iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer 20'TH Anniversary Party Update

Started by Bibbyman, May 28, 2002, 10:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Some of you that attended the Wood-Mizer Anniversary party may have noted one little metal building between the exhibitor's tent and one of the large buildings.  If you didn't take a closer look,  you would think it was an incinerator or something.  Well,  it was "or something".  It was a Stirling engine fueled buy wood waste (or chicken dodo) that generated electricity.

I've just been doing some rooting around on the WWW and come up with some info on the Stirling engine and Wood-Mizer's involvement in bring this technology to our century.

Don Laskowski (founder of Wood-Mizer) has been working on this project for several years.

Here is a link to an interview with Don on the development of the Stirling engine.  It also gives some history on Don and the Wood-Mizer Company.

http://www.gatheringweb.com/entre_giving.htm

Here is a to a page on the Department of Energy web site with more info.

http://www.eren.doe.gov/biopower/projects/ia_pr_sm_IN.htm

Here is Don and Tom - Just two ol' buds at the WM party.

You thinks some day we'll have Wood-Mizer electric mill ran on the sawdust it makes?  Don,  you've got a new goal!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Scott_R

DanG, now I really wish that I had gone to the shindig! I knew that WoodMizer had bought Sunpower but didn't know much more. Was the stirling engine on the tour or locked up? Any word on when a shipping version will be available to the general public? I think that I will have to see if I can get on the list for testing sites. Sure would be cool to power my future house and shop with waste from the bandmill and then capture the waste heat from the engine to heat them both also. Thanks for the headsup Bibbyman! Scott_R

Bibbyman

I think they are gearing up for production but I don't know if that will be next fall or 2020?  We signed up to be put on an information list so maybe we'll learn more on this.

Here is the building the Stirling engine set in (beyond the LT15).

As you can see,  it was open to the public.  They were very excited about talking about it.   8)

The engine itself is only about 3' long and sets in that open metal box on top.  The rest is the wood furnace and lots of controls, etc.
Sawing since '94

Paul_H

Whatever happened to the Stirling project? Is it still happening or were there problems with the technology?

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Bibbyman

I don't know.  Maybe Sparks can give us an update. 
Sawing since '94

Paul_H

I'm looking forward to a report on the progress.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Thank You Sponsors!