iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Check sprockets on TimberKing 1600

Started by Soygato, May 28, 2021, 08:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soygato

I need to check the drive sprockets for the bed of my TimberKing 1600. Do I need to lift the entire head and motor? If so, what's the easiest way?

tacks Y

Can you use the log grab? Brace across and lift just the end with the sprocket, careful not to flip it off there?

doc henderson

first I would say "what is the issue"  that makes you arrive at that.  for some problems like wear, you can see a representative tooth.  if you think it has a broken tooth, watch as you slowly move forward.  They repair and build them in KC and I have found the techs and even sales folks to have good suggestions.  Matt can get you to the right person.  He has been there long enough to remember problems with older designs, and how to upgrade/fix them.  tell them your concern or problem, and they can tell you the best way to trouble shoot.  they are a sponsor at the left.  should have a serial and year number on it.  those are slow moving, doubt they are worn out, maybe a tension issue?  again do not know what problem you are trying to fix or troubleshoot.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Soygato

The issue I'm trying to diagnose is the head has a slight wobble as it goes down the bed which causes a wavy cut. I've greased the sprockets. The chain that the sprockets crawl on looks okay. The only thing that makes sense to me is i have either a worn out sprocket or it has some sort of debris.

tacks Y

Also maybe ck bearings on wheels. I had to change one on my last mill so I did them all.

doc henderson

check your chain well.  I have had chain link issues but never a sprocket one.  hold old is the mill.  I use ATF on the chain in a pump up 2 gallon sprayer.  get ATF at TSC.  walk along with the tip laying in the grove of the chain.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

ladylake

Are you talking about the roller wheels he head rides on, they sure could have a bad bearing.  You'll need to jack up the head a little to check them and get them out.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

doc henderson

yeah, he said "drive sprocket" but is all a bit of a mystery until you look at how it works.  

alan gage

I have an old B-16 and last year it started getting herky jerky on the return but going forward was fine. Had to crawl it back very slowly. I thought it might be the carriage rollers or one of the chain rollers or possibly the pads under the carriage that keep it from rising up that were catching. I lubed things and it didn't seem to make a difference. Checked the hydraulic fluid after replacing a hose and found it very low. Topped it off and now the return is nice and smooth. Hadn't noticed it affecting other operations. Maybe it was just a fluke but something to check.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

alan gage

Quote from: alan gage on May 30, 2021, 06:58:12 PM
I have an old B-16 and last year it started getting herky jerky on the return but going forward was fine. Had to crawl it back very slowly. I thought it might be the carriage rollers or one of the chain rollers or possibly the pads under the carriage that keep it from rising up that were catching. I lubed things and it didn't seem to make a difference. Checked the hydraulic fluid after replacing a hose and found it very low. Topped it off and now the return is nice and smooth. Hadn't noticed it affecting other operations. Maybe it was just a fluke but something to check.

Alan
Well I guess it was probably a fluke. That was probably 2000bf ago and it's been fine until this morning when it went from just fine to real bad going forward and backward. Removed the LF chain sprocket and found the needle bearing has been very bad for a very long time. I'm assuming now that this is what had been causing my previous issues and that it was a coincidence that it went away when I topped off the hydraulic tank. Thankful to have a good hardware store in town that was open for a few hours this memorial day and I'm back to sawing.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Thank You Sponsors!