iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Debarker in/out drive shaft broke this morning

Started by Crossroads, May 06, 2021, 09:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Yup, it broke right off and left me with no control of the debarker. The logs were to dirty to even think about sawing without it, so my first thought was that I was dead in the water. I got on the phone with WM and even though my Warrenty has been expired for almost 2 years, they warranted the replacement shaft. In this day and age, ya gotta love a company that stands behind their products. Now, how to get back to sawing? I put 2 bungee cords from the log side of the debarker to the top blade guard hinge pin, then tied a rope to the outside of the debarker and the other end to the far end of blade guide arm. With a little adjustment, I had control of the debarker again, although I had to run the blade guide out about 3" more than I normally would. It wasn't perfect, but it got me through the day. If you zoom in you can see the bungee and the rope. I added a second bungee for more pressure.

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Southside

Nice recovery.  FWIW I keep a spare of that motor, after replacing mine several times.  It also works on my blade guide arm and my 250 sharpener so one spare part prevents three lost time breakdowns.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

When I got home tonight, I dug out the original standard debarker that came with the mill and it still had the in/out motor. I'll put it on in the morning although it has a smaller sheave. Then when the replacement gets here I'll put it on with the correct sheave. Thanks southside, that's good to know. That's one of my fears, to have a breakdown that I can't recover from and finish the job. Even though I only schedule 3 weeks at a time, that would be painful to tell a customer I can't get back for 2-3 weeks or reschedule everyone else. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

stavebuyer

Quote from: Southside on May 06, 2021, 10:50:48 PM
Nice recovery.  FWIW I keep a spare of that motor, after replacing mine several times.  It also works on my blade guide arm and my 250 sharpener so one spare part prevents three lost time breakdowns.  
Yeah they like to eat them. I found a little red locktite on the setscrews prior to install helps as them getting loose generally causes the failure.

Crossroads

Quote from: stavebuyer on May 07, 2021, 06:12:01 AM
Quote from: Southside on May 06, 2021, 10:50:48 PM
Nice recovery.  FWIW I keep a spare of that motor, after replacing mine several times.  It also works on my blade guide arm and my 250 sharpener so one spare part prevents three lost time breakdowns.  
Yeah they like to eat them. I found a little red locktite on the setscrews prior to install helps as them getting loose generally causes the failure.
Mine didn't have set screws, it had a hole through the shaft with a roll pin holding the sheave. The hole in the shaft is where it broke. I wish it was set screws, that would remove the weak spot. 

Southside

The shaft is too small and the roll pin shears off cutting the shaft in time. That and good luck driving the broken roll pin out of the pulley.

I modified mine using my Miller Bobcat hot glue gun and 3/32", 6013 hot glue sticks. Has not been a problem since. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

Ya that broken pin comes out of that pulley some hard.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Crossroads

Installed the motor from the standard debarker this morning and I did notice a difference in the in out speed with the smaller sheave. 

Dan_Shade

Is the entire assembly different on a wide model?

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Crossroads

Quote from: Dan_Shade on May 08, 2021, 05:34:10 AM
Is the entire assembly different on a wide model?
Yeah the pivot point for the wide is about 20" in front of the saw head and the debarker swings between the pivot and the head. Also the main motor spins the opposite direction. 

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Crossroads

I think the standard actually works a little better, but I really didn't get to use it all that much. On the wide, it wouldn't reach any under 12-14" if I remember correctly and Woodmizer send out the upgrades pretty quickly. With the new one we have to run a disc under the blade to control the depth of cut and it seems like the disc interferes with the debarker on the first cut or 2. I do like how it throws the chips and dirt away from the operator. 

John S

Woodmizer offers an upgrade to prevent the debarker blade from cutting too deep.  It is basically a disc that replaces a washer.  Mine is also modified to rotate in the opposite direction from when I received it. Looking at it from above, it rotates counter-clockwise.  It doesn't trip circuit breaker as much as it did.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Thank You Sponsors!