A debarked AND sawn in half rock.
Wow, that thing was frozen so tight!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Bruno of NH

I will saw down to -20°
After that I done 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Resonator

Thanks for the good replies! smiley_thumbsup 

This time of year I try to run errands and do inside work in the morning, noon until 4PM is about the best sawing time with "livable" temperatures. Those really cold days by the time you start all the engines and warm them up, it may not be worth it for the fuel burned and extra work involved. I've survived both extremes, driving truck I had a bunk heater go out near the Canadian border in winter one year, I also had to pick up a load on the Texas - Mexico border when it was still 95° at night.

Hearing turbo 7's mentioned a lot, may try one and see if there's a difference. Sharp blades too, sounds like frozen dulls faster and plan more changes.

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Andries

Woodmizer used to offer a 'variety pack' of bands. I'm not sure if WM still offers that. The common hook angles were in there, so that a sawyer could test run a variety of tooth angles under their very own particular set of conditions.
I settled on 7° double hards for the first eight years of winter milling of Western Red Cedar on an LT30.
I'm now milling hardwoods with 4° bands on a LT40.
There are so many variables involved in milling, and only so many recommendations might apply to your own setup. Georgia cold is not Manitoba cold, y'know? 😁
Barbender mentioned a band specifically made for frozen wood milling, called Vertex or Vortex, which Bruno uses. That might be worth a look too.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Resonator

That's what I'd like to know, how those bands specifically made for frozen wood compare in cutting quality to a "regular" blade. And if they are resharpenable (special tooth profile). I know Bruno has mentioned that those type have made a big difference in winter sawing.

moodnacreek

The best lumber is cut in late fall and winter, that is from trees felled those seasons also. This green lumber stickered and roofed over, held flat and air drying very slow will not often split, cup or stain. By the time warm weather arrives the moisture content will be too low for any of this degrade. Blue pine stain or oak face check will  not  happen either. If you have to stop sawing because of freezing logs you could be getting too close to spring.

Southside

And here I thought this thread was going to be about a case of beer that had been left outside overnight.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Andries

SS: that would be in the "did something numb' thread. (Terrifictimbers quip) 😋
Mostly switch to high test when the thermo-meter gets all negative on us.

Moodna: this deadstacked oak will not stain, cup, mould or twist for the next three months. That's the power of -33° 😂
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Southside

That's because it's glued back together.  :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Haha, if you want to sticker and stack right away up here, do not dead stack between November and March😊
Too many irons in the fire

Resonator

QuoteAnd here I thought this thread was going to be about a case of beer that had been left outside overnight.  
I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that reference. (In Nashville they call that using a "hook" to get the audiences attention.) ;D smiley_guitarist

Side note I used to deliver food supplies (not the beer :D) years ago to bars and supper clubs. They said the alcohol in beer changes it's freezing point, so it will get "slushy" before it actually freezes.smiley_beertoast

And to stay on topic, I cut down some more tree's and plan on sawing lumber. At least the trails in the woods aren't muddy this time of year. cut_tree

chet

And if ya happen ta catch yur beer just before da freeze, it'll turn ta mush da second ya pop da top.  Then it's drink fast as da remaining alcohol is blowin' out da hole.  :D

I'm pulling some logs out too. Normally this time of year we have way too much snow to even think about it with a small farm tractor. With not much forecasted I might get a couple more weeks of skidding.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Andries

Google Translate wouldn't be able to handle that Chet. 😉 
After reading a few times, I get it. 
I've seen that too . . when the beers just about to freeze and you pop the tab, it fizzes up as beer mush. As beatniks (or Hipsters) used to say: cool man! 
The loss of alcohol isn't much of a problem that can't be fixed with another slushy beer.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

Our forecast is for -46° tonight.
No milling or skidding for this guy. A rum maybe and some tunes in the shop. The wheelbarrow full is just to keep the chill off during this slight cold snap. 😋
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

terrifictimbersllc

Do you actually have to sit right in front of the stove, or is the chair extra firewood? :D  
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Andries

Heavy wood furniture, it's like having a spare tire under the truck!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Southside

I remember those days. Too cold to sled even. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Yep, but when I was younger and much dumber, -30 F was pretty fun on my MXZ 583. The thing was jetted WAY too rich, like if I had it idling in a group of sleds you couldn't handle it as the exhaust would burn your eyes. But at -30 it was spot on and that thing came to life! It was actually kind of scary to ride😬 

I had a '97 583, and then I got a new '98 MXZx 440. Nothing could keep up with those 440's up to about 60 mph. The thing was a blast if you were taking chances all the time. Not so much if you were trail riding, it would beat you to death! About where that 440 dropped off, the 583 woke up. You could pin the 440 to the bar for a long time, and 98mph was about all it would hit on the speedo. With the 583 you could be going 90mph and pin it, and it still accelerated hard. I was afraid to look down at the speedo😬
Too many irons in the fire

Bruno of NH

Yes 
When I snowmobiled the cold never bothered me.
The colder the better you would have the trails to yourself. 
As far as blades go , I can't say enough about the notched tooth blade or a low hook angle in 3/4 tooth spacing. 
I have to saw in the winter or I wouldn't make it in the sawmill business. 
The notch tooth blade keeps me going when the turbo 7's wont.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Southside

My last sled was a Mach 1 with the 617. It was set up for 0°F and when the snow was tanky she would lift the skis off the ground if you put it to the bar. Of course it was fully studded. But that was strictly a trail sled. You didn't want to get it stuck or coming back in June seemed like a good idea. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

moodnacreek

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 05, 2022, 06:51:41 AM
Then their's always the frozen rocks in the log.

:D :D See debarked too.
You need a debarker and so do I. Just can't bring myself to bring home any more machinery. How much can one man do? And with the price of fuel the enthusiasm is going away.

Resonator

QuoteAs far as blades go , I can't say enough about the notched tooth blade or a low hook angle in 3/4 tooth spacing. 
I have to saw in the winter or I wouldn't make it in the sawmill business. 
The notch tooth blade keeps me going when the turbo 7's wont.
Thanks for posting Bruno, are those notched blades resharpenable? How do they compare to regular blades on how long they stay sharp before they get dull? ???

chet

Even after a quadruple sidetrack this thread still managed ta get back on track.   :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Walnut Beast

Bruno of NH

The notched tooth blades stay sharp and last.
The 7/8 tooth spacing can be sharpened by DW bands.
I have modified a chainsaw sharpener for the 3/4 tooth spacing ones and get up to sharpenings 
$270 for (15) bands delivered

Thank You Sponsors!