iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I just Ordered a Woodland Mills band mill

Started by maple flats, May 03, 2021, 02:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

After running a Peterson ATS, then converted to a WPF, (now sold) I decided it was time for a change. The Peterson was a great saw, but I no longer  have a need to cut 48" diameter logs, nor move the mill to do custom cutting at their site thus.......
I just ordered a Woodland Mills HM130Max. I also ordered a band blade sharpener, but no tooth setter yet, that will come. The Woodland Mills mill will be set up in a saw shed, once I build it.
Most of my logs will be between 18" and 28" at the big end, and will be mostly Hemlock, although I'll also cut hardwood. My first project will be to build a saw shed, with wood floor and roof deck, covered with steel roofing, Designing that until the mill arrives. I have a bunch of logs to move, to make room for said shed. I'm changing my whole set up for milling, rather than how I had it with the Peterson. I'll also make a lumber rack, open on one side, so once stacked I can move it to another location to dry. I have at least 2 other projects in mind for thru 2023. There will likely be more things to build so I can get all of my equipment either in a shed, or at least under a roof.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

VB-Milling

Sounds like a solid plan.  You took my spot in the Woodland Mills queue as I haven't ordered yet  :D

I'm sure you're looking forward to the end of August.

I'd be interested to know if they said anything about shipment date other than speculating 31 Aug
HM126

VB-Milling

Just checked their site again...(I've been close to purchase about 35 times since Sept so I've been to their site a lot!)

This verbiage is new as of today.  At least they're keeping things lighthearted amidst all this craziness.

HM126

drlewis

we ordered the hm 122 9.5 hp and 1 track x on friday .i have 125 arces of woods with alot small white pine this size mill i hope will work.

Tacotodd

I suppose that they could always be trimmed down with a chainsaw, that way they'd be small enough for the opening.

I don't own a mill, it just makes sense.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
Trying harder everyday.

maple flats

I just ordered online, so I just hope their projection is both honest and accurate. I was going to order last week, when they projected delivery to be by July 31, 2021, so I'm hoping maybe early August but I won't bet on it.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

jasonb

Quote from: drlewis on May 03, 2021, 05:25:17 PM
we ordered the hm 122 9.5 hp and 1 track x on friday .i have 125 arces of woods with alot small white pine this size mill i hope will work.
The HM122 will cut a 22" diameter log with no problem.  It will actually cut a 24" log with a little bit of work and positioning.  The biggest problem I have is turning a log that size on the mill.
HM122

maple flats

Turning a log on the mill won't be an issue for me, at least I doubt it will. I will try using a can't hook first (I have a 4', 5' and a 68" all by LogRite), if that fails I'll use my excavator and a strap, to lift and roll as needed. For that I have 2 endless straps 8' long, and 2 lift slings, one just 4' long, one 8' long.
I'm finding lots of confusing things as I read about blades mostly. After running a Peterson with the same 4 blades since 2004, I now read about which blades to use, 3/4 pitch, 7/8 pitch, 1.0 pitch, 7 degree, 10 degree, 4 degree  .042, .055, .035. Thin kerf, std kerf, so confusing.
My mill when it comes will only have a 14hp Kohler and initially I'll be sawing mostly hemlock. Most will range in size from maybe 10" up to 28-32". All cut into dimensional lumber. For my sawing in the past, if making 2x4 or 2x6 I cut 1.5x4, or 1.5x6. Most 1x's I cut at 7/8xfull dimension. If sawing for a customer, I just asked which the preferred, full dimension both, or Nominal by today's stds. width and height. I cut whatever they wanted. Now with this new mill, it will all cutting for myself (and likely some for my brother) but likely none for many others except good friends maybe.
I did order a box of 15 blades, .041, 1 tpi, std kerf. Since I'm getting an automatic sharpener, and a very basic tooth setter, I'll learn with those for the foreseeable future. With the projects I have in mind, I'll likely be sawing 3-4,000 BF in Hemlock, maybe more.

maple flats

I'm drawing up plans for a saw shed. On my WH130Max for when it arrives, I'll have 1 track extension, giving me a 16'11" max log. Can anyone tell me what the track overall length will be, not the max log length. I'm thinking I want 10' extra on the far end, just in case I decide to add another track extension, plus likely 6' at the starting end (where the saw head is before the cut starts. The actual track length will help with the planning and design.

VB-Milling

HM126

maple flats

Thanks VB-Milling, just what I needed. Looks like if I'd researched in more, I'd have had my answers. Thanks for doing it for me.
Dave

VB-Milling

Quote from: maple flats on May 04, 2021, 01:23:15 PM
Thanks VB-Milling, just what I needed. Looks like if I'd researched in more, I'd have had my answers. Thanks for doing it for me.
Dave

I was on the site anyways and I have all the tech drawing pdfs saved as well, so it was no trouble at all.

Eric 
HM126

maple flats

Quote from: Tacotodd on May 03, 2021, 05:31:02 PM
I suppose that they could always be trimmed down with a chainsaw, that way they'd be small enough for the opening.

I don't own a mill, it just makes sense.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
Back when my Peterson was an ATS (all terrain saw) I had one log too big for the mill. The mill max was 60" on that, I had to trim maybe 4" off each side on the butt end, in order to cut it. that worked fine.

thecfarm

Turning a cant is easy. Keeping it in place with one hand on the peavey and dogging it in is hard.  ;)  I had to get the wife once to dog a log that I had cut one side off. I could turn it, but needed both hands to hold the peavey to hold the log in place. Once I had 2 sides cut off I was good. I use the tractor now, but that is a slow process, but it does work. I think I had a couple logs on the log brough and could not get the tractor to the mill. Lesson learned that time.
I also get kind of nervous when I get the tractor to help out turning logs on the mill. I have no idea what easy and careful means.  :o  ::)
I use 10° on my manual mill to cut hemlock. Not a problem. Now that spruce....... :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Daburner87

I just ordered the HM130Max Woodlander XL and Woodland Mills took my money Monday but haven't sent me a receipt or order confirmation yet.  I hope I dont get squeezed out of that Aug 31st shipment window.
HM130Max Woodlander XL

maple flats

I ordered mine at about 2:30 PM this past Monday, Eastern time, had my receipt by the end of the day. Yours should come if everything went thru OK. As far as getting squeezed out of the Aug. time slot, their stated delivery was July until about a week ago and had been July for at least 10 days.
However I checked a couple of other manufacturers and at least one is saying July, 2022. That could be pushing buyers to find ones projecting late summer 2021 which could result in forcing that date to slide faster.

maple flats

Change of plans already. I guess I'll just build the saw shed to accommodate the mill as ordered, but leave room for expansion if needed. Thus, I'll likely build it 8' x 26' or 28'

drlewis

we ordered at 9.00 am est, on april 30 it was comfirmed at 9.22 for end of aug. she said if you add or change order it will make a delay in shipping.

VB-Milling

I really need to jump on the "ordered a bandsaw mill" bandwagon.

Been staring at this screen for the last 5 months LOL

HM126

maple flats

Quote from: drlewis on May 05, 2021, 09:20:21 AM
we ordered at 9.00 am est, on april 30 it was confirmed at 9.22 for end of aug. she said if you add or change order it will make a delay in shipping.
I was told the same thing.

maple flats

After looking for a parts kit I still owe the FF member who bought my Peterson for 2 hrs, I needed a change of pace.
I started moving 2 big piles of logs to clear the way for the saw shed I'll build for my new sawmill. When I was put on a no work order for 8 weeks after my cancer surgery in 2018, my log pile and plans went down the tube. That set me so far behind on my other work, with maple , and working blueberries, I never got back to sawing. The work back log is just now beginning to get caught up. Anyways, when moving some of the log pile I had 2 that were no longer usable, punky. I didn't even figure what they were, but they are now rotting in the woods. So far the rest look good. I only got 8 big logs moved to a new location so far. More tomorrow, after I resume hunting up a parts kit for the Peterson. Then I'll move more logs, I hope almost all are still good. I suspect the rotten ones were some ash I took down, but with no bark I'm not sure. I did move some big Spruce, still good. I have a lot more spruce in the pile, to be moved. I don't think I had any oak nor cherry, mostly spruce, hemlock and ash. Likely a couple of red maple too, they might be history after setting 4 years now. I'll know soon. When I get the good ones piled again, I'll get a picture. Most if not all of the logs would have been sawed in 2018 or 2019. Some to sell, most to build an addition on my shop and one other storage building.

Thank You Sponsors!