iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Klein moisture meter

Started by Stevenjohn21, October 10, 2022, 10:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevenjohn21

My Klein moisture meter is reading 1 month old air dried  4/4 cherry at 6.2 which would be awesome if that were true. There are 3 settings on it, hardwood, softwood & drywall which of course I'm putting it on "hardwood".

Do I just have a lemon or is there a way to calibrate it? The meter is only a couple of months old with a new battery and it's always read unbelievable numbers. The only time I believe it is when the wood comes right off the mill and the meter beeps indicating the wood is over 35%

Unless there is a way to calibrate/fix it then I'll be looking to purchase another meter, any recommendations? 

rusticretreater

Based on your statement that there is a drywall setting, this indicates a pin-less moisture meter.  If so, certainly not adequate for your purpose.  This tool is for homeowners to find leaks and rot.

The instructions for a Klein ET140 Pinless meter say that it can scan up to 3/4" deep.  I think that it can't penetrate hardwood enough for a good reading.  You should be pulling samples from your stacks and cutting them open to get core readings anyway.

Note at the bottom of this page that the forum software automagically provides links to similar topics in the forum as the same topics come up time and again.  You should find many recommendations from users with personal experience.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Thank You Sponsors!