iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Adding wiring............

Started by Burlkraft, December 28, 2005, 09:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlkraft

I wish I had the guys here that built my house............... :( :( :( :( :( But I had nuthin' to do with that :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

I have a full log house and I have no outlets .....well not many.......and I need more. What I am lookin' for is some outlet boxes and wire covers that I can mount on the logs and run through the floor to the basement. Maybe I am thinkin' all wrong, but I don't think I can run wires through the logs now. :-\ :-\ Ohh, it also has to meet code ??? ??? ???

If anybody else has any bright ideas please let me know. I'm stummped :o :o :o
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jim_Rogers

One way to add outlets is in the baseboard.
Just create a baseboard and put the outlet box in it and then wire it up from the basement.

Hope that helps....

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Burlkraft

Jim,

I been thinkin' about the baseboard thing.....and I have a plan :D :D :D :D :D :D

The Baseboards will work out great and they also will cut down on my wiring labor and holes I have to punch through the floor ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Thanks for the advise smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

srjones

One of Tedd Bensen's books has some good details on how to do that (wiring in the baseboard).  I'll see if I can find it today and give you the page number.
Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

srjones

Okay, from looking on Amazon, this is the one:

The Timber-Frame Home : Design Construction Finishing
by Tedd Benson

From searching the text, pages 139-149 appear to have some details.

Hope that helps...
Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

rcolmansr60

The baseboard method is the way I was going to do it back when I thought I was going to be able to build a TF. The only caution is some place in my reading I read that some inspectors require the outlets to be 18" from the floor. Mine didn't but you may want to be sure and check.
Dick

Burlkraft

Thanks for the info guys....................

I'll be sure to check the building code on outlet height before I get started 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Minnesota_boy

Not just the building code, but the inspector too.  It's best to please him.  If you can't please him, find another inspector.  You hire the inspector, make sure you hire one who works with you instead of against you.  It's all national electrical code, but some inspectors think they know more than what the code states.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Don P

We don't hire the inspector here, he is a county employee. I have had independent inspectors in some places. Either way if there is some dispute he should be able to point out the problem chapter and verse from your applicable code book. If it is a gray area of interpretation you can appeal his judgement call. They can often use their judgement to say that in a situation like this, upgrading your electric even if it is a couple of inches lower than ideal is safer than not allowing you to upgrade or making it prohibitively expensive. One reason to keep him your ally  ;).

Thank You Sponsors!