The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Deer Salt  (Read 1342 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Deer Salt
« on: May 03, 2021, 12:42:26 PM »
Just a friendly reminder that now is the time when deer need salt supplements the most. When growing racks or feeding fawns etc.  Both calcium chloride and sodium chloride in granulated form.  By far cheaper at your local co-op vs walmart.  $8 for a 50lb sack here for example. 

They also need phosphorus and other trace elements.  I know its natural to tink ofnm this stuff in fall but youll be growing better deer to get that food plot and salt sack out now.   Salt leaches bad in sand or runs off on hills.  You want flat ground and clay soil to park it on ideally. 

Kent Kammermeyer has some good articles summarizing the vast studies done on deer and salt if you care to look into it. 
Psalm 37:16

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
Re: Deer Salt
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 02:35:49 PM »
I would think a true trace mineral block would be a healthier option overall.  Might not grow the monster rack.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 03:27:30 PM »
Im not any sort of authority on it... Maybe so.  The guy i referenced claims the studies have shown that the levels of sodium chloride and calcium chloride required by deer is not achievable in block form but is in granular form by the same manufacturers, according to those manufacturers.  

Now i have no idea why that is if it is at all.  Fwiw.. I agree with him out of unqualified common sense that salt is just one small part of total health.  Variety food plots, mast and forage being the rest of it i suppose.  

Offline Silverfoxfintry

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 05:12:37 PM »
We farm a lot of Sheep around my area. It is common to see Roe Deer at the Mineral blocks the Shepherds put out for the Sheep.
On a slightly different topic.
We have had a long, cold spell lasting almost 3months. The Deer , both Roe and Red have had a very lean time. I Shot a nice Roe buck on Saturday. Not an ounce of fat round the Kidneys.
Usually by now they are starting to lay down reserves for the Rut in late July.

Happy Hunting.
Silverfox.

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 06:21:29 PM »
Selenium is an important mineral for cattle and equine that is often deficient in the soil resulting in low uptake. 

I would think the same rules apply to deer.

They will dig up quite a hole in a pasture where we have had a block feeder. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline TroyC

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 08:23:17 PM »
I have one of those brown mineral blocks at my feeder. Been watching the deer lick on it lately. There are 5 that come to the feeder daily, one is obviously a very pregnant doe. Sometimes, two or three will be licking on the block at the same time. There is a little button buck, he really enjoys the block when it is wet.

Online KEC

• Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 09:16:31 PM »
In New York it is illegal to put out salt for deer. I personally think we should be able to. 

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 11:52:13 PM »
Yes, you should be able to. After all, its something that they need. If nothing else then for good health for the future generations. Im sorry but NY has some messed up laws.
Trying harder everyday.

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 11:59:26 PM »
Im also thinking about that chronic wasting disease. If its spread by the saliva then a block would be a bad idea, but the loose minerals would be much more unlikely to have that happen. Just for the simple fact that the saliva will have much more time to evaporate or whatever goes on to make it less likely to effectively transmit to another animal.

I also know that from first hand experience that all sorts of animals will tear up the ground for commercial loose products like Deer Cane. Its a slow way for us to dig but great for us lazy folks 🤫
Trying harder everyday.

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 02:18:45 AM »
Good stuff and smells good. Used it for years. TSC carries it.

Offline Skip

• Saw hard or stay home.
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 09:04:43 AM »
I have a mineral block and a salt block fairly close to each other , the deer will step over the salt to get to the mineral block and dig quite a hole to get to the good stuff when its dissolved . I always dig a small crater when setting them .

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 09:34:24 AM »
   Everybody else is trying to raise big deer with huge racks. As I get older I have working on a selective deer breeding program on my property geared more to making the deer easier to hunt. If a group of deer come out while I am hunting I note which one is the most alert and careful and shoot that one first. My goal is to raise a deer herd with poor hearing, cataracts and susceptible to head colds. I shot a spike a few years ago who walked up within 6' of me and waited while I unzipped my bow case, got out my bow, arrow and release and shot him about 20' away. I honestly checked him closely to be sure he did not have a collar or ear tags as I did not want to shoot anyone's pet. He was just stupid. I regret shooting him to this day. He had the genes I am looking for. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 10:24:40 AM »
LoL howard

Online KEC

• Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2021, 10:27:02 AM »
I am fairly sure that New York origionally passed the law against putting salt out for deer because people would use it to attract deer during the season to shoot them. If everyone put salt out, then no one would have an unfair advantage. And deer most want the salt in the spring and summer. The D.E.C. now makes the case for not having deer swapping spit at a salt lick, which may have merit. The crazy thing is that it is legal to sell salt containing products labeled for deer and the stores are selling lots of it. You just can't legally put it out for the deer. On a side note, a few years ago, on a nature show on TV they showed film footage of elephants in Africa going into caves to get salt. They used their tusks to break off chunks of salt to eat. I'm thinking that as soon as they left the cave they probably made a beeline for the nearest waterhole. WV, did You know that ?

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2021, 11:08:42 AM »
I have a mineral block and a salt block fairly close to each other , the deer will step over the salt to get to the mineral block and dig quite a hole to get to the good stuff when its dissolved . I always dig a small crater when setting them .
Just something to consider, if any block uses mollasses as a binder, deer are gonna be on it like dorito dust.  
Apparently that is a frequent cause of consumption to the point of toxicity with the trace elements.   

Offline Skip

• Saw hard or stay home.
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 11:39:25 AM »
All natural all the time .

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 12:18:10 PM »
Does that make the does feel like a natural woman?   ;D

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 03:26:59 PM »
Thats good on digging a crater. When you have a crater the water washes and leaches the minerals in the soil and they will always hit that spot

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2021, 06:37:54 AM »
Selenium is an important mineral for cattle and equine that is often deficient in the soil resulting in low uptake.

I would think the same rules apply to deer.

Ive put quite a bit of time reading into cervid mineral needs lately from university sources and selenium is necessary but toxicity is not far above minimum requirements for deer.. Its a narrow window.  

Deer specific blends are around 10ppm or less while weened cattle mineral at the co-op are all 30ppm selenium and goat blend was 80 which would probably harm deer.

Here is a geuine deer blend from a major manufacturer that i will get a price on today.

The hunting supplement industry buys from industrial producers, puts it in the fancy small bag or bucket with great marketing claims and charges 4- 500% more every fall.  Great business. Just like food plot seed.  $10 for a pound when you can get a 50lb sack of each component for $8bucks and blend your own to better suit your conditions.

I got 100lbs of trace mineral salt and 18.5 dicalcium carbonate for under $30 yesterday.  

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2021, 11:01:36 AM »
Single 50lb bag of kaufmanns is $25.80 retail at their site, for perspective. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
salt and pepper

Started by 4x4American on Sawmills and Milling

86 Replies
Last post February 01, 2016, 08:08:55 PM
by 4x4American
xx
Salt Lick

Started by Kevin on The Outdoor Board

11 Replies
Last post March 26, 2007, 07:27:02 AM
by Weekend_Sawyer