iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rubber tire harvester

Started by ehp, May 03, 2023, 07:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

Yeah. Not mill employee though. Sub contract loggers.

Firewoodjoe

I don't know any mill that has a crew and it's got the mill name on the door. They're all separate companies and subcontract. 

Corley5

Yup, shows how bad the markets are. I've been told that red pine is about the only thing up here worth cutting right now. Sugar maple veneer isn't too bad but grade logs are far from good. Basswood pulp is best left in the woods. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Firewoodjoe

Red pine dropped $2 a ton last week. I'm expecting more. 

ehp

This happened a fair long time ago up north , there was a fairly big piece of ground for sale , pretty much 3,000 acres , We bid on it but did not get the deal, A company from way out west got it so the land was owned by a person from over seas and the new guys got him to hold the paper on the land and they would make payments every 6 months . The loggers went out west and leased all the equipment in a new company name BUT shipped all machines by rail back out east , They made 2 payments on the machines , They had a pile of machines like 4 grapple skidders, 2 tree cutters, wheelerloaders  and dozers, Cut the whole place in the 6 months as it has alot of nice hard maple and shipped it to the USA, hide all the machines and left the country , No one got paid and I'm sure they did very well cause there was a pile of loads that went out everyday and they worked 7 days a week 

BargeMonkey

There's some skidders buried in the ground here, timber theft laws in NY where changed because of the family down the road from me. Another family owned a deere franchise in the late 70s mid 80s, when they started having trouble they took a bunch of new iron, trucked it up north and its still sitting in the woods, deere was looking for it for a while, knew where it is but was to hard to get. I'm always amazed when I've seen a few guys go out, lose it all and 2yrs later a pile of new stuff, new name. The repo man is looking for another guys buncher down here right now, it's coming, why I get leery about spending money like Ed, stick with my poverty iron.

barbender

One thing I've noticed about the money people that I've known in my life, they always talk like they don't have any and bring up other money people and how much money they have. I'm thinking Barge and Ed fit the profile😂😂
Too many irons in the fire

ehp

God Barbender I am sure your smarter than that . I'm a old white over the hill busted up bald man.   Now Barge is just like you . LOADED  in Coin .  And everyone's Hero

barbender

I don't know, I think Ontario Al has a good read on you. He liked my comment twice!😂 I didn't even know the Forum software would allow that😁

BargeMonkey

I just like busting Ed's stones 🤷‍♂️.

EricR

$1,050,000 gets you a package deal
2020 ergo and buffalo 145 and 800 hours.  Right next door to barge. I would be curious how many of his brown paper bags are needed 

nativewolf

Come on Eric...just right next door?  Million flat and you are on easy street making millions and living the good life without committing adultery with the tugboat crew.  Actually an Ergo at 145 hours is barely broken in.  Must be a story there.
Liking Walnut

BargeMonkey

Everyone wants to be a Rockstar. That couple year old Tigercat team still sits for sale in CNY. This iron sits 1hr 20mins west of me. 

nativewolf

Quote from: barbender on May 08, 2023, 07:13:09 PM
I don't know, I think Ontario Al has a good read on you. He liked my comment twice!😂 I didn't even know the Forum software would allow that😁
Always wise to ignore a bald old man who claims to be poor with a hot wife and a sports fishing boat.    
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: BargeMonkey on May 09, 2023, 01:44:58 PM

Everyone wants to be a Rockstar. That couple year old Tigercat team still sits for sale in CNY. This iron sits 1hr 20mins west of me.
Big payments on a firewood team I guess or if you only had hardmaple to cut.  145 hours isn't yet to the 300 hour service for fluid changes in the boggies etc.  145 in 1 year?  Now going on second year? 
Liking Walnut

ehp

Barge can swing that easy . I think I'm just going to have to suck it up and most likely stay with what I got . I'm pretty old to be looking at a million dollar machines .  I can work 10% of the time with what I got and at the end make the same amount clear working 100% of the time and paying huge payments with the million dollar stuff . I will never be famous like Barge but that's OK . I do not to be lol

Firewoodjoe

I seen those ponnse also. There are a few under 1000 hours for sale. I'm sure they all have a story. But basically it adds up to the same. Money and or wrong wood. 

Firewoodjoe

New equipment only works when you have the right wood and steady sales. Trying to cut lumpy big hardwood or selling on quotas hurts a guy fast with those 1million dollar oh so fast machines. I guess if you can afford an old one you can afford a new one don't always apply after all. 🤷‍♂️

Riwaka

The old machine vs new machine discussion is still relevant if the California/ Euro situation spreads, that you are not allowed to operate the no/ low tier diesel engines machines on Government land/ Public property and this spreads to private land etc.

The future some Borntragers with an electric chainsaw? 
https://www.borntragertreejacks.com/?page_id=25

Repower the old narrow skidder with a hydrogen burning engine cummins, cat etc.

JCB give a few clues in this one. Very high turbo boost, combustion temps low to avoid NOX, 
JCB is moving to hydrogen power for all their big machinery. Here’s why. - YouTube

The tug boats already have batteries (2 hour coffee break charge times), hydrogen/ diesel dual fuel  and tri fuel etc.

barbender

Haha that's what I need, an electric motor in the Pettibone cable skidder. Or hydrogen. I'm not picky😁

Southside

I ordered the X Large Mr Fusion add on kit for my skidder, arrival time from Amazon is estimated at 20 years. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ehp

My problem is I really really do not believe 99.9% of what the govt is trying to shove down my throat . I believe I'm smarter than most of them cause when I point blank as them a question they cannot answer it with real true facts . I'm not a yes kind of a person . Show me what your trying to tell me with real facts that make sense not because your trying to make me depend another 500 grand because you say so which means you got paid for taxes plus all taxes making the machine . We hot a carbon tax on fuel here that is just plain crazy and killing everyone BUT  our great leader is flying his jet all over the world everyday and I mean everyday . He is never here so if pollution is this bad why does he have a different set of rules than everyone else

EricR

I just came across a ponsse buffalo dual on facebook.  A forwarder/harvester. It doesn't mean anything to me but has a H53 head. What is the reason why these multi purpose machines are not more popular

barbender

Most, if not all of the Ponsse Dual machines out there ended up being just forwarders. I've never ran one myself, but guys told me that the forwarder crane just doesn't have enough power, you end up having to process over your wheels, and it's difficult to make a proper slash mat. I would think one could modify their method to accommodate the machine though. 

chevytaHOE5674

On the Ponsse dual machines the forwarder crane isn't super strong, and the H53/H5 head is on the small side best suited for smaller softwood.

Think of the combo machines like a leatherman it's an OK set of pliers and a screwdriver... But you wouldn't want to use one to tighten pipes or put in screws 8 hours a day.

Thank You Sponsors!