my guess:  Home Owners Association?
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer, 2018 Silverado 4X4
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2021, 01:58:46 PM »
I tried  fixing stupid  once but he didn't listen. Darwin finally fixed  him for good.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2021, 02:34:37 PM »
Darwin has a way of doing that. ;D  @Chuck White you are correct. I lived in one, even served as president in an effort to help straighten out the finances. Finally gave up and sold out.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2021, 04:21:56 PM »
You folks are right about fixing stupid, however with the right medical team at your disposal you can sedate it.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2021, 08:37:13 PM »
Seeing is believing.  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2021, 08:09:31 AM »
Al,

First wife and mother of my children, divorce .Later passed away. .Number two wife of 23 years ,rare disease, passed 7 years ago .Number three who is Mrs Smith but not Mrs Al smith ,widow of one of my best buds .We've known each other since 10 years of age .At 73 years of age marriage is out of the question but being a man of honor if she would get in the family way I would marry her .It's the right thing to do  ;)

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2021, 08:11:58 AM »
 My son is a HMO's worst nightmare, he's really worked them up with the different ways of growing grass on the front lawn. I told him about this thread and he txt'ed about the hmo vice squad is trying to get a rule pass where your dogs an cats have to be registered and have a chip put in with dna so they can test poop and fine the owners who don't pick it up  :D :o.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2021, 08:24:35 AM »
Now this HOA stuff where lady fair lived in Sylvania Ohio you couldn't even grow a tomato plant in the flower bed .All the lawns were done by one lawn service and all mowed at the same time .Now all that is okay if you're into that I'm just not  one of them .By the same token I'm not one to have a half dozen junk cars in the front yard up on blocks either .It's been said when  in Rome do as the Romans ---or just don't go to Rome .I'll do the later .

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2021, 09:08:58 AM »
Al,

You are never going to never going to convince me that there is not collusion and kickbacks involved when the HOA designates a specific landscaping service. 

Ed,

The DNA test is definitely going overboard! Next they will be demanding bells on cats - if not a leash law to protect the neighborhood wildlife, and birth control pills for them. I can't wait for the DNA tests to come back and show it is fox, coyote, possum, coon or armadillo. BTW - was this housing on the left coast? Just asking. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2021, 09:50:40 AM »
No this was in Ohio .The land of cornfields about like Iowa but with better corn .Those fields west of Toledo Ohio are in sections minus the houses on the road frontages .5-600 acres .The muckity mucks live on the outskirts of Toledo .The county club bunch or want-a-be's of same .It's not much different in Columbus Ohio .

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Did something stupid

Started by thecfarm on Chainsaws

69 Replies
Last post January 27, 2018, 06:25:41 AM
by teakwood
xx
You can't fix stupid

Started by sawguy21 on General Board

7 Replies
Last post August 08, 2020, 06:48:28 AM
by Old Greenhorn