iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ordained Cedar

Started by Jeff, January 06, 2023, 08:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

The day Sawyer died, the breeder, who I had kept in touch with over the years, not knowing about Sawyer yet, listed on facebook a new litter of pups available now. When I saw it, it tore me up again. It just seemed like another cruelty. It reminded me to let her know about Sawyer, because she really kept track of him and loved seeing him in videos. I wrote her and told her about sawyer and I dont know why, but I asked if those pups were from Sawyer's mama. She responded back yes, that was his mama, but the daddy was Sawyers dad's son from another female.

Yesterday morning we got in the truck to come up here to the cabin, simply to try and escape the overwhelming unbearable sadness at home. I looked at my messages before I backed out of the driveway, and there was a message from Marylin.  She said she and her daughter were sitting there crying at our loss and wanted us to come and get the one male from the litter. Only one male and 6 females in the bunch.

Tammy and I had been laying on the floor of the vet just the afternoon before crying, telling each other we would not, could not, get another dog.

We drove to Ritchie rd, somewhere between Gladwin and West branch and met the pup. Somewhere in the first 3 seconds of meeting him he swayed our resolve to not ever having another dog again after Harley is gone. Marylin would not take any of the near $1000 she gets for her pups. It was her and Sawyer's gift to us.

We gathered him up and headed for the cabin with Harley. About a mile down the road, he puked up his breakfast and the cedar bedding he had been chewing on in the barn all over Tammy.

Meet Cedar. :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Ah man, I simply could not respond to your tribute to Sawyer on the other topic and now you do this.  :'(

Those are now tears of joy and excitement for You, Tammy, and Cedar.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

Sweet. He will never replace Sawyer of course, but that's not the point. He's a handsome pup and I am reminded of the huge paws Sawyer had at that age and those look like the same ears too. Seems like Harley is tolerating him well too, probably knowing the training that lays ahead for the new upstart.
 Welcome Cedar and know that you have a family that loves you more than you could ever guess.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Don P

We felt that way for about 3 years last time we lost a really good buddy. I don't think that is how we are built, you need a little trouble at home  :)

I think every 16 year old should be issued a carsick pup as standard equipment  :D.

Stephen1

There is nothing like another pup to help you thru these times....
He is a cutie....
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Resonator

Like it was meant to be. I kinda figured the next chapter in the story would go like that. :)
Very similar story as my best customer and his wife, who are just as close with their "goldens". Their beloved dog died unexpectedly right before he went on a trip. While returning home he passed through a town that had a breeder with just the right puppy available. running-doggy
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Walnut Beast

Like Res said! It was meant to be ❤️🙏

JD Guy

The loss of a good friend and companion pet and the decision whether to get another one sooner, later or not at all is absolutely a very personal decision. When we lost our 8 year old GSP (Dixie, an absolute sweetheart of a dog and bird hunting companion) we struggled with the decision for several months. Our vet always suggests his clients get a new dog sooner rather than later. I believe his rationale is to help with the grieving process.

Truth is, when you bring home a pup you generally don't have a lot of time to grieve because you are too busy with potty training and resulting lack of sleep :).

Our Millie (GSP) is now 14 and not in the greatest of health so we are facing a situation not unlike yours Jeff. Since I am soon to be 72 it will be a tough decision on getting another GSP or not. 

Congratulations on your new pup and enjoy every minute! Very happy for you!

WV Sawmiller

Jeff,

Since you have already ordained Cedar now you will have to start teaching him to pass the collection plate. :D You can probably start him using his food dish. ;)

Congratulations. Pretty pup and I know you and Tammy will spoil him rotten but that is what dogs are for.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

upnut

And so it was, that The Cabin on Tamarack Ridge came to be known as  Cedar's Villa..... :)

Welcome Cedar, you have big paws to fill. Looks like you have a good start!

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Jeff

9 weeks and 20 lbs. Way bigger than sawyer was at that point, but Sawyer was sitting and shaking hands by then, but we got him before he was 8 weeks.

Tom King

That was perfect timing!!

doc henderson

Well God Bless!  We are not always the ones to figure out what we need for ourselves.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

CCCLLC

Looking forward to this new chapter. Sawyer is smiling. 

Nebraska

:) Thanks for the pictures Jeff.  Keeper I'd say.

SwampDonkey

I was gonna ask you when you was going to get a new pup, but didn't want to push any buttons too soon. ;D He'll be loved just as much as sawyer. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Last night was the first night here at home. I swear, this pup was placed here by a greater power. It's like he has been here a month. House breaking is going extraordinarily well for a guy born in a barn and who had never been in a house before he was taken in for Tammy and I to meet just 2 days ago.

For the last two weeks, I prayed to god to help with the pain of Sawyer's distress. I had no idea this would be his plan.

Chuck White

I couldn't read your OP without a tear in my eye, very heartfelt story!

Your family is blessed Jeff.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Cedarman

I really like  stories that have a happy ending.  Glad you found a pup you instantly fell for.  I also like the name.
I won't have trouble remembering.  Can't wait to meet him.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Machinebuilder

*DanG it's dusty here.

I hate to hear about someone losing their dogs.

Sawyer had a great life with you and will always be remembered.

Cedar will have a great life and has found a great home. He will help to ease your pain.

Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

thecfarm

Cedar has no idea how lucky he is. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Cedar was born Nov 1st, so that actually makes him 10 weeks tomorrow.

That is a 119lb lab.

Old Greenhorn

Sweet photo, obviously Cedar knows where he stands....... for now. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Walnut Beast

Cute crew! Relaxing peacefully. For now!

Walnut Beast

Keep the pictures and updates coming 👍

Thank You Sponsors!