iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Woodwright in review

Started by Brad_S., April 23, 2005, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_S.

In another thread I mentioned I was supplying Roy Underhill with a log to hew at a weekend workshop. Many requested a followup post, so consider it done.

I've meet people I admire only to find they are complete #@*# in real life, but Roy is the real deal, exactly as you see him on TV. No question was too inane, no request for time or autographs was denied anyone and he was sincerely thankful for courtesys extended to him.

There was a dinner Friday night to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Rochester Woodworkers Society, after which Roy was the keynote speaker. He started off reminiscent of Carrot Top, pulling woodworking tools out of his bag and coming up with jokes/stories about them. He then broke into some stories with Dennis Miller like references to woodworking gurus and TV production with a frentic delivery that would make Robin Williams proud. I think many references went over the heads of some in the crowd, he was too hip for the room! Through out the evening, many mentions were made of "measured drawrings are available", that being one of several pokes at Nahm. Perhaps the most graphic poke was at the Sat. workshop where he showed us a bumpersticker a fan had made for him. It showed Calvin of Calvin and Hobbs in his bad boy pose wetting on the New Yankee Workshop logo.
He wound up the evening by pulling his hosts son (10) on stage and doing a takeoff on Professor Harold Hill's monologue about trouble, subbing ww for the band.

Today's workshop was held at Genessee Country Village, a 19th century village.
Here's Roy and I on the log I supplied. I have no idea who the lady in the back is or why she's there. ::)

Here he's making the notch cuts with an axe...

....and then showing how easy it is to remove large chunks. Yes, that's sweat on his face. He was working up a storm!

He followed up with the broad axe and finished with an adze.

He next move to the shaving horse for a demo on draw knives and spoke shaves.

Then down to the workbench for demonstrations.

After lunch was spent in some of the museum buildings where he used a wheel lathe, spring pole lathe (pictured) and a treadle lathe. Too crowded for me so only one shot.

Much to my dismay, he let attendees try their hand at adzing, but I was able to keep a section of the log virgin and had him sign it. Took it back to the mill and cut off a 3" thick flitch that I'll dry and hang on my wall! ;D

Roy is a hugely entertaining and genuine person. Should you ever get an opportunity to see him, by all means do it!
smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

UNCLEBUCK

That looks like a great time Brad  ! I been watching Roy for about 20 years on pbs . Thanks for the pics and telling about your trip , that is really awesome .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

UNCLEBUCK

That is so cool I had to read this twice ! Your sittin next to Roy !   8)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

sprucebunny

Great review, Brad. Looks like a fun weekend ;D

I've watched the show a few times but don't get the channel anymore....
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Paschale

Looks like a great trip!  The local woodworking store, Johnson's Workbench has had Scott Phillips up here several times, from the American Woodshop show.  He's another great guy, really personable and easy going.  I think if you work with wood long enough, it automatically mellows you out!
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Dan_Shade

they took all the woodworking stuff off of the PBS stations in my area, it's a real bummer.  I remember watching him as a kid being amazed by what he did.  I always liked when he cut himself  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Norm

Great report Brad, we don't get Roy on PBS here anymore either. Always fun to see him when we did, would of loved to had the band aid concession. :D

tnlogger

Brad looks like you had way to much fun. ;D great review and pics.
gene

TN_man

Brad,
Thanks for the review. That is really cool and I am sure it is an experience you will never forget.
Does Roy have a website that tells where he will be so we can try to get to see him?
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

RavioliKid

Wow! I'm impressed! Roy Underhill has always been a hero of mine. You lucky dog, you!

8)
RavioliKid

Gunny

Brad:

Must have been quite the thrill to meet Roy.  There aren't many of us left working with mallets and chisels, drawknives and "shin-hoes".  All the "handmade" Amish furniture shops in this area have more power tools running off those Honda gas engines that the Grand Rapids Steelcase plant! 

I try to keep my approach to simple sweat-and-elbow grease-powered hand tools but must admit that using my hand to guide a belt-sander these days is lots more fun sometimes than spending a week doing it with my old sanding blocks.

Thanks much for your post.  I just finished re-reading a couple of Roy's books.  To think that I actually did all that and lived (for real) like that just a few decades ago!  What a great life it was--and is.

Kirk_Allen

That was great.  Thanks for sharing.

We still get his show on Dish on the PBS channel but now that you mention it, havent seen it for a few months.  Hope it has not been removed.

OneWithWood

Great post, Brad.  Thanks for sharing  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!