iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Organizing workers in the woods

Started by Tom, June 08, 2001, 09:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Some time ago I was felling trees in a neighboring swamp and as a tall 24" oak began to fall my son whizzed up on the farm tractor.  He had been skidding and was returning for another log.  

He turned and grinned at me as I watched in horror as the tree fell within 3 feet of the tractor.  Limbs were all over it.

He could have been crushed or stabbed and I would never have lived it down.

We had a long talk.  I still blame myself because I must not have made him understand the importance of staying at the landing till called.

We were very fortunate that we were given another chance.

timberbeast

Yep,  Tom.  Glad he lived to tell!  When my pop was alive,  we had a kind of signal,  as he backed to the log,  I'd hook on the chain and give him a nod to pull as he sat on the tractor.  We never planned it,  it was just the way we did it.  Once,  and I remember it was a big Yellow Birch log down behind some slashing,  I looked up and yelled:  "Hold on!",  because I had just gotten the slide hook on,  but had my glove caught under the chain on a piece of limb.  He took off,  but he saw the look on my face (luckily) ,  hit the clutch,  reverse,  and jumped off the tractor.  I got a few bruised knuckes,  but what COULD have happened scared the hell out of us.  From then on it was a "real" signal,  A big thumbs up over the head!
Where the heck is my axe???

Ron Scott

Always watch when you are approaching a tree faller at work; be sure that he knows that you are nearby, and don't assume that the cut tree will fall in the direction that he has planned or that you think it will. Give him room and stay back a good distance until the tree is down safely on the ground.

~Ron

smwwoody

remember that 2 tree lengths away from a feller is a good rule of thumb. it does not always work though. remember the domino effect the tree you are cutting may up root another one on its way down and that will much enlarge the danger zone.
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Thank You Sponsors!