iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Realistic production numbers on WM LT40HD

Started by LogDawg, May 23, 2007, 09:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

There's a tale about an old bull and a young bull standing on the top of a hill, looking down upon a field of heiffers.

The young bull says, "Let's run down there and make mad love to one of those heiffers".

The old bull said, "Let's walk down down there and......................".

Bibbyman

Quote from: Tom on May 27, 2007, 06:09:42 PM
There's a tale about an old bull and a young bull standing on the top of a hill, looking down upon a field of heiffers.

The young bull says, "Let's run down there and make mad love to one of those heiffers".

The old bull said, "Let's walk down down there and......................".

Watch it there Tom. 'else you you could be sent to the woodshed!
    smiley_bull_stomp

Some of us old bulls know that joke.   

How about "Death! ... by Boola-boola!" ?    :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

LeeB

The old bull, young bull joke is one of my favorite's to tell the younger fellows to show them you get more by taking your time and doing it right the first time.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LogDawg

All of my milling thus far has been 4/4. I did a couple of pine logs this morning and then finally got to some of the spruce in my pile. What a difference it makes hauling 2x6's off from a log. It dissapears in no time. I guess common sense would tell me that, but I have been so focused on sawing times that I wasn't thinking about the obvius. I had a little over 500' by noon doing 2 logs into boards and one into framing lumber and that included a couple hours grading the driveway with the tractor. Every log is a learning experience for me, but what really fascinates me is the fact that after I finish one I can't wait to start the next one. I have a ton of things to do around the house but I can't stay away from that mill long enough to do anything else.LOL.
  I spent the afternoon making a jig to cut tapered bench legs for some 3" pine slabs. I started with a 20"dia.  x 17"log and put it in the jig ,cutting it like a shingle so that it tapered to about 12" on the small end. They came out pretty good. I forgot to take some pics but I'll get some tomorrow. We have a lot of well to do tourists in the area that need custom made benches for thier front decks and rustic living rooms. I thought I'd make a few and put out front with a for sale sign and see what happens. I have been cutting some crotches to do some neat stuff with as well.
   If I was going after a heifer I would take the path less traveled.
Wood Mizer LT40HD
Kubota L4200
John Deer 40
D2 Cat
Home built John Doe tractor
Jonsered, Husky, Stihl

Tom

Like the rest of us, you have it bad, Logdawg.  I can't let a log go without wondering what it looks like inside too.

All that gung-ho stuff..  whew!!   You're making me tired.  I need a rocker and another cup of coffee.  :D :D

thecfarm

Don't know if you make rustic benches or not,but there was a post of someone using thier sawmill to cut the legs on it.They would put the legs into the bench and than dog the bench onto the mill with the legs up in the air.Saw the legs off all at the same lenght.Makes for a real easy job on having the legs just the right length.Saw some out with 1 or 2 live sides.That might sell too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LogDawg

Yep it is amazing what you can do with these things once you get thinking about it. The best part is you can make things that no one else can unless they have a mill. I would say that you couldn't get table legs any more perfect than sawing them upside down on a mill.
   We always used  crotches to put in boats for knees and breasthooks so I have always had an eye for crotches (that didn't sound right now did it) but never had anything other than a chainsaw to process them with. My full time job gets quite demanding for the next three months so I will be out of comission for a while but I have quite a bit of stuff cut that can be well seasoned by fall so that I can get creative.
Wood Mizer LT40HD
Kubota L4200
John Deer 40
D2 Cat
Home built John Doe tractor
Jonsered, Husky, Stihl

Thank You Sponsors!