iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peterson or Lucas

Started by treebiker, February 14, 2006, 09:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treebiker

Greetings from a future sawer or is that saurer? I know it's not saw her.  Anyway, I'm in the residential tree care business and we throw away some pretty big logs, well, big for Georgia anyway that I know we should be cutting into lumber. I think a swing blade mill would be best for what we're looking to do but, whats the pros & cons of the lucas & Peterson mills. They both look great to me. And all my wood will have the big potential of nails or even worse.
Do the metal detectors work on logs? Any help here would be much appreciated. You might even point me in the direction of a good used mill, with low hours of course. Thanks
Sonny, can you make me dough bowl out of that log?  Yes sir, but your bowl will only turn out pine biscuits.

getoverit

Metal detectors work well on logs, but do yourself a favor and spend the $200 or better to get yourself a good one. I wouldnt trust my Peterson blade to one of those el-cheapo detectors.

I dont know what part of Georgia you are in, but I'd be happy to demo my Peterson mill for ya. Im in the NE corner of Florida, right on the Georgia Border.

I havent had mine long, but even so I feel like an expert at it because it is so well built and so easy to use. PM me if you are interested in a demo.

Ken
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

treebiker

Thanks, I'm 50 miles west of Atlanta. I saw your post with your new mill, thats great. Why did you chose peterson over Lucas?
Sonny, can you make me dough bowl out of that log?  Yes sir, but your bowl will only turn out pine biscuits.

getoverit

Quite frankly, it was because of Peterson's presence here on the forum. If you are new to the forum, there are a BUNCH of the users on here that are Peterson reps, even though their user name doesnt suggest it. As far as I know, nobody from Lucas is here on the forum to talk to. Lucas doesnt have very good literature on their site, and it is the most confusing thing trying to find someone to talk to about a Lucas, here on this forum, or on other forums.

Here on THIS forum, the head cheese from Peterson is available to talk to, as well as their technical guys, sales people, and even the US reps. THEY will spend the money it takes to call you, if you dont want to spend a long distance phone call. They even have a toll free number to call them from anywhere in the US.  I actually had several calls from Trevor in New Zealand before I bought my mill, and had some long conversations about technical questions, pricing, options, etc.

After getting the mill here, I was milling lumber within an actual hour of the time I started assembling the pieces ( a kid could put it together because it's so simple to do). I am impressed with every part and piece of the mill. It is well thought out, and well assembled. it is also EXTREMELY easy to use. My wife weighs every bit of 105 pounds, and even SHE can cut lumber with it.

I know that if I ever do want to add some features to the mill, or just need parts or technical advice, the guys from Peterson are there for me, and more than happy to hear my southern drawl voice on the phone. They are right here among us also, and have become some of my best friends on the forum.

Hope this helps !

treebiker

Thanks getoverit, The peterson looks really well made and it's seems that everyone is pleased with the machine and the company. I'll be digging for info for the next few days and maybe get some advise from some of you guys in the know. Looks like theres lot of knowledge on this forum and I don't want to try to re-invent the wheel here. This sawmill idea might even bring in some new tree care customers too. I wish I had this mill in hand right now. I'm taking down some pines tomorrow thats 3 ft diameter at the butt end and about 85 ft. tall.

DanG

So, Getoverit, how do you like your new mill?  Don't hold back, just go ahead and let it out. ;) ;D :D

Welcome in, Treebiker.  Lucas and Peterson both make good mills.  Just be sure to give both of them a good look-over before you decide which one is for you.  There are some subtle differences that might be important to you.

As for the metal detectors, definitely get one and use it.  I never hit metal when I use mine.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

treebiker

Thanks DanG, I can't imagine running a mill on urban wood without a detector, so that will be a must have purchase. Any good brands suggested?

getoverit

:D :D :D DanG it, I was holding back  :D :D :D

I got another surprise for ya DanG.. it will have to wait till tomorrow though. ;D

I know a good thing when I see it, or I wouldnt have "borrowed" your idea on the log lifter.  Sorry if I was going on a bit heavy there, but I'm so enthusiastic right now that I just couldnt help myself ;D

treebiker, if you do a search (using the search button above) for "metal detector" you will find a really good thread we had a couple of months ago about them. Lots of people using different ones. Mine is a bounty hunter 200 and I'm happy with it. There are others out there just as good if not better. I got mine from wally world, and paid about $200 for it.

DanG

Mine is a Fisher, and I'm pleased with it.  I probably paid more than I could have gotten away with.  It has a bell and a few whistles I don't really need.  It does have a speaker, so I don't have to use headphones, which I like.  I think the model # is 1225X.

Don't take those big pines to the dump!!  If you don't think you can put them to use, get them to someone who can.  We have members near you that have mills.  Check out the Members Map.  GareyD must be right next door to you, and he has a Mighty Mite mill.  Also, DonE911 is at Blairsville, and he has a Peterson for sale.  Take a look at the "For Sale" section below.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

brdmkr

It will be a drive for you (I'm located in the SW corner of the state), but I'd be happy to demo my Lucas 618 for you.  It works well for me.  Welcome to the forum.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

scsmith42

Treebiker, welcome to the forum.

I recently purchased a Peterson WPF.  It hasn't arrived yet, but the following items swayed my decision in Peterson's favor.  For background, my principle interests are cutting very long and large beams for timber frame type applications, and quartersawing.  These goals narrowed my selection down to a swing blade as opposed to a band mill.

First - Peterson basically invented the swingmill concept that both they and Lucas use.

Second, you can double-cut with a Peterson mill without having to pick up and turn the carriage.  You can't do this with the Lucas.  I often work alone and this was an important feature for me.

Third - their customers consistently rave about them.

Fourth - you can cut a bigger cant with the Peterson than you can with the Lucas.  Considering my goals, this was also important.

In Lucas's defense, they also have an excellent reputation and their customers rave about them.  Their US Dealer - Bailey's - also has a great reputation for excellent customer service.

You probably won't go wrong with either mill.  Hope this helps.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

treebiker

Thanks Guys, I'll be checking in often. I gota go saw some logs tonight so I can cut some cut some trees tomorrow. My lids are getting heavy.   ::) 

TinMan

Treebiker

I think you should get the videos for both mills to help you decide. I spent many hours watching them both and researching on the net before I decided. I chose the peterson over the lucas because of the ability to more easily double cut and the fact that both vertical winches are on one end of the mill, just made more sense. They are both great mills and either will suit you well. Good luck and welcome to the forum....

Tracy :)

lawyer_sawyer

welcome Treebiker,

I have gone through this same fun adventure of narrowing down the type of mill.  through it all I think Peterson was always one step ahead of Lucas in several things.  The biggest one though is that there isn't the extra bit of walking from end to end as there is on the Lucas and they are also continually working to improve the machines they have and think of new ways to help those with their machines.  From what I understand the owner's area of the peterson site is supposed to be another way they can help the owners fully utuilize the saw that they get.

That being said if you are certain that you are going to be getting a mill or that you are most likely going to get a mill and you have some place to stack logs instead of giving the logs that you would have now away find a place to get them up off the ground staged so taht when you get a sawmill you could just setup and go to town.  Be sure to look into a product called Anchorseal (SP?)  taht will seal the ends of the logs so that you don't have as much degrade from the logs sitting. 

There are several posts on here about how to keep logs fresh.  Also if you do this and you can't get the mill as soon as you want it might be that there is someone who could cut on shares so that youcould see what kind of product you would have at the end of the day and not be out too much money.

welcome again
L.S.
Love the outdoors, chainsaws, my 300 win mag, my wife and my son but not exactly in that order.

pep

Welcome to the forum Treebiker

I was in the same boat as you about a year and a half ago.  I bought the Lucas 827 with slabbing attachment.  I have nothing but good things to say about the mill and Bailey"s.  The customer service from Bailey's is second to none.  If I had a problem with the mill, or parts or warranty, It was looked after very promptly by Sam @ Bailey's.  If something broke on the mill, it was FedEx'd right away with little down time, no questions asked. 
The mill was very easy to assemble and I was milling like a pro after about an hour of milling.   You will find more Petersen owners on here, but I hope Sigidi or Solodan will both pipe in with their 2 cents.

Cheers Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

Ga_Boy

Treebiker,

First welcome to the FF.

I am one of the Peterson Regional Center Reps here on the FF.

I run a WPF 10" w/ a 27 HP Koler.  

I am biased towards the Peterson.  There are a few Swingers running close to you.  If you want a demo let me know and I'll assist you in finding one.

If you want to see something now check out my web page there are pictures there in the gallery of a Red Leaf Maple I milled; it was 54"dia.

http://www.amslumber.com

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

crtreedude

Welcome TreeBiker,

You know, I have always found it difficult to ride a bike on trees - but it can be done. A few times I think I have tried to climb a tree with one - but that is another story...

We use a Peterson here - I gather it is fairly old - but it runs very well.  They seem to be very easy to use - Harold has even let me use it!

I don't know much about Lucas but people seem to like them as well. I have heard it said that a Lucus is similar to an ATS. Peterson has other models that can really help if you are trying for production.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

solodan

Welcome  Treebiker,

As Dan G mentioned, they both have subtle differences.

I own a Lucas 827, I live where there is no flat ground, so it was between the ATS and the Lucas. I really think that I would have nothing but good things to say, regardless of which mill I bought. The thing that peterson owners complain about most often with the lucas, is that the vertical winches are at opposite sides of the mill. This is the one diffeance I  like the most. You can easily cut with the taper of the log, which is very usful for certain species. Also I have needed to cut tapered cants and this was also useful. I do like the hand wheel side to side adjustment on the Peterson. I also think that Peterson has outstanding customer service, but so does Bailey's, and they are also a one stop shop.

KnotBB

I too have some questions on the differences between the two mills as to the size log they will cut.  
First to compare apples to apples I think that the Peterson equivalant to the Lucas 618 is the ATS 8".  Both keep the side rails out of the considerable amount of sawdust that is generated.  How do the Peterson WPF people cope with keeping the rails clean?

Dollar for dollar there's not a lot of difference

Peterson appears to have a larger presence on this board than Lucas but both both companies have good press here.  Support is important.    

Peterson ATS puts an upper limit of 1.5 meters on the size of log they will cut, whereas Lucas states they will cut any size log under 16 ½  feet long any diameter.  Sam Bailey sent me a picture of a 7' D. Fir that was being cut in Oregon with a Lucas.  The ability to cut any size log is what made Mobile Dimension and Mity-mite, both Oregon companies.  Both cost twice what the swing mills cost.

Big logs are not that uncommon on the left coast.

I realize that's not an issue for most but at least in Oregon a situation has happened in regards to big logs (over 32").  Very few sawmills can convieniently cut them.  The mills that still can generally envolve hualing the logs a long distance to get them there.  There is just not enough of the larger logs any more to support every mill being able to cut them.  I have two sawmills near me that have to re-sell their oversize logs and ship them a 100 miles or so  and that is lost profit  :-[.    Also we have "chip culls" (30+% cull) many of which are large. The heart has rot and can't be chucked in a lathe to peel and/or the lumber yield is too low for the mills to make dimension lumber.   These sell as pulp wood at less than $30/ton and have to shipped to get that.  Many of those larger logs are too short to ship by themselves.  (12' is short)  They're shorter than the distances between the bunks on log trucks.  

Many of the big logs come from the but cuts and have lots of taper.  Lucas touts the ability to be able to cut with the taper where Peterson touts the less walking to raise and lower from one end.  Cutting with the taper gives higher grade lumber.  Why can't the Pertson cut with the taper?  I'd think that they could with blocking on one end.  Why can't the Peterson ATS also cut any size log?

I'm looking for input please.

I see an opportunity for a mill that can cut any size log.   One 52" X 16' log is just over 2,000 Bft.  Not a bad days work for only one log.  

Am I crazy?  

To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity.

rbjones03

I reviewed both mills before I decided on the peterson. I also looked at the Brand X .

I my opinion all three seem well made and could do the job I wanted, the thing that sold me on the Peterson was the all stainless steel and aluminum construction.

I have not regretted my choice for one minute. I called the factory the other day with a technical question, and Jake Peterson call me back within 10 min. and stayed on the phone for almost 40 min. working me through the issues I was having.

First class support for a fist class mill. :P :P :P :P :P
Peterson WPF 8 HI-LO Large Frame

bugmeist

Treebiker,

I also own a Lucas 618.  It is very easy to set up and use. I've set up on some pretty rough terrain but had no problems.  The service from Lucas has been excellant. 

I do wish the Lucas double cut though (as I'm told the Petersen does).

Good Luck with your mill search.
100 acres, Lucas 618, Universal Tractor w/loader, chainsaws, cant hooks and not enough time to play!
Fear is temporary...regret is forever.   www.bugshirt.com

Troy

Bugmeist -

You can double cut with you Lucas, just a pain to do so because you have to take the mill head off the rails and turn it around for the back cut.  The Peterson only requires you to take the guard off and reverse the direction travel for the back cut.  It is pretty easy with my ATS.

KnotBB -

All of the swing mills have a maximum size limit and it is determined by the width of the saw frame that the head travels on.  You can chock up the mill to get it high enough to start cutting real big logs then put the frame down on ground level as you get a ways through it.  Do a search in the Forum Gallery for ATS and you will find some pretty impressive photos of some of our boys down under milling huge gum trees with Petersons.  I just recently milled a 47" white oak with my ATS, you can see pictures from a few of my posts on the forum as well.

Cutting with the taper is easily done with my ATS.  There are crank handles on the far end of the mill that you can adjust up or down.  I use this method to level the mill travel to the log when I have a big log on the ground that is sloped as opposed to blocking up one end of the mill.  It is simple and quick.

I too did a lot of research before deciding on Peterson.  I really liked the construction of the Peterson and the ability to easily perform double cuts.  I don't think I have ever heard a Lucas owner complain about their mill, so I'm sure they are quality mills as well.  There is a price difference as you may well know, but I think for me the Peterson was well worth the price difference and the wait.
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

Captain

Hey guys, everyone knows where my bias is  ;D

Just for the record, the Lucas 618 is a 6" cutting capacity 18hp mill.  Peterson does make 6" cutting capacity mills, with any powerplant in a range between 13hp Honda and 27hp Kohler.  The difference in option cost to move up to 8" is just over $500, therefore I sell few 6" mills.

Troy beat me to the "cut with the taper" answer...the ATS is equipped with end cranks at the "far" end to allow taper adjustment.  This becomes a little more difficult on the WPF.  As much hype is put into this capability, I don't use it very often. Most of my logs have at least one bad face to sacrifice the taper on with some short boards.

WPF mills are usually sold with the "HiLo" track option that puts the track to the left of the operator 4-6 feet above the ground, and well out of the sawdust.  When used in the "LoLo" position, one has to shovel often  ::)  I only setup LoLo for the small jobs, or the "one big log" job.

Peterson Sawmills cut 20 foot logs of limited diameter out of the box.  Standard ATS mills cut 6' in diameter with larger frame sizes available, Standard 6" and 8" WPF mills cut 4' in diameter with larger frames available, standard 10" mills cut just over 5' in log diameter with larger frame sizes available.  The ASM mills are all "large frame"  I guess your answer on size is tell us a time of order how big you want it..of course if you want to cut a larger log, it is possible by blocking the mill and rotating it 90 degrees after the top section is removed.

My favorite??  WPF.  Faster vertical adjustments, especially with the electric winch.  The track sections breakdown shorter for ease of transport, and there are physically less parts to setup and move.  Certainly more condusive to production when sawing alone.

Best of luck on your decision, both are good mills that cut quality lumber.

Captain

bugmeist

Troy,

I know the Lucas will 'double cut' if you turn the mill around.  I heard of someone that put a tripod on one end of the rails so he could hook on to the mill, lift it past the rails, spin it 180', and let it down at the same height he picked it up.  It sounded like it simplified making a double cut with a Lucas but I've yet to experiment with such a tripod.
100 acres, Lucas 618, Universal Tractor w/loader, chainsaws, cant hooks and not enough time to play!
Fear is temporary...regret is forever.   www.bugshirt.com

Troy

Now there's an idea!  You could use something like an engine hoist to lift the mill head and spin it when you need to double cut. 
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

Thank You Sponsors!