iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2x6x10 treated cheaper then 2x6x10 non-treated

Started by Sedgehammer, May 09, 2021, 10:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

Necessity is the engine of drive

Southside

My guess is supply.  Plenty of treated available?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

jopoff1981

If I'm not mistaken the treated is made of yellow pine and is cut in the US and the untreated is fir and comes mostly from Canada and because of Covid it's backed up. That's my guess

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Southside on May 09, 2021, 11:01:17 AM
My guess is supply.  Plenty of treated available?
It's about $6 cheaper here. I suspect people will start using it for studs with that price difference. 

Sedgehammer

Quote from: jopoff1981 on May 09, 2021, 11:06:57 AM
If I'm not mistaken the treated is made of yellow pine and is cut in the US and the untreated is fir and comes mostly from Canada and because of Covid it's backed up. That's my guess
It is plentiful in the western states also, but mostly in blue states. I suspect same applies

thecfarm

I myself would not want it for studs in a house. Maybe wrong, but I would not want to breath in all the chemicals in the PT.
But in a out building I would use it.   ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

firefighter ontheside

I had to go buy some treated 2x4 for the boat trailer at the firehouse and expected to be blown away by the prices for treated, but I wasn't.  Of course they were more than normal, but not what I expected.  I thought they would be much more than regular.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Sedgehammer

Quote from: thecfarm on May 10, 2021, 06:28:02 AM
I myself would not want it for studs in a house. Maybe wrong, but I would not want to breath in all the chemicals in the PT.
But in a out building I would use it.   ;)
Not only that, but one wood need stainless steel fasteners. I can see sheetrock falling off after a few years for those that use it, not knowing it.

Cedarman

High price of treated makes the phone ring for ERC.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

21incher

Went  to Home depot and picked  up some  2 x 6 x8 pressure treated.  The non treated 2 x 6 x 8s were over a dollar more. The treated ones were  about 40 pounds each so it has nothing  to do with  shipping  weights  ;D. The non treated were the nicest lumber I have ever seen at HD. Perfectly dry, straight,  flat, and very few small knots. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!