iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Decided to go gas. 8.1 to be exact. 04 model

Started by Sedgehammer, June 06, 2021, 06:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

Thinking about selling my 16 duramax (can't justify a 35k truck) and fixing up my 01. It's a 6.0. current motor runs well enough, but has 274k on it. I don't want a factory rebuild, as that's only 300 HP. i wood like 450 hpish more. anyone have thoughts on what i should put in?
Necessity is the engine of drive

btulloh

LS3.  Pretty easy to find at a junkyard for a decent price.  Probably need to swap the cam, put some headers on.  Might need to make some changes underneath in the exhaust plumbing so you don't have restrictions that rob HP.  Probably change the ECU to something like the Holley Terminator-X to give you some flexibility with the tune. That should get you to 450-500 hp.  Probably should tune it to get the torque in the RPM range you want since you're not racing.  You can also have an economy setting to save you some gas when your just going to get the groceries.
HM126

mike_belben

Refresh, portwork and turbo on your 6.0.  Make all the power you want.
Praise The Lord

btulloh

How much of the work are you planning to do yourself?
HM126

firefighter ontheside

I'm so happy me bride got it for me.....   

Does your wife know what you're planning?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

alan gage

Have you priced this anywhere yet? I haven't done a 6.0 estimate in a while but it's rare that we price out a rebuilt (crate) engine for less than $8k. There's no way we can compete on price by rebuilding it ourselves (not to mention tying up a bay for weeks). For what you're considering I'm guessing you'd be around $12k or higher, which makes a newer $35k truck seem like not such a bad deal.

You'll have a lot harder time finding someone to work on a modified engine too.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Southside

Not to mention going from 300 HP to 450 HP you better plan on doing the transmission at the same time.  What's the next weak link in the drive train after that?  Transfer case?  Rear end? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

red

Perhaps you really want more torque than horsepower ?  When I think of more horsepower I think high rpm 1/4 mile racing.  For torque I think pulling power for Towing heavy loads .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Tacotodd

Horsepower wins races. Torque moves loads.

That's a quote that I remember from a LONG time ago. And accurate it is  smiley_thumbsup
Trying harder everyday.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on June 06, 2021, 10:42:03 AM

Yup. she's onboard. issue is my back and left leg. pain so bad makes me want to puke at times. riding in a car is the hardest thing for me to do. some days it's ok, others i want to claw myself out of the seat. The other issue is with all the pain medicine I'm on I have to have constant caffeine to keep me alert and the moment i set down my body wants to sleep. there are times where my head almost hits the desk where i'm typing a post. if i', moving it's ok

we were going to get a 5th wheel toy hauler, but have decided to get a motorhome. i can drive through the cities and she can drive in the countryside. i can laydown if need be then

@Southside Transmission is fine to about 600 hp. it's the heavy duty one

@btulloh I have a mechanic friend that wood do most of the work as long as not an engine rebuild. good idea on the LS3.....

@red yes, more torque

@alan gage a drop in is about 8k. long block basic about 2.5k

@mike_belben talked about that the other day. been up since 2 this mornin looking at engine prices i forgot about that. good idea, but wood buy a long block

chevytaHOE5674

A 6.0 truck only ever came with a 4L80E. Not what I would call "heavy duty" more like adequate for stock power. Jump the power up and hook to a trailer and bye bye transmission. 

You can build a high HP/TQ 6.0l but it will never be like hauling with a diesel. 

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Tacotodd

Is there someway to put an Allison behind it? Or a stick?
Trying harder everyday.

barbender

If you're determined, I'm sure where there's a will there's a way. Myself I'd stick with the diesel if you already have it.
  Everytime I think I understand Horsepower and Torque, I read something else that throws a wrench in it...like I just read that when you dyno an engine the dyno is actually measuring torque, which is then numerically converted to hp😬
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

that is true.  horsepower cannot be measured, it is calculated from torque measurement.  i tend to think of HP as a rate of torque production.  
Praise The Lord

barbender

Can't you just chip the 6.0? We have an '03 Suburban that the previous owner chipped the 5.3 in it. I guess I never drove it stock to compare, but that thing has a lot of power!

barbender

So, HP is the measurement of the ability to move a determined amount, in a determined amount of time, correct? What about the Kilowatt rating of Euro engines? It gets confusing😊

snowstorm

So you are looking at a motor home on a 3500 gm chaise ? You may be hard core gm. But a e450 Ford is a lot more truck. Much bigger. Rear axel . The v10 will have all the power need and then some. It will burn a lot of fuel... they all do

Sedgehammer

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on June 06, 2021, 03:41:30 PM
A 6.0 truck only ever came with a 4L80E. Not what I would call "heavy duty" more like adequate for stock power. Jump the power up and hook to a trailer and bye bye transmission.

You can build a high HP/TQ 6.0l but it will never be like hauling with a diesel.
it'll live well @ 450 hp. i'd not be pulling all day long with it hardly if ever

@snowstorm i am no ford fan. had several. nickels and dimes, nickels and dimes. with that said, yes you are correct a 450 ford is heavier chassis then 3500 the gm. it's like comparing a gm 250 to a ford 350. not radishes to radishes. shove come to push, i'd buy a ford if the price was right and it fit what i wanted

@barbender yes you can, but this motor needs a nap and that'd still be short of what i am wanting. it's tired. yes diesel is better for towing, but i'm usually empty and diesels are extremely expensive to fixate on

@Tacotodd an allison? be spensive, very. a stick, not this life time

Southside

Quote from: barbender on June 06, 2021, 04:39:29 PM
So, HP is the measurement of the ability to move a determined amount, in a determined amount of time, correct? What about the Kilowatt rating of Euro engines? It gets confusing😊
Lets not forget about Newton-Meters....  Anyone have a loggers tape marked in Smoots while we are at it?  :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

btulloh

I lost confidence in the smoot when it was recalibrated about five years ago. Since then I'm always uncertain which version of the tape I was using. To me, the recalibration made the smoot moot.
HM126

barbender

Southside, once again I am left questioning your "moderating" influence😂

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Tacotodd on June 06, 2021, 05:28:40 PM
Educate me, what's a Smoot?
5'7". 
12 valve swap. Tune it for 350 hp/900 ft/lbs and never look back. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

dgdrls

Sorry to hear about your health challenges

You can build a 6.0 to make that HP but you may not like it for your application,
6.2 would work as @btulloh noted

or
Chevrolet Performance ZZ502/502 Deluxe 502ci Engine 508 HP @ 5200 RPM
your looking at $10 K drop-in with mods

D

chevytaHOE5674

You surely can build up a 4L80E. With deep enough pockets can build it to hold 1200hp.

As for a stocker holding 450hp I would say you better be gentle on it and have a temp gauge and keep an eye on things like a hawk. If towing in the summer add a 2nd cooler and say a prayer. A stock 6.0L will eat up a 4L80E if too much torque management is removed from the ECM.

If I was planning on putting 450+ hp thru a 4L80E that is 20 years old with 275k miles I would have a good shop go thru it and put a good convertor in it, as well as a good set of frictions and steels. There are some upgrades that should be done to the valve body as well. 

Patrick NC

I don't have any experience with the 4l80e but I had a 2014 Silverado 2500 6.0 with a 6 speed automatic. This was my work truck before I got the Duramax. Pulled a ctl on a 7 ton deckover at least twice a week. Replaced the first transmission at 105,000 and the second one at 175,000. Both were done at the dealership. Transfer case at 125,000 and rear end at 150,000. We had 2 other 6.0s on the fleet that all had similar issues. No problem with the engine, just the rest of the components not quite up to pulling heavy loads frequently. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

chevytaHOE5674

If the fluid is kept up the transfer case and rear end should hold up no problem. The transfer cases did have a habit of the pump chewing thru the housing though. 

Southside

Quote from: Tacotodd on June 06, 2021, 05:28:40 PM
Educate me, what's a Smoot?
@btulloh
The re-calibration, due to annual third rock solar ellipse completions, of the Smoot isn't necessary if you utilize the original basis for determination.  Namely one Smoot = 1/364.4 HB, where HB stands for Harvard Bridge.  The basis value has not been impacted by the annual trips nearly as much as the subject originator.  Granted using such a precise basis value has it's complications when determining distance in Smoots, especially in areas distant from the original subject, but calibrating a log tape in Smoots using the original basis should be pretty easy for a modern manufacturer determined to build precision measuring equipment, such as say Starrett given their proximity to the originator.  - Just saying.
@barbender I don't think anyone has ever accused me of being "moderate".   :D

As far as Newton-Meters goes, I had to convert that to Ft-Lbs and degrees one time when doing a head gasket job on my Kobelco excavator that has an industrial Mitsubishi engine in it and torque to yield head bolts.  My torque wrench was like --- Whaatt?
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Quote from: Dave Shepard on June 06, 2021, 08:04:07 PM
12 valve swap. Tune it for 350 hp/900 ft/lbs and never look back. :)
youve got good taste dave.

mine made 290/630 just on air filter, injectors and some pump tuning at stock timing.  and it was plenty to pull 25k gross as fast as you wanted.  but the 3500 didnt have enough brakes or leafs to feel good.  and that was with ford F350 twin piston calipers.  2nd gen dodge can use all the parts off a balljoint ford d60 from the knuckles out so i did a swap to get the better brakes and twisty hubs.  i do sorely miss the truck.  for pulling just a skid steer it would braaahhp up any hill in new hampshire for sure.  a spit pushrod is the only real issue it ever gave me.  hammered it flattish on a curb stone, lashed it and got back on the road. its still in there. 

my international 1600 has a pretty built 466 and a double over 13spd and that feels rock solid up to 40k in the mountains.  probably makes 300/800.  much better toter than the dually once you break the 20k mark.
Praise The Lord

Sedgehammer

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on June 06, 2021, 09:26:47 PM
If I was planning on putting 450+ hp thru a 4L80E that is 20 years old with 275k miles I would have a good shop go thru it and put a good convertor in it, as well as a good set of frictions and steels. There are some upgrades that should be done to the valve body as well.
Done a while back

farmfromkansas

Why not just buy a one ton truck dually with a 454 if you like GM?  I have a F450, with V-10, great motor if it will just run.  My fuel pump is acting up, hope that is all that is wrong.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Sedgehammer

Quote from: farmfromkansas on June 07, 2021, 10:39:44 PM
Why not just buy a one ton truck dually with a 454 if you like GM?  I have a F450, with V-10, great motor if it will just run.  My fuel pump is acting up, hope that is all that is wrong.
If'n one was avail w/ a crew, auto and wearing leather, I wood most seriously consider. I owned one of the 1st crew shorty 4x ever made. I can't find squat 

Sedgehammer

I know the 6.0 power strokes have head issues. I'm talking about those that have been refitted w/ studs. They don't need to be 'bullet proofed, as that's a name brand

Have an 06 getting new injectors being installed. It's also been deleted. Florida truck. No gooseneck ball. 220k miles. $15k

Also looking at a 05 duramax. Gooseneck ball.198k miles. $15.9k

A 02 PS. 300k miles.  No gooseneck. $10k

All nice trucks. All crew cab and automatics

Southside

The '05 Dmax is an LLY, they have a tendency to overheat when under a significant load.  I would try to find an '06 or '07 LBZ if you go GM.  That is the cats meow.  The early '06 had a crimped head gasket and they all fail eventually.  The upgraded riveted gasket has proven itself.  You can tell looking at the engine if the gasket has been done as there is one corner of the head where the gasket sticks out and the two designs are easy to distinguish.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Southside on June 08, 2021, 02:28:31 PM
The '05 Dmax is an LLY, they have a tendency to overheat when under a significant load.  I would try to find an '06 or '07 LBZ if you go GM.  That is the cats meow.  The early '06 had a crimped head gasket and they all fail eventually.  The upgraded riveted gasket has proven itself.  You can tell looking at the engine if the gasket has been done as there is one corner of the head where the gasket sticks out and the two designs are easy to distinguish.  
you are correct on the over heating issue. Wood replace current radiator and fluid first things if purchased

cannot find any in that year range in the price range (under 16kish). what they want for those years, might as well keep my 16

Southside

It's not the radiator - rather it's internal passage flow.  Not saying it's a bad engine, but if it's going to work for a living, then it's going to give you issues. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

I can't remember what year it was. I bought a new Chevy one ton gas with an Allison trans and big gas engine .
8. Some thing.
That thing was a beast pulling but I had one back of a gas bill at the end of the month. I pulled my 24' job trailer full of stuff all over NH and Vt. 
I traded it in for an awd 2500 van and parked the trailer.
Cut my gas bill in half.
The van had a 5.3 and was chipped.
I did miss that Allison trans. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

firefighter ontheside

What has been done with that 7.3?  Of course they can go a long way, but I think at 300,000 miles it will have already had a bunch of work or it will need it soon.  The B&W turn over ball hitch is easy to install in the 02.  I don't remember exactly but I think it was around 300 for just the turnover ball.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

snowstorm

Quote from: Sedgehammer on June 08, 2021, 01:33:08 PM
I know the 6.0 power strokes have head issues. I'm talking about those that have been refitted w/ studs. They don't need to be 'bullet proofed, as that's a name brand

Have an 06 getting new injectors being installed. It's also been deleted. Florida truck. No gooseneck ball. 220k miles. $15k

Also looking at a 05 duramax. Gooseneck ball.198k miles. $15.9k

A 02 PS. 300k miles.  No gooseneck. $10k

All nice trucks. All crew cab and automatics
The prices seen high to me maybe it's the market where you are. I sold a 02 for 3500 last summer. It did need a oil pan but ran like a top. Three yrs ago I bought a f350 plain xl 6.7 80000 miles from a Ford dealer for 17 k.I had a 250 6.0 and still have a f550 6.0 that has plowed roads since it was new. The only big repairs were. Fuel pump. Turbo. The actuator stuck. And last winter when scanned it showed low high pressure oil. It turned out to be the wiring plug on the ipr . An 06 is the last full year. 07 was a short run only a couple months. But the 6.0 lived several more years in the e series van. That would have the 5 speed auto. Not a bad trans better than the 4 l80 of the 7.3 days it's not the pretty much bump proff .6 sp you get with the 6.7. A guy I know stopped in Sunday to show me his new truck. In 18 I bought a new 250 6.7 lariat ultimate. Now his is a 19 50000 miles just like mine he paid 68 k that's more than I paid for mine and it was new

snowstorm

I installed the Ford 5 th wheel goose neck hitch in mine. I had the puck style 5 th wheel from my last truck. I do get a pretty good discount from Ford . It was the cheapest and best way to go. It's very well built

snowstorm

I would much rather have a 6.0 than a 7.3 and I have owned several. You will get tired of the noise. Don't even look at a 6.4 never had one never would..go a little newer and buy a 6.7 depending on the state the emissions warranty was extended to 11 years 120000 miles. Or if some parts fell off even better if you know what I mean.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Sedgehammer on June 06, 2021, 02:27:17 PM
Quote from: firefighter ontheside on June 06, 2021, 10:42:03 AM

Yup. she's onboard. issue is my back and left leg. pain so bad makes me want to puke at times. riding in a car is the hardest thing for me to do. some days it's ok, others i want to claw myself out of the seat. The other issue is with all the pain medicine I'm on I have to have constant caffeine to keep me alert and the moment i set down my body wants to sleep. there are times where my head almost hits the desk where i'm typing a post. if i', moving it's ok

we were going to get a 5th wheel toy hauler, but have decided to get a motorhome. i can drive through the cities and she can drive in the countryside. i can laydown if need be then

@Southside Transmission is fine to about 600 hp. it's the heavy duty one

@btulloh I have a mechanic friend that wood do most of the work as long as not an engine rebuild. good idea on the LS3.....

@red yes, more torque

@alan gage a drop in is about 8k. long block basic about 2.5k

@mike_belben talked about that the other day. been up since 2 this mornin looking at engine prices i forgot about that. good idea, but wood buy a long block
I'm the same way. I'm moving my back feels 100% fine. If I sit for more than a hour it starts to pain me. Lately when I wake up in the night it's been so bad I can't stand on my left leg without yelling in pain, still hurts in the morning, pains gone by the time
My work boots are on. Strange.
I bulged a disc 7 years ago had pain badly for the first year then started to subside, in that time I have been strict on my lifting habits, I never arc or put my back in jeopardy anymore. All in the knees and legs. I can't stand watching the average joe lift something heavy, I can just see the damage being done, they won't listen though so I don't bother. Learn after you hurt it I guess ??? 
A1

snobdds

My dad is a contractor and back in 2005, he ordered 10 6.0 ford Diesels.  Every winter when the weather turned and the guys needed work, they spent a week doing fluid maintenance on their trucks.  We only had minor problems with a few stand pipes and dummy plugs on the High Pressure Oil System.  

After seeing this and knowing the reputation of the 6.0, I did some investigating.  It seems the root cause for all the problems in the 6.0 was the coolant. Ford changed the coolant from ELC to their Gold brand.  This coolant was good, it's just the silicates fell out of suspension after enough heat cycles.  This then plugged up the oil cooler, which didn't allow coolant to the EGR cooler, which then over pressurized the cooling system and blew head gaskets. 

Since my dad's trucks were getting yearly coolant changes, none of these problems came up.  He still considers those 6.0 the best engine he's ever had in fleet trucks. 

In fact, he was so impressed with the 6.0, he bought himself one.  He still drives it up to the cabin in the summer.  It still gets fluid maintenance every winter and it still runs well.  Moral of the story, keep up on maintenance and any truck will be good.  And in diesels, over change the coolant, no matter what brand.  

chevytaHOE5674

I have a soft spot for 7.3 trucks. Currently have two and id buy another if it came along.

Have a 99 ext cab with 256k miles with a zf6 behind it. Paid 3500 bucks lots of years ago so it doesn't owe me a dime. Spends 99% of its life with a snowplow on it or a 32' GN stacked with equipment or hay. Compared to today's diesels its a dog but other than brakes I've done nothing to the truck and I'd drive across country tmrw without hesitation. 

Picked up a 2 owner 2000 crew cab 7.3/auto with 104k miles last winter with no rust. Truck is as clean as new. It's the family go getter when we need to haul stuff in comfort. Paid 14k for it which seemed high at the time, but watching the market is very reasonable for the low miles and clean body. I've had 2 offers over 20k in the last 2 weeks. 

mike_belben

I wont be buying any more complete running trucks at these after covid prices.  For what theyre asking it better come with road frontage, a culvert and utilities already in.   

Its just the principle.  I will just keep fixing cheap old stuff and not rush to work every morning with the joneses. 
Praise The Lord

Southside

Quote from: snowstorm on June 08, 2021, 04:36:49 PMNow his is a 19 50000 miles just like mine he paid 68 k

I paid $10K more than that for a 1,700 square foot house, two story garage, barn, and 30 acres of land in Corinna back in '99.  Insane....
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Snobdds, that is an interesting take on the 6.0 I hadn't heard before.

farmfromkansas

Last auction I went to had a nice, clean low mileage 4 door 3/4 ton Ford 6.0, which did not sell for a lot of money.  Everybody has heard the horror stories about the 6.0.

snobdds

Quote from: barbender on June 09, 2021, 12:48:43 AM
Snobdds, that is an interesting take on the 6.0 I hadn't heard before.
It's really a fantastic motor if kept up.  The bed plate on that thing is huge, I have never seen a bottom end failure on those. 
It was Ford's first electronically controlled diesel motor, and it wasn't designed in house.  The mechanics at first had no idea how to repair them, they were throwing blind at a dart board.  Thankfully Ford sold a ton of 6.0's and people soon figured them out.  There is no problem that not does not have an OEM solution today. 

snowstorm

The 6.0 was not the first electrionic diesel from Ford the 7.3  was and they were all international motors until the 6.7 came out in 2011. Most of the head gasket issues with the 6.0 are from leaking egr coolers they don't like burning coolant

snobdds

Quote from: snowstorm on June 09, 2021, 12:05:24 PM
The 6.0 was not the first electrionic diesel from Ford the 7.3  was and they were all international motors until the 6.7 came out in 2011. Most of the head gasket issues with the 6.0 are from leaking egr coolers they don't like burning coolant
The 6.0 was the first electronic diesel in the contemporary sense.  The 7.3 could never have a turner plugged into an ODBII port and change injector duration at the flip of a switch, nor did codes get stored in the modern naming convention like today.  
What caused EGR coolers to leak, or more correctly, blow? 

snowstorm

If the 7.3 power stroke was not electronic then why did a scan tool work on it. That fuel system was a joint venture between cat and in. I never google stuff like this if I don't know it I don't type it

Sedgehammer

Have 2, 6.0 on hold. One comes home tonight....... Both head studded. EGR delete. One has new injectors for sure. Other most likely, but not sure....... which one it is depends on truck #1..... truck #2 is a done deal if I can't close on truck #1....... cone_1

JBlain

I have been running 7.3s for about 15 years.  First was an 1997 with the zf5.  Great dependable truck.  Had kids and bought a 2001 auto crew with 8ft bed and low miles.   It has been bullet proof and still running strong at 234k miles.  I just can't justify the cost of new ones even though they ride like luxury cars and have even more torque.   
Josh

Sedgehammer

The more I looked at used diesels and the continued theme of "I'm selling it due to I can no longer afford to fix it". Worst was the Fords, then there were a fair number of GM's also. No dodges came up in my search parameters, but they have some issues also. Based on that we bought a 8.1. I know, I know we won't be passing a lot of gas stations, but I use it about once a week and tow maybe once a month that this truck wood be needed vs my suburban. There are a few things I think i can do to 'help' with the mpg, but nothing dramatic for sure

coalsmok

I had the pleasure of driving one of the 8.1 chevys. Fully loaded tool bed cruising up the road at 80 with plenty of pedal left. Only truck I ever seen that could break motor mounts on command. Load the truck load a trailer and start up a steep lease road in 4l. When the going got hard it wasn't unusual to hear the fan hit the fan shroud. 
 I was really sad when it got sold without me knowing. Would have gladly brought it home for the price it went for. 

Sedgehammer

I'm sending one of my guys up to get it tomorrow, so I guess we'll see. Everything I've read is a plus besides mpg. I did find a set of stainless headers , so that will help some. I see that make a supercharger for it also. 635 ft lbs of torque. That will need a rebuild, as the factory pistons will only take 5 psi. The max on that rebuild 8 psi. That will maybe be a possibility next year. Maybe

Sedgehammer

Here she is. Wife said it gets a lift and 20's as soon as she arrives.....

Southside

Well that will help the fuel mileage.  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

Like I said
I had a 8.1 it was a beast and pulled hard.
The new ford gas 7.3 is getting factory twin turbos next year.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

snobdds

Quote from: Bruno of NH on June 16, 2021, 05:50:44 AM
Like I said
I had a 8.1 it was a beast and pulled hard.
The new ford gas 7.3 is getting factory twin turbos next year.
A twin turbo 7.3 from the factory. OMG, take my money. 
This might be the only way I get out of the diesel for heavy hauling. 

Skip

I ordered a 21, 2-3 months go. Dealership said it has been converted to a 22  ::) ,said I might get it by fall . I ordered the 7.3 gasser if it comes with twins, it just might be worth the wait  ;D .

Bruno of NH

If I won the lottery 
I would get a f250 2wd with 7.3 twin turbos lower it , cat backs, chip it and 60's all around.
And do some smoke shows around town  :D :D

reride82

Does it have an Allison transmission behind it? My dad has an 04 with 55-60K miles on it I believe. It pulls like a freight train, but mileage was terrible thus the low miles. Now he has a 6.7 Powerstroke so it mostly sits. He won't sell it, which is aggravating :D

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Bruno of NH

I had an Allison in mine it pulled hard .
5 to 6 miles a gallon at most.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Bruno of NH on June 17, 2021, 07:27:28 AM
If I won the lottery
I would get a f250 2wd with 7.3 twin turbos lower it , cat backs, chip it and 60's all around.
And do some smoke shows around town  :D :D
The "brodozer" lol 
A1

mike_belben

Quote from: Bruno of NH on June 17, 2021, 05:41:16 PM
That is pitiful.  Old semis fully loaded get that in the mountains. Theres no excuse for a pickup to be that bad. 

My 12v dually got 11 with a bad convertor!
Praise The Lord

Sedgehammer

Has Allison 
12 mpg empty 
7-8 mpg loaded

The 16 duramax gets 9.5 loaded with same load

I'll take the gasser. Small fuel tank. That sucks

On the 7.3 gas from ford w/ twins. No need for it to have twins. The extremely small advant isn't worth the extra costs in my opine. A motor that small and with that low of boost psi, nope

barbender

I wouldn't be surprused if the twin turbo setup has more to do with emissions than power.

Bruno of NH

Quote from: mike_belben on June 21, 2021, 08:53:21 AM
That is pitiful.  Old semis fully loaded get that in the mountains. Theres no excuse for a pickup to be that bad.

I was jobing around a lot when I had that truck.
24' job trailer on the back pulling lots of hills in NH and Vt

Sedgehammer

Quote from: barbender on July 02, 2021, 02:12:09 PM
I wouldn't be surprused if the twin turbo setup has more to do with emissions than power.
Yeah maybe, but hard to see where 2 help in any noticeable way, but they wood know that if that was the case

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Bruno of NH on July 02, 2021, 05:04:47 PM
Quote from: mike_belben on June 21, 2021, 08:53:21 AM

I was jobing around a lot when I had that truck.
24' job trailer on the back pulling lots of hills in NH and Vt
and how much better does a diesel get pulling same load. Like I said earlier, we get about 2 mpg lower pulling same load. If that holds or anywhere near that, again proves that the diesel isn't worth the extra costs

chevytaHOE5674

When you say loaded what does that mean? 20k lbs? 5k lbs?

Your loaded diesel mpg seems low. Guy hauls a lot of hay for me with 21k lbs of bales on a 9?k lbs trailer and averages 13.5.

I hauled almost 17k lbs of pipe and trailer behind my old 7.3 2 weeks ago and averaged 16.3 over a 250 mile trip.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on July 02, 2021, 07:04:00 PM
When you say loaded what does that mean? 20k lbs? 5k lbs?

Your loaded diesel mpg seems low. Guy hauls a lot of hay for me with 21k lbs of bales on a 9?k lbs trailer and averages 13.5.

I hauled almost 17k lbs of pipe and trailer behind my old 7.3 2 weeks ago and averaged 16.3 over a 250 mile trip.

The diesel doesn't even know its back there. Amazing power. On the mileage. I didn't manually check it. I was going by the computer. The gas we manually checked

I guess it could be off, but doubt that much

Sedgehammer

I am going to put a set of stainless headers, that'll help a bit also

I do see they make a blower setup for it. $7,100. Not too bad. It does take new pistons though if you want over 5 psi. I'll maybe do that next year

Bruno of NH

The diesel engines aren't worth the extra for me.
I know most won't agree with me.
If I was pulling load cross country I would consider it.

barbender

The mileage computers are about as accurate as the weatherman, in my experience 

Cat ACERT diesel engines run twin turbos and it has something to do with emissions. 

Sedgehammer

Just got back from Georgia with this load. 11 mpg w/ trailer empty average and 8 loaded. Total load was just under 18k. Set cruise at 75 and it barely wavered no matter the hill

Did add a 50 gallon transfer tank though. Could save $0.20 per gallon on a fill up by using the gas app

farmfromkansas

My old F-450 with the v-10 averages about 12 empty, but I can't go as fast with the 488 rear gear.  Just don't want to scream the engine.  Pulling the trailer in 5th gear, I run about 55. It is the 6 speed manual, 6th is OD.

Sedgehammer

I think mine is a 3.83. with those 4.88s, you can prolly pull a house

farmfromkansas

I really enjoy having the F-450, pulls the cow trailer easy, and i can spray grass with a skid sprayer mounted on the flat bed, with 300 gallons, probably could switch to a 500 gallon, but the one I have works well, also pull the hay trailer with 10 round bales, and the skidsteer trailer with the skidsteer and a couple attachments.  My 3/4 ton truck is just too light to handle the jobs the heavier truck handles easily, and the gas mileage is similar.

barbender

That's good mileage, Sedge. My 03 Dodge Cummins 3500 is only pulling around 10mpg pulling our camper. The camper is probably around 10K loaded. I have 4:11 gears and a 6 speed manual, it pulls great but the mileage is a little brutal on the wallet. I think I paid $3.59 a gallon today.

Sedgehammer

@barbender I was a little surprised to be honest. I was thinking empty with that trailer we'd be in the 9 and 5-6 loaded comin back. I will ruin it some here in a few weeks. It's getting a 3" body lift and 285/65r20 tires and new aluminum wheels. Truck just looks silly with 16" tires/wheels. Plus I need to replace those that are on it. Just prior to leaving found one of them that was cracking, so used it as a spare and put the spare on it. I do intend to put headers and dual exhaust in the coming months. That will really wake her up and I should get more mpg's back then it costs with the wider/bigger rubber

Sedgehammer

Did 2 dirt loads just over 40k today.  It didn't want anymore

barbender

I've been pulling our 5th wheel camper that is in the area of 10K all loaded up, all over out west. Lots of switchbacks, 10% grades, and mountain passes. The '03 Dodge Cummins has 4:10 gears and a 6 speed manual. It pulls awesome, it actually feels good to pull something up a grade with it!😁 Mileage is only so-so, though. A pretty steady 10 mpg. The best I got was 12.5 one day, which was ironically the day with the most hard pulling (coming out of Yellowstone through the Lamar Valley and the Northeast entrance, up to the Beartooth and then over to Cody, Wy). I think the reason is that with the low gears, whenever you're going over 60 mph, mileage drops off quickly due to the high rpms. 

Thank You Sponsors!