iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Teeth/Shanks

Started by handhewn, September 16, 2021, 07:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handhewn

I'm finally getting ready to run the 60" circle saw I walked away from 35+ yrs. ago and which is now set up at my place. Pretty much done fixing except chip blower for 3 blade edger. They want $250 (before tax) for the v-belt pulley I need. I have a nice lathe, I'll make it myself before I pay that much.
    Anyway, I need some new teeth/shanks before I start sawing. My edger shanks say Simonds F-10. The 60" circle saw shanks say Atkin D-7. I did notice that the root of the tooth (where it locks into the shank) look identical and switchable.
    I looked on the Menominee site but failed to find either the Atkin D-7 or Simonds F-10. Any suggestions?

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

handhewn

Got in today too late to call them. Will call them first thing in the AM. I'm just a little nervous that I might have one of those saws you can't get teeth for anymore.

Ron Wenrich

If I recall, my teeth box had BFD on the end, which meant it fit the B, F & D pattern saws.  I had used both a B and a F pattern saw, so you should be able to still get the D shanks. 

The Atkins and Simonds are the makers of the shank.  The 7 and 10 are the gauge.  I don't recognize the Atkins name.  Just about everything is Simonds these days.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

handhewn

It turns out that I can get the teeth and shanks for the edger but I can only get the teeth for the 60" saw. Phoned around and couldn't find the shanks. Found one friend (also has circle saw) who had spare teeth. Found another friend in town who has a 60" circle saw hung as entry sign. It has the original shanks and teeth and they match mine. Now I got to talk him out of  six (and maybe a few extras) shanks and I'm ready to saw.

Ventryjr

Upload some pictures of your setup!
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

moodnacreek

I hope changing those shanks doesn't mess up your saw tension.

handhewn

Moodnacreek, I was wondering the same thing so I inserted them spaced  out evenly throughout the circumference. I put two half rotten soft yellow pine logs up to saw first as a test run for both main saw and edger saws. I'll be ready to run it by mon/tues if all goes well. I should be able to find the last six blade shanks for the edger blades by then.

moodnacreek

Quote from: handhewn on September 19, 2021, 11:32:56 AM
Moodnacreek, I was wondering the same thing so I inserted them spaced  out evenly throughout the circumference. I put two half rotten soft yellow pine logs up to saw first as a test run for both main saw and edger saws. I'll be ready to run it by mon/tues if all goes well. I should be able to find the last six blade shanks for the edger blades by theMM
Most of the time you get away with it and sometimes it improves the saw but is is still risky. I bet there are 6 and 7 ga. D shanks out there, in the west that is. Then you have the problem of needing standard or oversize. Any how shanks can last a long time and even be hammered and filed. Hope your big saw runs nice and flat.

Thank You Sponsors!