iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm not a plummer

Started by Jeff, May 06, 2021, 01:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

My parents camp in the Da UP had a 30 gallon propane tank type water.  Pilot light was lit when they got there.  Didn't take long to heat up, was shut off when they left, and easily drained for the season.  Water pressure for the place was supplied by a head tank in the garage rafters which was pumped full as needed using a generator to power the shallow well pump.  Other camps had head tanks in the reinforced cabin attics.  When real power came to the neighborhood they switched to an electric water heater and now have a deep well.  No pilot to light, just flipped the breaker to turn on and off.  Heats up fast.  Both were drained by running a hose out the door.  We've got an electric water heater at home and when we're gone for more than a couple days it gets shut off.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

You're going to bury your water line in PVC?  

Corley5

Use PEX.  Buy a crimp tool.  Life is way simpler using PEX  ;) :)

21incher

If you go propane lock up the tanks. When I was young we had a cabin in the catskills and everything ran on propane even the lights. We had several  tankfulls of propane  stolen by the locals between our visits. Dad finally locked them in a shed so there would  be propane for the next visit. Propane prices around  here are up 30% in the last couple months and our supplier said its going  to continue  rising because of the cutbacks in refining gasoline which  most propane is a by product of. 
If you have enough  power electric is easy for anyone to figure out with just a switch. Isn't  the rule of cabins arrive clean, leave grungy  ;D.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Jeff

Our rule is if one person showers, every body showers.(Hey! Dont even think that!) :D The new shower is 32 by 32 seester leenda just picked it up at menards for $211 includes drain and valve.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Quote from: Corley5 on May 07, 2021, 05:08:01 PM
You're going to bury your water line in PVC?  
Yes, 1" PEX from the well to the cabin, then 1/2 to what ever. I have a hundred feet of red and a 100 of blue. Gotta get the one inch yet. I have to go under the cabin under the front porch. There is no sidewalk there and it is just the fill between piers. That is on a footing, but only about 18" as I remember. HEY! I got video from under there! Under the cabin! I'll upload it.
I was dreading going under there. No one had been under there in a decade. At least. I'd never been under there since the sub floor was down. Heck no. Then, a few years ago  I saw a big snake. Poisonous constricting Garter snake slither into what I thought at the time, a place into the crawl space.  NOT ME UN-UH!. I'm picturing the place with shed snake skins, and spiders dropping in on ya from the floor joists, rodent remains, WHO KNOWS, MAYBE SNAKES! 
First trip up, the video where Tammy and I tell about getting the cabin, Jeremy and I had brought bug bombs up and were "Going in" to find out what we were going to have to do to get water in. The only access is through a place between the piers, that before the screen porch, had one of those galvanized window well retainers. Probably the smallest one they made it seems, and this had a cover.  Now, you have to peel up the indoor outdoor carpet and screen from the screen porch, and remove some boards that make a hatch in the floor then you remove the cover from the window well, and somehow squeeze in.  So, Jeremy and I pulled up all that stuff and looked in. A NEW BARRIER I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT!
When the crypt was sealed, little did I know Pete had built another panel of 1/2" plywood that went into the window well, and screwed to the pier fill framing. Nice. Really. Good idea. POOR EXECUTION. Pete put it in with Philips head screws and then stripped the heads out. Absolutely no where to pry or anything, so we had to battle axe our way through it. We had the thing open. I'm waiting for who knows what to start spilling up out of there.
I promised the women folk I'd get them seasonal running water. So, I'm going in.

Gotta go find my pictures.

Tom King

Careful crawling in those tight crawl spaces.  I spent some time under a 1928 church, crawling around like a snake.  When I came out, it was the first time I had ever had lower back trouble, and it took more than a week of doing nothing to get over it.   I don't do that any more.

The title of the thread reminded me of when I took the Plumbing License test in 1975.  I wasn't intending to get into any plumbing repair business, but wanted to know how to size pipes to go in the new houses I was building.

When we went in the test room, there was a sheet of paper, face down, on top of every desk.  We were told not to turn the paper over until the test began.

Once everyone was in place, and the time to start came, everyone turned the paper over.  It had on it.

1975 North Carolina Plumbing License Examination

What does every Plumber need to know?

Corley5

I'd go with black poly direct buried from the well to the cabin.  IMHO you're not going to gain anything burying PEX in PVC except added $$$ and time  :) :)

trimguy

I purchased an "Ecosmart 27 " for our cabin. I hope to get it in next trip but I'm not sure since somethings came up that I hadn't planned on and didn't get as much done this time as I had hoped. If I do , you are more than welcome to check it out. They make different sizes. I put this particular unit in a buddy's house about 2 years ago and he's says it's the best thing he's done to the house. Used by 4 people.

mudfarmer

We used Marey on demand propane like mentioned previously for 11 years, D cell battery ignition and easy to drain. Except that one time we thought it would be ok, left home for a couple weeks and it had a leak from freezing. Soldered that shut and used it another 5 years before my solder fix leaked again(not good at it and not much room to work in there)

Just switched this winter to a different one, similar but has 110v ignition and exhaust fan I guess to actually be safer indoors where it is, and you can actually set the water temperature. The other style only gives a set temp rise, say 60* for example. So if your input water is 40F it comes out 100F, input water 60F comes out 120F. I can't believe that the wife let it go so long with having to adjust that stupid water heater! One of us in the shower yelling to the other to turn it up because the tank was stratified etc. Water comes from cistern tank so throughout the year can see some decent temp swings.

Don P

Quote from: Tom King on May 07, 2021, 07:11:20 PM1975 North Carolina Plumbing License Examination
What does every Plumber need to know?
:D
1. Hot's on the left
2. Poop flows downhill
2b, if you're the helper, welcome to happy valley!
3. Never go to the truck emptyhanded after 3

Hilltop366

I have always heard...

1. _ _ _ _ runs down hill.
2 Pay day is on Friday.

Hilltop366

Quote from: Jeff on May 07, 2021, 06:52:33 PMincludes drain and valve.

I had trouble with the drain that came with the shower that we installed in an apartment, after a few years it would not hold the drain pipe in and leaked so I replaced it with a different kind, sorry I can't remember the details but I think the first drain had a rubber ring to hold the pipe in. I mentioned it to a plumber friend and he said that he throws the original drains away and puts a "proper" one on when installing a new shower.

One would hate to crawl under there more than needed! :)

Jeff

Yea no kidding, I would have never squeezed in there a year and a half ago, and never would of got out. Its hard to get out now.

So, introducing a video made whilst under the influence of of an exposed nerve in a Molar. Enjoy!  And you can see what I found down there if you don't get distracted.

A VISIT TO........ THE CRYPT ;o) - YouTube

samandothers

If I was doing the crawling I would make at least 1 or 2 added trips because I forgot stuff needed while under there!

47sawdust

I don't envy you the crawl space space work. As mentioned, something is always forgotten.
A patient helper to feed you parts or tools is a big help.
My wife usually doesn't want to be around me after a crawl space session.

I take it that an addition to house the shower/mechanicals is not an option, or bringing the water in above the floor.

After viewing the crawl space video that doesn't look too bad at all.
Good prep work, good lighting,good help and being well rested and you will be fine.
Wish I was closer. As a crawl space vet,with many hash marks,I know what you are up against.
Slow and steady gets 'er done,
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Tom King

From experience, another thing I can tell you about working in a crawlspace, is that you are about guaranteed to bump your head, and harder than you might think, even at a low speed crawl.

When there is not enough room for a hard hat, which there is not, a lot of times, I bought a plastic "skull cap" to wear in such places.  It's not as much cushion as a hard hat, but still a Lot better than nothing.

LogPup

A hardhat to protect you from the floor nails.  Now that hurts!!!

Tom King

Just remembered:  Mine is a "Base Coach Helmet".   Only cost a few dollars.  It's like a plastic baseball cap-lighter than a batters helmet.

Jeff

I gotta hard dense head, so, it might not add and benefit :D

Don P

Finally watched the video, heck that would qualify as an apartment in Tokyo. Mamma groundhog has 2 new kits under there helping us dig at work, many hands makes light work  :D.

Jeff

Yea! I was pleased. Unbelievably clean for as many critters up there.

Jeff

Quote from: Corley5 on May 07, 2021, 07:12:40 PM
I'd go with black poly direct buried from the well to the cabin.  IMHO you're not going to gain anything burying PEX in PVC except added $$$ and time  :) :)
Greg, my thinking is since this is a 3 season cabin, and something gets screwed up and froze under ground i can replacdeit without redigging the trench. I have to dig this by hand and I know I cant get it that deep, 

Corley5

Make the pipe big enough to pull an electric wire through too if needed  ;) :) :)

Don P

Foam insulation on top of the pipe in the trench will buy you a little bit.

Thank You Sponsors!