iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Excise Tax?

Started by DixieReb31, May 04, 2021, 06:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DixieReb31

If your business is mobile, is federal excise tax applicable?

Do any of you mobile guys have to have your mill tagged?  License plate?
WM LT35HD, John Deere 2040, John Deere 4044 w/FEL, Grapple, forks.

John S

Tags depend on your state, federal excise tax?
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

DixieReb31

Excise taxes are taxes that are imposed on various goods, services and activities. Such taxes may be imposed on the manufacturer, retailer or consumer, depending on the specific tax.
WM LT35HD, John Deere 2040, John Deere 4044 w/FEL, Grapple, forks.

terrifictimbersllc

There is no federal excise tax on sawing service charges. You may be required to collect sales tax on sawing depending on your state's  law. In the us anyway.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

I had never heard of any Federal Excise tax. I am licensed registered with the fed with an EIN number, a WV business license and I collect and submit WV sales tax on every service I perform or item I sell unless to a tax exempt entity in which case I get a tax exemption form from them and they deal with any questions the state has on applicability of the exemption. WV does not require a license plate on a sawmill as they consider it a piece of mobile equipment.

A while back I talked to the tax people in VA since I am not that far from the state line and might get calls to saw down there. They were sufficiently confused and confusing I probably won't try to work across the line - I'll tell them to bring me their logs or find somebody else. They were talking about registering as a Fictitious Entity and such which made no sense to me sense I am doing business in my own name. They seemed more familiar with business set up as corporations than a simple sole proprietorship.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Good call WV - you don't want to have to deal with the VA tax folks.  Saw a log into lumber - collect sales tax.  Turn 2x lumber into 1x lumber - collect sales tax, plane full 2" rough sawn lumber into nominal dimension 2x - no sales tax.  Plane that same nominal lumber into 1" lumber - yup collect sales tax.  Makes absolutely no sense at all.  Oh - and then there are the local exemptions to know about....

Then you would also have to pay quarterly "Forest Use Tax" since you sawed those logs into lumber - I kid you not.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Nebraska

Forest use tax...Even if you own the land the trees are grown on??? 

Southside

JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Skip

Southside

I call it the "Sunshine Tax".  The state motto is "Virginia is for TAX Lovers" afterall.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Tacotodd

AR is close to the same it feels like.
Trying harder everyday.

Cedarman

If you get audited for sales tax, the paper trail is the most important part of it.  You will have x amount of money come in, you will have paid y amount of sales tax and you will  have z amount of money that tax was not collected.  In case they do not jive you will be given a month or two to get forms from tax exempt entities that you forgot to get or lost. For us we do not have to pay for goods shipped to another state. So have to have shipping proof. In the end, you will have to pay up for any sales tax missed and a fine.  They are not after to put you out of business as you pay their bills.  They just want their fair share.
Know nothing about excise taxes.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

OutlawB52

NJ requires tags. That's why I am not mobile .

Thank You Sponsors!