iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First couple of days Milling

Started by dworcesteronw, November 28, 2022, 02:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dworcesteronw

I had a couple of days to play with the new sawmill this last week.  Ended slabbing up enough cottonwood for all the 2 x 4's and about 1/3 of the 2 x 6's for a 15' x 36' cabin I am planning on building this summer. I also slabbed up a Honey Locust and Cedar just to see what it looked like. My father who just turned 91 on November 21st is having a great time doing this, he said he wants to figure out how to live another 20 years so he can keep playing with the sawmill.

SawyerTed

Great!  Y'all have it figured out, make it fun.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Patrick NC

If it hasn't already happened,  go ahead and try to saw off a log rest or clamp and get that out of the way early!🤣
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Patrick NC

Make sure it's with a brand new blade or it doesn't count!
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

thecfarm

My Father would have loved my mill.
We looked at the mill I bought many times at fairs.
He never saw my dream come true.  :(
Enjoy your Father.  ;D
Enjoy you mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

Your Dad looks great, like he's still ready for work👍👍
Too many irons in the fire

GAB

Quote from: Patrick NC on November 28, 2022, 05:09:44 PM
Make sure it's with a brand new blade or it doesn't count!
Sorry, but I DO NOT AGREE with you.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Old Greenhorn

GAB is right, any blade that still has good life in it will do. :D

Your Dad...and his joy... are just super, I envy you that experience. My Dad would have had a ball with the milling stuff, but I got into this 2 years after he passed. Something I really miss him being part of. Treasure this time.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

Don't forget to be sure and leave a toeboard up and saw some long, long wedges. When you get done with that, roll a big log across the mill the the side supports lowered just for fun. (I'm sure glad I've never done anything like that). ::) :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

You also need to reverse the saw with the blade still turning in the cut and with it not quite high enough to clear the board you just cut.  Oh - and be sure to find a tree that had a ceramic fence insulator driven into it 45 years ago - such fun!!!   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

boonesyard

You dad looks absolutely fantastic, every day is priceless with him. My 87 yr old dad and I are having the time of our lives with this sawmill thing, enjoy!!

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Gere Flewelling

I also must chime in on how good your dad's look working with you guys.  I am envious as my dad loved making things out of wood.  Not really a fine woodworker building fine furniture, but he could make some really nice things from what he could scrounge and repurpose. As an old country preacher, he never could afford much for power equipment and always amazed me at his skill with a handsaw, hand plane, and an old hand drill.   He passed long before I was able to purchase a mill and other power equipment to share with him.  Rarely do I pull a beautiful board off my mill that I don't think to myself how excited Dad would have been to have something of that quality to build something out of.  A thousand board feet of boards in a stack were more valuable to him than a wheelbarrow full of cash.
Thanks for the memories and post more pictures of spending time with your Dads around you mills.  GF
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Bostonstrong

"Men invent new ideals because they dare not attempt old ideals. They look forward with enthusiasm, because they are afraid to look back."
G.K. Chesterton

Magicman

Congratulations to both you and your Dad !!  I am envious, but in a good way.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

Just in case you need some inspiration here is how I did it back in early 2016...
https://youtu.be/R9xbDzDl6Ms
lol

and more recently (it takes more experience to get this right)
https://youtu.be/Fpk9KTMlrjM

Good luck! lol
PS your dad us an inspiration!  I hope I am that spry in my 90s!!!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Crossroads

Fun times, take lots of pictures 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

KenMac

Quote from: Magicman on November 29, 2022, 05:35:40 PM
Congratulations to both you and your Dad !!  I am envious, but in a good way.  8)
Amen MM!! I wish my Dad could see and touch my mill and tractor. I say touch because I think he just might be able to look down and see them.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Bruno of NH

I wish my Dad could have seen the mill business I have built.
Glad you can enjoy sawing with your Dad.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!