iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tools for Timber Framing: Acquisition Questions

Started by Malfestus, September 05, 2021, 04:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malfestus

Hello!

I am trying to keep my eyes open for solid options for tools for timber framing.  Im in the market for a 1 1/2" framing chisel but it seems they are a hot commodity in the antique (my preference) market.

Can anyone tell me any deal breaker aspects that make a chisel a timber frame chisel, or not?

For example, I found a well priced 1 1/2" HERRING & SONS Tang Firmer Chisel.  Is there any reason I should not go after this?

Thanks in advanced!
Let the Sufferfest ensue.

Don P

If you're doing it right you'll drive the tang up through the handle, splitting it along the way. That is to say, the handle takes a beating. You need a beefy socketed handle chisel.

Malfestus

flyingparks

Malfestus

Its a good question @flyingparks 

I consider it well priced because its from a site i generally order the user tools (as opposed to collector tools which on this site can range in the thousands to tens of thousands) from.  Most larger chisels that are of user category here generally run in the 100-200 range.  It looks like a solid carpenters chisel, but not sure of how well it would translate to timber framing.  
This particular tool is 50 dollars for the following description.:

1 1/2 x 12 1/2 HERRING & SONS Tang Firmer Chisel
https://www.jimbodetools.com/collections/whats-new/products/1-1-2-x-12-1-2-herring-sons-tang-firmer-chisel-99628

swmn

Socket chisles only for me.  

One thing you can do is look Barr tools website.  If you can get a new Barr cheaper than whatever antique is singing a siren song, pass.  If you end up buying a Barr whatever and don't like it, it will have very very good resale value when you upgrade.

Another thing you could do is bring in a piece of 8x8 timber, even just an 8 footer and hack on it over the winter.  Might be a few weeks yet for you, the geese have been flying south from here for a few weeks now and the leaves are turning.

Make your own mallets, it is not hard.

I have gotten some good prices from here actually, there is a sticky down in I think the "for sale" section with timber framing tools in it.  Reputable seller, would buy again.

Ljohnsaw

There is a list of tools that @Jim_Rogers has for sale somewhere on the FF.  That's where I got one of my boring machines.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

flyingparks

Looks like a cool chisel, but it might be a little too short IMHO. The chisel is the last thing you want to skimp on. There are a ton out there. I have used a few different ones over the years and Barr chisels feel the best length wise and weight wise. They're solid. Not to  say you can't find a good deal on a good used chisel. If I were to get one I would check out Jim Roger's Tool Sale. I have purchased a few tools from Jim and I have not been disappointed. 

Malfestus

Oh thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions!!

I had no clue about Jim Roger's tools but am checking them out right now!   And thanks for everyones suggestions on Barr chisels.

I think ill skip on the one i linked because it just doesnt seem to be make for a great framing chisel.  

Thanks again everyone!!

Thank You Sponsors!