iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying cover

Started by DixieReb31, June 14, 2021, 09:50:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DixieReb31

What, other than tin, do you use to cover your air drying stacks?
WM LT35HD, John Deere 2040, John Deere 4044 w/FEL, Grapple, forks.

DixieReb31

Does anyone use tarps?

doc henderson

I have used plywood painted or covered with plastic.  I have use gray tarps, pulled up on the edges, and down for a hard rain.  I strap my piles and actually run a few screws into the strapping boards.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Tarps are not a good idea. If it's pine I will throw some dog boards on the top of the stack, keeps the beating sun off and enough of the rain
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

I recommend metal roofing but these got black "visqueen".  Notice the dunnage that was being laid across the whacks to separate the plastic from the lumber and allow air flow.  Using clear plastic would create a greenhouse and I can only imagine what would grow underneath.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

D6c

I use pole barn siding screwed to 2x4s that overhang the stack a foot or so and weigh it down with block or old tractor tires.  I don't think anything else would stay on on the wind I get, and have had them blow off anyway.

DixieReb31

Thanks for the replies.  I've run out of tin and with the current prices for new tin I prefer not to buy tin.  But around here 1/2" OSB is $47 a sheet!  Prices for building materials has got out of hand!  Someone is getting rich!

Larry

Got chickens there?  Around here they seem to tear down the old houses every few years and sometimes the used tin is cheap.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!