iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Zero turns mowing wet grass?

Started by gspren, September 11, 2021, 02:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zippski

Especially if you can find an affordable used one, you simply cannot go wrong with Kubota ZD1211 zero turn.  I have had one for several years and it consistently mows 5 acres of farm and residence lawns on a weekly basis in any condition (wet or dry) without any problems.

The best thing I ever did was invest in a 60" rear discharge commercial deck with mulching blades  Bullet proof and soooo much easier to mow in any direction without building up grass windrows or clumping.  Actually, the rear discharge deck is imperative for me because of the incredibly steep hills I mow with the machine limits travel directions.  Many Saturdays I attract quite a crowd of onlookers on the road looking upward while I mountain-goat the machine up and down the super steeps I have to mow every week.  (Note: the ups are usually ok, but on the downs, I can be travelling pretty darn fast at the bottom even with both drive wheels running in full reverse :D  I am not sure how steep I could actually mow but my comfort zone has expanded every year along with the mowed acreage of my domain.

Anyway, if you can find a way to swallow the entry fee, not only do you have a 15-20 year mower, you have one with superior trade value.

Mowers - Zero-Turn Mowers - ZD1211-3-60 | Kubota (kubotausa.com)

Leigh
zippski

Leigh
zippski

YellowHammer

I agree, we got our especially for mowing slopes, but we use it for everything we don't bush hog.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Tom King

The reason I bought that Cub Cadet, with the steerable front wheels was because of mowing slopes.  

I've pulled regular zero-turns out of the lake.  For those that don't know, the front wheels on a regular zero-turn just caster.  If the back wheels start sliding, the front wheels just say, "okay, we're going that way".

With the steerable front wheels, if the back wheels slide a little bit, the front wheels are sort of self-correcting, and it will just go up the hill at a slight angle.

I don't really have any super steep hills, but that picture of the shoreline was the first time it had ever been cut with anything but a string trimmer.  I did pull a regular zero-turn off the rip-rap before, that had slid sideways because the operator thought he could make it.

The rear end is a regular zero-turn, with the largest size Parker hydraulic drive units, and 26" tall tires. They are tied to the steering system for the front wheels.  You can drive right straight up to something, turn the front wheels 90 degrees, and the rear wheels will counterrotate, just like if you were using regular sticks, not touching what you just drove straight up to.

The first day I brought it home, I drove it the mile to the nearest store to fill it up.  They have a fairly steep hill on the road front.  Not only did it hold the hill fine, but at the end of the pass, I just did a zero turn, and came back the other way.  When I got to the other end, I turned, and went straight up the hill. That was with the turf tire that came on it.  It didn't feel like it came close to slipping on that hill in the picture, but that was the steepest I know of, around here.

They make one with dual rear wheels, but I drive a dually, and figured I'd try the single rear wheels first.   I thought I'd add the other wheels if I needed them, but so far, don't see any need even for more grippy tires, than the turf tires.

In that waterfront picture with the rock, I drove it down onto the rock-used the hand brake, turned around, and cleaned off the side of the slope around that rock.

sawguy21

I learned my limits with a Kubota BX2670, a conventional tractor, on slopes. Ran into the fence which held, it would have been ugly had it not
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Spike60

Yup, what's at the bottom of a hill is more important than how steep it is. If it softly levels out, then an unplanned ride isn't a big deal. But a serious drop off or going for a swim can be life threatening.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!